Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
41 - 60 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
‘22 GR86 Trueno base 6AT
27 Posts
Used Porsche Macan S-340hp, GTS-360hp or Turbo-400hp. awd, performance oriented transmission, adaptive/radar cruise, adjustable suspension, adjustable exhaust if optioned, offroad capable, and luxury. May change your mind on hating hatchbacks.
I will second that opinion.
the Macan is not an SUV it’s a hot hatch on steroids. My wife WANTED the GR and she LOVES it. Her only concession to cost was the base instead of premium and her only concession to performance was an automatic because it meets her needs for commuting around town and she hasn’t driven a stick since high school and doesn’t want to live with one in the city.
Keep your GR, every time I drive it I am ear to ear grin and I have a 993 and a Macan GTS.
I will second the above recommendation that you find your wife (so that you can keep the GR) a used Macan
(Even if the I4Turbo base model). I am on my 2nd (first was an S delivered in Stuttgart driven all around Germany the Netherlands and Belgium and around the Ring with 200 miles on it,and to a DTM race and the trip of a lifetime). Current GTS was a Certified Preowned bargain loaded to the gills and not yet 50,000 Miles on it.
This car is simply the best car I’ve ever owned in my life and I’m 67 and have had Porsches Audis Saabs Alfas a Sterling Acuras & Hondas.

And for what it’s worth we don’t have kids but we have four small dogs, the Macan is perfect.

Keep the GR to keep yourself happy, get your wife a NICE vehicle to keep her happy. It will be worth the money.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I really love my car but the wife keeps insisting it’s to small and not safe for everyday driving. Plus with winter she is worried about the RWD
Too small for what?

“Not safe”? The car earned a “Top Safety Pick Plus” rating from the IIHS. It earned the highest possible grade in every single crashworthiness test.

Rear wheel drive in the winter? I live in upstate NY. We get plenty of wintry weather, including “lake effect” snow off the Great Lakes. With winter tires or even decent all-seasons, along with electronic traction control, it’s as safe as just about anything else out there. And some small-car attributes can actually be helpful in the winter, like brakes and steering needing to overcome less inertia with reduced traction. (If you’re driving a big ol’ tank at high speed, Newton’s Laws are a m*****f***er when you lose traction. An object in motion tends to stay in motion and all that.)

I want something sporty she wants FWD or AWD and automatic (my GR is 6 speed)
I’m thinking about a TRD Camry.
I love my wife. I might’ve leaned toward something more “practical” but she’s encouraging me to get what I really want. She has ulterior motives, though. We’re surrounded by rural, scenic, twisty roads, and she wants something fun to drive, too. She’d be disappointed if it wasn’t something sporty with a manual transmission.

·
Registered
22 GR86 6MT; 22 Corolla
527 Posts
It's a shame you don't like hatchbacks, if you were looking to save some cash and didn't care about speed AND needed something both you and your wife can comfortably drive I am personally a very big fan of the Corolla Hatch. The XSE manual has more safety features than the base 86 like MPH/Stop sign reader, emergency braking, built-in hotspot, heated seats, BSM, iMT (rev-match), lane departure warnings, distance aware cruise control, and it is imo a very very good looking car. If you both like manuals it has a pretty decent manual, it won't knock your socks off but it's not bad. If you get the XSE auto then you also get cross traffic alerting in the rear, remote start via Toyota app, lane keeping assist, and a few other features I can't remember off the top of my head. It's not fast, but it is fun to drive and with just a few little tweaks it is entertaining! I've talked another person into buying one and they are pleased as punch with it. Here's the one I traded in for my GR86, just had a Remark centre exhaust and RS-R Sport springs to help close that wheel gap just a bit.

If hatches are really not your cup of tea I'd probably steer you towards what TB said and say Mazda 3 turbo. They are very good looking as well, nice interior, safe, can't really go wrong with them.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
6 Posts
I really love my car but the wife keeps insisting it’s to small and not safe for everyday driving. Plus with winter she is worried about the RWD
So with that said I’ve begun looking for other vehicles.

I went to car shop and purchased a 2020 Subaru Legacy XT, nice car but after owning it for 5 days I took advantage of there buy back guarantee and got my GR back.
Any other suggestions?
PS I hate hatchbacks
you love your car and your wife both 100%. please accept this from someone who should have taken it himself: it does not need to be 'either/or', but 'both' can be embraced fully with love and compassion. meaning: man the guns, stand your ground, and GO FOR IT :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mazda 3 turbo is a great car. It will out perform the GR, have an automatic, can be had in hatchback or sedan and will last forever. My only gripe is the mazda infotainment system is kinda annoying to use.
Out perform in what way?

It won't out brake or out handle, the transmission only wants to be in 6th gear and the engine has zero top end. I guess if you're stop light racing up to 45, the Mazda might get the jump but I'd hardly call that performance.

I drove one and it's a nice car but regardless of the assload of torque it has- it doesn't have a performance bone in it's body. The steering is so slow that even if the powertrain was tuned for fun, the steering would kill it by itself.

If you want a cramped Lexus for $33k- it's perfect.

·
Registered
22 GR86 6MT; 22 Corolla
527 Posts
you love your car and your wife both 100%. please accept this from someone who should have taken it himself: it does not need to be 'either/or', but 'both' can be embraced fully with love and compassion. meaning: man the guns, stand your ground, and GO FOR IT :)
This is true for some folks, luckily my husband and I each pick and buy our own cars and right now I can't really drive anyways. Similar situation to yours, doesn't have to be either/or but we're fortunate it's just us, cats, no kids etc... DINKs. Working from home helps a lot with wear/tear/petrol etc. but if we're going on a trip it's almost always his Corolla we take anyways. He gets very nearly double the MPG I get in the 86, and its an auto so I can drive the thing with my wrong hand 'right'. If I'm absolutely desperate, totally crippled, and ready to put my life in God's hands then I'll say a little prayer and let him drive......... but I'm pretty much well on my way to death if I'm giving in and letting him drive me around 🤣 I've had grandparents that could pass him on a Hoveround, it is truly a frightening experience that I wouldn't wish upon anyone :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
The argument I made was that we have the practicality bases covered elsewhere, I need a reliable dd and since it’s my car I want the car I want if I’m shelling out $30k for it. It’s (barely) practical enough.

Sooo let’s say you do actually need a more practical car because you don’t already own options that will fulfill those needs. What you need is a 10-year old minivan/suburban/whatever awful car fills those requirements. Give the keys to your wife. Then head down to your friendly neighborhood Craigslist and get a motorcycle with 180hp. Practical problems solved. Fun problems solved.

Or she could back off and let you keep your car with a warranty, top safety marks, and some snow tires.

·
Registered
134 Posts
this is a hard one because without more context its hard to make recommendations.... If it were me i would have to find a car i really like before considering training in the GR. at the end of the day if you love the car you need to find another car you love before getting rid of it. because you could get any of the options listed in this thread and maybe even like them but always miss the GR thus not be happy. also keep in mind how limited these cars are. you wont be able to just get another one in a month or whatever

I get it though. The twins aren't practical by any means but does it have to be? you have to look at what you need in a car and see if the GR checks enough of the boxes. maybe you can use ur wife's car for all the practical things and don't really need yours to be practical. or maybe that doesn't work and you really need 4 door, hatch, higher off the ground etc. we don't know you guys have to identify that first then try to find a car second. GL though pickings may be slim nowadays

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dont buy a GR86/BRZ if this is your only car and married. You need a separate beater car or minivan (depending on family size/needs) for day to day responsibilities. I call the GR86/BRZ "the mistress". For showing off your guy friends and taking her out for weekend drives to nowhere.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
1,484 Posts
So with that said I’ve begun looking for other vehicles.

I went to car shop and purchased a 2020 Subaru Legacy XT, nice car but after owning it for 5 days I took advantage of there buy back guarantee and got my GR back.
Any other suggestions?
PS I hate hatchbacks
That's a real shame - don't worry, lots of people go through a divorce and happily remarry!

41 - 60 of 116 Posts