Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for us unlucky disabled guys, we have no choice but to drive a slush box auto...yes yes I know autos suck. Or at least used to suck...

I read a post on here by one of the members who was replying to someone else questioning which automatic transmission manufacturer will be making it. Can't find it now..

I'm assuming these transmissions will not be on par to porches' PDK system but how good will it be? Do you think there will be a tune to possibly make the shifts criper and hold the revs longer?

To sum it all up, I will kill myself if they put some CVT like they have in the other models...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
444 Posts
So for us unlucky disabled guys, we have no choice but to drive a slush box auto...yes yes I know autos suck. Or at least used to suck...

I read a post on here by one of the members who was replying to someone else questioning which automatic transmission manufacturer will be making it. Can't find it now..

I'm assuming these transmissions will not be on par to porches' PDK system but how good will it be? Do you think there will be a tune to possibly make the shifts criper and hold the revs longer?

To sum it all up, I will kill myself if they put some CVT like they have in the other models...

Thanks in advance.
It won't be a CVT that's for sure. It's a 6 speed automatic with paddle shifters. It seems like it will still be the same Aisin transmission as the first gen vehicles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet, I'm glad to hear this. I was on the verge of deciding on a Miata...not that they are bad but so far the BRZ looks much more appealing

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yup.

On the BRZ they already announced a 6-speed auto, so I'm sure it will be the same. Probably just modified slightly for the larger displacement engine.

PDK is next-level amazing.

In fact, I recently had a chance to drive the Evo X and remembered driving it like a decade ago. At the time that auto-box was amazing, but now after having driven some Porsches if just feels brutal.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Official statements from Subaru say that they have a similar auto, but improved the software to hold gears longer during cornering.
I like when automakers do that. I swear most modern automatics actually purposefully up-shift as soon as you corner so you don't spin yourself our of control or understeer.

Going pack to the PDK, I LOVE the mode that holds gears all the way to redline if you're using it on a track or something, but on the road, it's just crazy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like when automakers do that. I swear most modern automatics actually purposefully up-shift as soon as you corner so you don't spin yourself our of control or understeer.

Going pack to the PDK, I LOVE the mode that holds gears all the way to redline if you're using it on a track or something, but on the road, it's just crazy.
Yes, I agree. I really think PDK is the industry standard. I read BMW will no longer make they're DCT. Apparently the M2 is the only model that still has the DCT which was probably the only real competition to the PDK.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The GTI's dual clutch is pretty sweet too. Not sure if it shares a lot with Porsche but for the price point it's great.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Thanks in advance.
Im in the same boat as u, disabled girl lol, I still can’t wait to test drive the new one with my suicide knob

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Which sports cars have you two owned?
So prior to being disabled I've owned only manuals. They are as follows
1) 92 Ford mustang Lx 5.0 (fast but dangerous first car)
2) 02 subaru wrx midnight blk
3) 02 subaru wrx station wagon (heavily modded)
4) 02 subaru wrx silver for HPDE

...jump to 2010 not really sports car but fun just the same

5) 91 bmw 318is
6) 89 bmw 325is
7) 91 bmw 325is
8) 91 bmw 318is

All the cars got sold within a year of purchasing because yes, ill confess i'm a crackhead. 2015 I got injured at work and took a break from my impulsive buying while I was healing. 2018 I purchased a JDM 91 bmw 325i mtech 2. This car was an auto but had the electric I think it's called steptronic transmission which holds the revs higher..

I sold this last one to help fund some renovations for the house. So it sucked and I regret it. But I had to pretend to be an adults and make an adult decision.

The car was beautiful and I liked everything except the HP.. I really like E30 chassis and think the looks are timeless. They just lack power and making HP is really limited and or expensive. If you try to do major power adders then you have to worry about failing emissions.

So in the last year I've been searching for another one to pop up for sale but they are really hard to find and or have sometimes unjustifiable asking prices and that's overseas...

While searching I discovered the GR86 possibly having more power and being redesigned. So, I'm at a cross roads now where I have to decide if I want new technology, reliability and better performance or the unique fun to drive classic. I'll try to add some pics...

·
Registered
444 Posts
So prior to being disabled I've owned only manuals. They are as follows
1) 92 Ford mustang Lx 5.0 (fast but dangerous first car)
2) 02 subaru wrx midnight blk
3) 02 subaru wrx station wagon (heavily modded)
4) 02 subaru wrx silver for HPDE

...jump to 2010 not really sports car but fun just the same

5) 91 bmw 318is
6) 89 bmw 325is
7) 91 bmw 325is
8) 91 bmw 318is

All the cars got sold within a year of purchasing because yes, ill confess i'm a crackhead. 2015 I got injured at work and took a break from my impulsive buying while I was healing. 2018 I purchased a JDM 91 bmw 325i mtech 2. This car was an auto but had the electric I think it's called steptronic transmission which holds the revs higher..

I sold this last one to help fund some renovations for the house. So it sucked and I regret it. But I had to pretend to be an adults and make an adult decision.

The car was beautiful and I liked everything except the HP.. I really like E30 chassis and think the looks are timeless. They just lack power and making HP is really limited and or expensive. If you try to do major power adders then you have to worry about failing emissions.

So in the last year I've been searching for another one to pop up for sale but they are really hard to find and or have sometimes unjustifiable asking prices and that's overseas...

While searching I discovered the GR86 possibly having more power and being redesigned. So, I'm at a cross roads now where I have to decide if I want new technology, reliability and better performance or the unique fun to drive classic. I'll try to add some pics...
Based on your history and what you're looking for I have a feeling the GR86 is going to tick off a lot of boxes for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes they kept them light and simple! I believe the gr86/BRZ will check many boxes. And am looking forward!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts