Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Thought you might enjoy this video of Jason Cammisa (who is generally hilarious) presenting why the new BRZ (& so read the GR86) isn't turbo charged:

I for one am very glad purely for the better throttle response and rewarding top end but the reduced cost is also a major bonus.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
(Copied from 'Hello from England' thread)

Seeing as it looks like Toyota have fixed the torque issue, one thing I'd love for them to do to the GR86 is allow the driver to easily set the volume of the artificial engine noise within each driver mode. It's such a subjective thing, everyone has a strong opinion on it and it should be an easy software tweak to have adjustment for it, so I don't know why it doesn't feature in more cars.

The other thing I'd be delighted with is if they actually galvanised the shell and steel panels. Japanese cars are notorious for rusting out on the UK's salty roads which undermines their superb reliability and residuals. I know it's how they help keep the manufacturing costs down but it puts me off buying one considering I'd want to keep it as long as I can. That's why I also have never gone for an MX5 as they have next to no corrosion protection at all. My MR2 only goes out on dry days so it's not as much of an issue but a GR86 would be my one and only year round car.

·
Super Moderator
445 Posts

Seeing as it looks like Toyota have fixed the torque issue, one thing I'd love for them to do to the GR86 is allow the driver to easily set the volume of the artificial engine noise within each driver mode. It's such a subjective thing, everyone has a strong opinion on it and it should be an easy software tweak to have adjustment for it, so I don't know why it doesn't feature in more cars.

The other thing I'd be delighted with is if they actually galvanised the shell and steel panels. Japanese cars are notorious for rusting out on the UK's salty roads which undermines their superb reliability and residuals. I know it's how they help keep the manufacturing costs down but it puts me off buying one considering I'd want to keep it as long as I can. That's why I also have never gone for an MX5 as they have next to no corrosion protection at all. My MR2 only goes out on dry days so it's not as much of an issue but a GR86 would be my one and only year round car.
I thought the biggest problem was salt from snow?

We have it so lucky in Australia in that regard - rust is not something you worry about until its 10 years old.

·
Registered
694 Posts

Don't undercoatings and regular thorough washes prevent that?
What are the options like around you for corrosion protection aside from what the dealer sells?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't undercoatings and regular thorough washes prevent that?
What are the options like around you for corrosion protection aside from what the dealer sells?
Undercoating is a tricky one as sometimes it can make things worse if moisture is able to get between the undercoat and body due to a stone chip pierce etc. Washing the car doesn't really help the underside much either.

I do treat the underside with ACF-50 but it only slows the inevitable which is why galvanising really helps. It also does with stone chips on the exterior body panels. Our SEAT Ibiza doesn't really get any rust on stone chips but my Suzuki Swift Sport did immediately.

·
Super Moderator
445 Posts
I like the video very much. The only thing i dont get is why he doesnt like the new interior. I like the interior a lot.
New car interior game is pretty high these days, even in cheap cars. But the plastics and such are not out of the ordinary.

I do like it myself, I think the add shaped jut on the passenger side interesting, kind of like the jut outs on the side vents of the BRZ front bumper treatment.

One thing I'm not thrilled about is the head unit. I'd prefer toyota cheap part bin there, as they also have physical buttons BUT have a nice piano black and silver treatment on the much thiner and stylish buttons- which I think would like nicer in the center of this car.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Undercoating is a tricky one as sometimes it can make things worse if moisture is able to get between the undercoat and body due to a stone chip pierce etc. Washing the car doesn't really help the underside much either.

I do treat the underside with ACF-50 but it only slows the inevitable which is why galvanising really helps. It also does with stone chips on the exterior body panels. Our SEAT Ibiza doesn't really get any rust on stone chips but my Suzuki Swift Sport did immediately.
Would you get PPF applied to the GR86 to protect it from stone chips? It seems to be about the best option out there.

·
Super Moderator
445 Posts
Would you get PPF applied to the GR86 to protect it from stone chips? It seems to be about the best option out there.
Ceramic applications does protect your paint from stone chips and scratches purely on its hardness.

Its not self healing like PPF though, which isn't as hard but is extremely think (comparatively).

Some have said that you can get both installed so long as the PPF and Ceramic coating you use are compatible (the ceramic coating needs to bond at the molecular level).

As for my own experiences, PPF wasn't really an option 10 years ago on my 86, and so I just got a 9H Ceramic paint.

It was extremely effective at protecting my cars paint, in 10 years I had 2 stone chips effect the bonnet paintwork, no scratches.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.