Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really love my car but the wife keeps insisting it’s to small and not safe for everyday driving. Plus with winter she is worried about the RWD
So with that said I’ve begun looking for other vehicles.

I went to car shop and purchased a 2020 Subaru Legacy XT, nice car but after owning it for 5 days I took advantage of there buy back guarantee and got my GR back.
I want something sporty she wants FWD or AWD and automatic (my GR is 6 speed)
I’m thinking about a TRD Camry.
Any other suggestions?
PS I hate hatchbacks

·
Registered
403 Posts
Tongue in cheek comment

Sounds like its time to trade in the wife.

In all seriousness nothing is going to be like the 86/BRZ except a Miata. The TRD Camry is a boat, and not AWD (unless you can spec it that way and I am unaware). You can get a CVT WRX but that isn't really "sporty".

Is there any room for compromise? Is this your only car?

·
Registered
'22 GR86 | Premium | 6MT | Steel Grey
194 Posts
I really love my car but the wife keeps insisting it’s to small and not safe for everyday driving. Plus with winter she is worried about the RWD

I went to car shop and purchased a 2020 Subaru Legacy XT, nice car but after owning it for 5 days I took advantage of there buy back guarantee and got my GR back.
Any other suggestions?
PS I hate hatchbacks
Guess what car got the IIHS Top Rated Safety Pick.

I don't know how the money shakes out, but the alternatives I considered while shopping for a GR86 that were practical were:

Honda Civic Si (manual only doh!)
Hyundai Elantra N - DCT available.
Mazda 3 Turbo sedan - Automatic only.
Good luck.

·
Registered
119 Posts
try the Mazda 3 turbo. Doesn’t feel anything like the car but it sounds like it would be a good choice for you and your wife’s needs

·
Registered
122 Posts
Before I read it, I was thinking Camry TRD. They're pretty BA and someone makes an exhaust for them (Borla I think).

Unlimited budget; Type R. Limited budget; Civic Si. Even more limited; Corolla SE Apex.

I looked at the Si HARD before selecting the GR. Ultimately, it came down to me wanting to have a bas ass car for my son to drive in 10 years. I had a lame car in HS and I want him to have something dope. The Si would be cool; but I don't think in 10 years it'll be as special as the GR; heck ICE RWD Coupes might be extinct by then. I have three kids (1 part time), and got my wife to sign off on it after seeing the Diono Radian in the back seat. My third vic is a 05 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited; so this wont be any worse than that (heck I have fixed back suspension seats in it, lol). We have a Pilot for family travelling.

If you're attached to the car, I would really consider keeping it and living with it for a while. Something like this might build some resentment. Luckily, my wife's response when we talked about the GR86 was "Only if it makes you happy." I mean...helps that it wasn't a motorcycle like we had discussed.

Good luck either way!

·
Registered
193 Posts
these posts are never about the wife not wanting the car but more about another thing that is pulling attention away from them. I have been married for 20 years and I can honestly say its never about the car. Just get a car for her and call it a day. she is happy and she doesn't have to drive or worry about your car. happiness is shared between 2 people, spouses are not responsible for the other persons happiness.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Elantra N will probably be your best bet. IF you can find one and IF you can get one for msrp. There are dealers out there that will have both you just need to look and call and then wait lol.

That said I drove a lowered 4th gen camaro in the winter for 15 years with winter tires and it was doable, you just have to be really careful and keep a shovel with you. I would think a car with even better weight distribution to do even better in the winter. Nothing you can do about it being too small though. If you need more room then you need more room.

·
Registered
2022-GR86 AT Premium
52 Posts
I eyeball the Kia Stinger from time to time. Not to be the fly on the horses ass, but she does have a point if you are in a place like Michigan with the snow comment. I have a secondary to drive in that shit.

·
Registered
2022 Trueno Blue 6MT GR86
103 Posts
these posts are never about the wife not wanting the car but more about another thing that is pulling attention away from them. I have been married for 20 years and I can honestly say its never about the car. Just get a car for her and call it a day. she is happy and she doesn't have to drive or worry about your car. happiness is shared between 2 people, spouses are not responsible for the other persons happiness.
I can attest to this lol the wife didn't want me to get a new car before her so we got her a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk and then her answer was "whatever makes you happy" lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ha, I'm on a similar boat. Wife didn't realize at first when I got the green light to buy a GR86 that it would be a summer only fun car. But she's mostly onboard but really wants a new car too that has a 3rd row and is liking a hybrid to boot.

I'm not going to lie as I used to drive an Audi A4 for a long time and miss that car. Still one of the best AWD systems out there I've driven. That's compared to my current car which is a Subaru Outback and I used to have an Evolution X (tuned on E85). That Evo was a fun car that I also miss. Nearly bought a used Audi S4 with manual a few years ago (the supercharged version). But couldn't come to an agreement on price from the seller. Ended up being a blessing as I ended up spending the down payment I planned for that on major home repairs (ice dams are a bane to my homeowner experience 🙃).

These days I can't stomach the maintenance costs of a newer Audi and they got rid of manuals too, at least in the US.

·
Registered
22 Trueno Blue
280 Posts

Any other suggestions?
PS I hate hatchbacks
can we have more context of where you live? does your wife has her own car? you have kids and how many??

In my case, I have own 2 2seaters and my last daily was a miata. My wife loves my 86 so much that we can now all go out (one 9yr old kiddo) anywhere and she felt so much safer with my car having all the 2022 safety. It's all relative!!!

·
Registered
GR86 MT Pavement
827 Posts
We got a new van first.

Does the car need to be family friendly? Is she really that paranoid about winter driving? I mean unless you're in the UP Michigan or great lakes NY area it'll be fine.

Not manual? Does she drive it often?

The happy wife, happy life thing only goes so far. Try and find out what the real issue is if the car doesn't need to do everything.

Internet advice given freely is as good as the money you paid for it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Get a used Dodge Charger Pursuit. V8, AWD, 4 doors. If you don’t want a police car you can find the same engine/drivetrain combo for MY13 and 14.

You’re not gonna find anything close to an 86 in terms of size/weight/fun and please the wife still, so I would just go full opposite direction.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts