Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I buy a GR86, then I will probably want to track it in HPDE events. Does anyone know if that will void the manufacturer's warranty? In other words, if I am getting in some track days, and I have some sort of mechanical problem (either on the track or off), will Toyota say, "Sorry, but you have been running this car on tracks. We won't cover this failure."

I found an article on autoblog.com that says the following:
"A Nissan representative confirmed that the cars are not covered under warranty on a race track.
The world's largest automaker agrees with this policy. We confirmed that Toyota's warranty does not cover cars on a race track. And that policy includes performance models like the 2017 Toyota 86 and all Lexus models, including the F Performance line. That's right, the warranty does not make exception for the IS F, RC F, or GS F."

That does not sound encouraging.

The GR86 page on Toyota's website shows the car on a race track. In the first paragraph of text it says, "Engineered with the input of track-proven drivers." In the next paragraph, it says, "Born to take on any track." So, Toyota is emphatically marketing this car as ready for track use. It is my understanding that purchase of a new GR86 even gets you a complimentary NASA track day! Will participating in that event void the warranty? If it is the case that Toyota simply won't cover a car that's driven on track, then that is a load of garbage.

Now, I can see Toyota not covering a car with performance mods, particularly to the motor. I do not have plans to do such mods. But not covering mods is its own issue. I hope that Toyota will cover a stock car, maybe with upgraded brake pads and R-comp tires, regardless of use on the track.

·
Registered
22 BRZ
281 Posts
Get another set of wheels and tires. If you develop an issue put on the stock set and take it in. How would they know you've been tracking it? For good measure you could also reset the ECU first. When i worked at Honda we never questioned anything when it came to warranty, even had a kid tell us he was missing shifts street racing in an SI and they still covered a transmission. Might just depend on your individual dealer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the replies. I am thinking that these days a dealership can look at the ECU and get a good idea of how a person has been driving. Yes? Maybe not so much? In late model Porsches, the computer stores redlines and over-revs. Maybe they can also get a good idea of braking and speeds???

Yes, Toyota is providing NASA membership. Porsche also provides various track experiences for Porsche owners, but it is my understanding that the Porsche warranty says quite explicitly that driving the car on a track voids the warranty. Would they still honor the warranty for someone who did a few track days in an unmodified car? I hope so, but the warranty says they don't have to. Sad that a company that relies heavily on their racing/track experience to market their cars would have that language in their warranty, but apparently they do. (I have owned and tracked five different Porsches. I never purchased any of them new enough to worry about a warranty ;) )

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Might just depend on your individual dealer.
I love Toyotas. My wife has a business and we currently have five Toyota Tacomas and a 4-Runner. Our oldest Tacoma has 580,000 miles on it (Original engine runs great; the tranny was replaced at just over 500K. Can't complain about that!). The 4-Runner is the only one with less than 200K miles.

I f***ing hate Toyota dealers. Fortunately, I have a two-post lift in my garage, and I can do a lot of work myself. I rarely take any of my vehicles to Toyota dealerships, because every time I have taken a truck to a Toyota dealer it has been a shitty experience. So, I don't have much confidence in being treated well by a Toyota dealer. Living in the DC area, there are some dealerships in my area that I haven't gone to yet. Maybe I will have better luck with one of them if I ever need it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
This car was literally designed to be tracked. So I don't see how anyone could void your warrant for using it for exactly what it was designed by Subaru and Toyota to do.

Down to the whole reason it has a back seat that goes down being so that you can put 4 wheels and a jack in it and drive it to the track.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I mean tbh as long as you don't modify the engine they can't really void your warranty? How would they know that you tracked the car as long as you don't say it? I honestly don't think dealers can check your ECU to see how you drive the car. I could be wrong tho.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've had an WRX, STi and currently have a 2016 BRZ. I've had all three of them get warranty work done and they've all been tracked and autox'd. My local Subaru dealer knows me as a repeat customer so I think that helps along with the fact I've never taken in the car with issues that stemmed from track usage. I have zero experience with Toyota dealerships however.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Civic Si + 2022 BRZ
18 Posts
www.opentrack.com

I get an annual track insurance policy with them. I highly recommend track insurance for anybody doing HPDE or track days.
Great link! I'll have to take a look. I never tracked a car I didn't completely owned. This will be my first car which I'll be financing while still driving on the track, so it might be the smart move to have it insured 😅

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used to get my track car insured for on-track accident damage with Lockton Motorsports. Fortunately, I never had to make a claim, so I have no idea how they respond. I have heard some good things about the company from less fortunate drivers. My standard policy with Nationwide definitely would not cover damage sustained on a track!

I have seen in other forums where there are people who mix up track insurance with warranty issues. As far as I can tell, outfits like Lockton and OpenTrack are covering damage from contact with walls, other drivers, etc. I do not believe they cover mechanicals.

When the motor in my 996 failed going into turn 5 at Road America, I quickly reacted and got my car off the track in a safe manner. Very little fluid dumped on the track. Don't want to ruin the day for others by leaving a trail of oil and coolant around half the track! In hindsight, I wonder if it would have been better to put the car into a wall as soon as I saw the smoke. Then the car might have been covered by Lockton. That being said, I think the route I took was the way to go. I am very familiar with the law of unintended consequences! No point risking death or paralysis over a car ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used to get my track car insured for on-track accident damage with Lockton Motorsports. Fortunately, I never had to make a claim, so I have no idea how they respond. I have heard some good things about the company from less fortunate drivers. My standard policy with Nationwide definitely would not cover damage sustained on a track!

I have seen in other forums where there are people who mix up track insurance with warranty issues. As far as I can tell, outfits like Lockton and OpenTrack are covering damage from contact with walls, other drivers, etc. I do not believe they cover mechanicals.

When the motor in my 996 failed going into turn 5 at Road America, I quickly reacted and got my car off the track in a safe manner. Very little fluid dumped on the track. Don't want to ruin the day for others by leaving a trail of oil and coolant around half the track! In hindsight, I wonder if it would have been better to put the car into a wall as soon as I saw the smoke. Then the car might have been covered by Lockton. That being said, I think the route I took was the way to go. I am very familiar with the law of unintended consequences! No point risking death or paralysis over a car ;)
I've used lockton in the past, they are good but they stopped offering multiple events/days bundles and will only do one day or weekend policies at a time. Opentrack will give you single event, multiple events or annually policies. Additionally you can get a damage rider with Opentrack for damages to other people's property.

·
Registered
BRZ S (Limited) Manual Silver
531 Posts
You can’t get track day insurance for love nor money in Australia…so you roll the dice with it! 😳

There was a company that used to do it until a guy I know organised an event for the Porsche Club where 3 brand new GT3s got written off in one afternoon. Then they got out of the track day insurance business.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
1,897 Posts
You can’t get track day insurance for love nor money in Australia…so you roll the dice with it! 😳

There was a company that used to do it until a guy I know organised an event for the Porsche Club where 3 brand new GT3s got written off in one afternoon. Then they got out of the track day insurance business.
I think the GR cars have had a bit of a statement that track does don't automatically invalidate your warrenty. Might have something to do with them offering that Gazoo Racing Club membership.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
1,897 Posts
Warranty is one thing…insurance is another
Insurance is a google away it seems. Though I am not sure what the costs would be.

·
Registered
BRZ S (Limited) Manual Silver
531 Posts
Insurance is a google away it seems. Though I am not sure what the costs would be.

Okay…someone has reentered the game in Australia. The last people that did it had very high excesses and very low limits. Any more than about $10k damage and you were on your own. And it wasn’t cheap. I wonder what this lot are like?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.