Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I‘m hoping to order a GR86 6AT as soon as the order books open in the U.K. I’ve seen a few posts regarding owners not being happy with the 6AT so I’m interested to hear from other owners.

I‘ve driven automatics for over 30 years , mainly VAG DSG (which are lighting quick shifting) but also Mercedes MCT which is slower to shift but still quicker than I could manage in a 6MT. I find changing gear “manually“ with an auto just as ”engaging“ as a 6MT just without the missed shifts 😉

I test drove a late model GT86 6AT and didn’t find any issues with the transmission, more noticeable was the torque dip than any issues with the gear change/response.

I’m not planning on any track use, so very interested in how other owners find the 6AT to live with. I fully appreciate some folk prefer the 6MT so not looking to start a 6AT v 6MT discussion.

Andy

·
Registered
WR Blue Pearl 2022 BRZ Limited 6AT
66 Posts
I‘m hoping to order a GR86 6AT as soon as the order books open in the U.K. I’ve seen a few posts regarding owners not being happy with the 6AT so I’m interested to hear from other owners.

I‘ve driven automatics for over 30 years , mainly VAG DSG (which are lighting quick shifting) but also Mercedes MCT which is slower to shift but still quicker than I could manage in a 6MT. I find changing gear “manually“ with an auto just as ”engaging“ as a 6MT just without the missed shifts 😉

I test drove a late model GT86 6AT and didn’t find any issues with the transmission, more noticeable was the torque dip than any issues with the gear change/response.

I’m not planning on any track use, so very interested in how other owners find the 6AT to live with. I fully appreciate some folk prefer the 6MT so not looking to start a 6AT v 6MT discussion.

Andy
Hey Andy,

Wanted to repost my reply to your other thread here.

First of all, I don't want to discount the choice to buy a 6AT. EyeSight alone is worth it. Here are some of the concerns I have:

When in manual mode, downshifts are very snappy. The engine blips properly, and it finds the gear quickly. However, the car prevents you from downshifting to redline - out of the 7500RPM the engine can use, it normally only allows you to downshift to 6000RPM. This would be fine in a torque motor, but this is a power motor - to get the most out of this engine, we need to use as many high RPMs as possible. This isn't something you'd notice on a backroad, it's great to drive there - only when you're doing hard braking on a track will the car beep at you and tell you the downshift isn't available.

Regarding my comments about full auto mode - regular driving is fine, it shifts like a normal car. Will use the right gear based on throttle position. However, the Sport mode shifting is a little funky. Subaru/Toyota apparently wanted to walk the line between a full track shift pattern and a slightly sporty shift pattern, and in my opinion, did a mediocre job at both. When the car detects you're driving "aggressively", it will turn up the aggressiveness factor on the shifting. It will hold gears after you let off the throttle and it will downshift as high as it can go under hard braking (which by the way, sounds so cool when the car does it - it just slams off 4 -> 3 and 3 -> 2 right after each other, LIKE A TRACK CAR). However, this aggressive behavior only happens when the car thinks you're driving hard - which in my experience, means stabby throttle, jerky braking, crazy hard cornering (beyond canyon carving). If you start to drive smoothly, like you should if you intend to go quickly on a track, the car begins to modify these shift patterns into an economy-focused sport mode. In smooth driving, the car's sport mode normally holds one gear lower than regular mode and is a small bit faster to downshift. In my opinion, these two shifting modes should not be one setting.

In conclusion, what I'm looking for is:

1. A way to downshift all the way to redline
2. A way to force the automatic mapping into track mode without compromise.

Please let me know if this helps!

-Justin

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Andy,

Wanted to repost my reply to your other thread here.

First of all, I don't want to discount the choice to buy a 6AT. EyeSight alone is worth it. Here are some of the concerns I have:

When in manual mode, downshifts are very snappy. The engine blips properly, and it finds the gear quickly. However, the car prevents you from downshifting to redline - out of the 7500RPM the engine can use, it normally only allows you to downshift to 6000RPM. This would be fine in a torque motor, but this is a power motor - to get the most out of this engine, we need to use as many high RPMs as possible. This isn't something you'd notice on a backroad, it's great to drive there - only when you're doing hard braking on a track will the car beep at you and tell you the downshift isn't available.

Regarding my comments about full auto mode - regular driving is fine, it shifts like a normal car. Will use the right gear based on throttle position. However, the Sport mode shifting is a little funky. Subaru/Toyota apparently wanted to walk the line between a full track shift pattern and a slightly sporty shift pattern, and in my opinion, did a mediocre job at both. When the car detects you're driving "aggressively", it will turn up the aggressiveness factor on the shifting. It will hold gears after you let off the throttle and it will downshift as high as it can go under hard braking (which by the way, sounds so cool when the car does it - it just slams off 4 -> 3 and 3 -> 2 right after each other, LIKE A TRACK CAR). However, this aggressive behavior only happens when the car thinks you're driving hard - which in my experience, means stabby throttle, jerky braking, crazy hard cornering (beyond canyon carving). If you start to drive smoothly, like you should if you intend to go quickly on a track, the car begins to modify these shift patterns into an economy-focused sport mode. In smooth driving, the car's sport mode normally holds one gear lower than regular mode and is a small bit faster to downshift. In my opinion, these two shifting modes should not be one setting.

In conclusion, what I'm looking for is:

1. A way to downshift all the way to redline
2. A way to force the automatic mapping into track mode without compromise.

Please let me know if this helps!

-Justin

Hi Justin

Your response was very helpful, much appreciated. I don’t go on track and tend to drive in auto around town or in traffic and go into manual when I want to overtake or get a clear road. Whilst the 6AT is not as fast changing as a VAG DSG the GT86 I drove was more than acceptable on the road.

With what you have said I’m happy to stick with ordering a GR86 6AT without having driven one as an automatic transmission is my personal choice.

looking forward to hearing of any upgrades you get for your car 👍🙂

Andy

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi Justin

Your response was very helpful, much appreciated. I don’t go on track and tend to drive in auto around town or in traffic and go into manual when I want to overtake or get a clear road. Whilst the 6AT is not as fast changing as a VAG DSG the GT86 I drove was more than acceptable on the road.

With what you have said I’m happy to stick with ordering a GR86 6AT without having driven one as an automatic transmission is my personal choice.

Andy
I'm set on the auto trans as well (don't race or track and had a GT86 and loved it as a DD) and just now I got a call from Toyota that they just got a auto GR86 and it's being prepared right now. When it's all set, they're going to give me a call so I can come check it out and give it a test drive. I'm pretty excited lol

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Justin

Andy
The 6AT is such an optimal choice if this is your one car. I need to commute Portland -> Eugene twice a week, and the ability to get 33+ MPG (8.56l/100k) due to the higher gearing, the additional safety from the eyesight cameras, and the adaptive cruise make for a very comfortable and enjoyable commuter car. I'm happy with my choice, but that doesn't mean improvement isn't possible ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm set on the auto trans as well (don't race or track and had a GT86 and loved it as a DD) and just now I got a call from Toyota that they just got a auto GR86 and it's being prepared right now. When it's all set, they're going to give me a call so I can come check it out and give it a test drive. I'm pretty excited lol
Can't wait to hear how it goes. One test you need to do: Get it going quick in sport mode (auto shifting) and brake HARD. The gearbox should bang off downshifts automatically. You'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Can't wait to hear how it goes. One test you need to do: Get it going quick in sport mode (auto shifting) and brake HARD. The gearbox should bang off downshifts automatically. You'll see what I mean.
Hey, I read your comment before I left but sadly I had a sales guy (really cool dude) with me so I didn't try that but I have to say, I am in love with the auto GR86.

It looks way better in person and smaller (at least to me for some reason lol), the torque dip is gone, it picks up fast, and I kind of almost missed my exit so I had to do a hard right turn but it's the GR86 so it was pretty easy and nice. As a DD, this is everything I want in a car and I'm more in love with this car and I'm 100% getting it.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention, my dealership that I went to doesn't do any kind of mark ups so I might end up with a GR86 sooner than I expected if they get a car close to what I want.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
What Transmission we use is a personal choice, unfortunately there is a view among some vocal “enthusiasts“ that anything other than a manual is rubbish, and any comments regarding automatics are generally drowned out by all of the other noise.

Thanks for the very useful and informative comments so far, please keep them coming.

One area I feel could be improved on the GT86 6AT I drove was the gear shift paddles, very small and not particularly nice to use (pretty much same as VW Golf)

Are there any good quality aftermarket items folk would recommend?

·
Registered
146 Posts
What Transmission we use is a personal choice, unfortunately there is a view among some vocal “enthusiasts“ that anything other than a manual is rubbish, and any comments regarding automatics are generally drowned out by all of the other noise.

Thanks for the very useful and informative comments so far, please keep them coming.

One area I feel could be improved on the GT86 6AT I drove was the gear shift paddles, very small and not particularly nice to use (pretty much same as VW Golf)

I didn't try the paddles on my test drive but I do remember them looking kind of small.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm quite happy with my AT BRZ limited. I have had manual transmissions for the last 22 years and was worried that I would regret not having manual, but I've been pleasantly surprised so far. To me, the manual shift mode does a pretty good job of shifting when you want it to. I'm not a racer, so maybe on-track it might be a bit too slow to shift, but nothing I've noticed so far stands out as a red flag. I've not used the paddles, only the shift knob to shift, and I've never had another car with paddles, so I can't say whether they are good/bad.

·
Registered
396 Posts

Speed Industry created aftermarket paddles for the GR Supra. They have done a few things for the GR86. You could contact them and see if they have plans to do them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Speed Industry created aftermarket paddles for the GR Supra. They have done a few things for the GR86. You could contact them and see if they have plans to do them.
Thanks , will check them out 👍🙂

·
Registered
50 Posts
22 GR86 here, the auto is superb. Came from a 19 m240i and I'll tell you it amazes me what Subaru/Toyota have accomplished. This cars an easy corner carver and can definitely get loose in track mode. The way it sits to the ground and how light it is will have you smiling no doubt, I even enjoy the Audio engine noise until I upgrade the exhaust.
Sure the downshift lockout is wonky for now, but I'm sure there will be a Tune out to bypass it soon enough, the shifting is snappy and the paddles feel durable and metalic. You'll get good enough within a few days to know engine speed and when you can downshift, other than a real competition for money the Auto is Superb. When you do track days you'll be racing your self 90% of the time anyways, these cars were made for roadster enthusiasts and this little 4cyl hit the nail on the head and is a great touring car to add.
My wifes a nurse, 3rd day of owning it she drove it in and showed up a little earlier than her shift crew. Nurses literally thought a head doctor was in with it parked outside. That throughly impressed me.

I also had a 14 SS manual ls3, I'll tell you this 22 has made me extremely grateful and I love the interior to boot, can't beat it for the money.

Edit: Took a buddy out in it, he says "oh its just a new frs?" He has a few friends with 17-20 Brz's that have bolt on work done. I floored it sideways and then hooked a curve going 80+ and had it right on the line of losing traction which scared him looking for an oh shit handle, slowed 60, 30, 0 stop sign, came right from a stop sign sideways and hung another curve once up to 85-86 and it blew his mind. He believes they're hp underrated from factory and he came from a 16 STI and had no idea what a roadster could do 🤣🤣🤣.
I baby it, but just had to show him and it changed his whole concept he can't believe they're only 29k for base.

·
Registered
146 Posts
22 GR86 here, the auto is superb. Came from a 19 m240i and I'll tell you it amazes me what Subaru/Toyota have accomplished. This cars an easy corner carver and can definitely get loose in track mode. The way it sits to the ground and how light it is will have you smiling no doubt, I even enjoy the Audio engine noise until I upgrade the exhaust.
Sure the downshift lockout is wonky for now, but I'm sure there will be a Tune out to bypass it soon enough, the shifting is snappy and the paddles feel durable and metalic. You'll get good enough within a few days to know engine speed and when you can downshift, other than a real competition for money the Auto is Superb. When you do track days you'll be racing your self 90% of the time anyways, these cars were made for roadster enthusiasts and this little 4cyl hit the nail on the head and is a great touring car to add.
My wifes a nurse, 3rd day of owning it she drove it in and showed up a little earlier than her shift crew. Nurses literally thought a head doctor was in with it parked outside. That throughly impressed me.

I also had a 14 SS manual ls3, I'll tell you this 22 has made me extremely grateful and I love the interior to boot, can't beat it for the money.

Edit: Took a buddy out in it, he says "oh its just a new frs?" He has a few friends with 17-20 Brz's that have bolt on work done. I floored it sideways and then hooked a curve going 80+ and had it right on the line of losing traction which scared him looking for an oh shit handle, slowed 60, 30, 0 stop sign, came right from a stop sign sideways and hung another curve once up to 85-86 and it blew his mind. He believes they're hp underrated from factory and he came from a 16 STI and had no idea what a roadster could do 🤣🤣🤣.
I baby it, but just had to show him and it changed his whole concept he can't believe they're only 29k for base.
I wasn't really looking to get one anytime soon but after the test drive I took in the auto, I think I might want one sooner than later😅

·
Registered
50 Posts
I wasn't really looking to get one anytime soon but after the test drive I took in the auto, I think I might want one sooner than later😅
Man I'm very lucky to have this, 26 and on the moon 😂
When I took it on the test drive, I quit looking at other stuff and just wanted it. Something about that light weight thrill, I'm use to 3500+lb cars and this thing just felt thrilling compared. I can't wait to supercharge it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Man I'm very lucky to have this, 26 and on the moon 😂
When I took it on the test drive, I quit looking at other stuff and just wanted it. Something about that light weight thrill, I'm use to 3500+lb cars and this thing just felt thrilling compared. I can't wait to supercharge it.
Yeah, I would of bought the one I test drove but it was base and red, I'm looking for premium and Halo White (first choice) or Neptune Blue (second) which they had none so I'm waiting.

Also my dealership doesn't have mark ups but they are kind of forcing PPF on me which I honestly hate and if they continue to do so I will look somewhere else. I hear their PPF isn't too bad but some guy got it and it didn't even last 3 years and when it was still under warranty, Toyota was being a real bitch about fixing it and never did.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah, I would of bought the one I test drove but it was base and red, I'm looking for premium and Halo White (first choice) or Neptune Blue (second) which they had none so I'm waiting.

Also my dealership doesn't have mark ups but they are kind of forcing PPF on me which I honestly hate and if they continue to do so I will look somewhere else. I hear their PPF isn't too bad but some guy got it and it didn't even last 3 years and when it was still under warranty, Toyota was being a real bitch about fixing it and never did.
Hey it could be worse, seen a post earlier with a 40k dealer sticker.... LOL! They've lost their mindssss. (7k fair market value markup) like wtf? Lol.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hey it could be worse, seen a post earlier with a 40k dealer sticker.... LOL! They've lost their mindssss. (7k fair market value markup) like wtf? Lol.
Wow dude, so bad...so far all the dealerships near me have no dealer mark ups but 1 of them are forcing paint protection film on you which is the worst thing over here so I guess We have it good over here.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow dude, so bad...so far all the dealerships near me have no dealer mark ups but 1 of them are forcing paint protection film on you which is the worst thing over here so I guess We have it good over here.
Luckily I got msrp and a measily $250 floor Matt package was forced lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts