Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
441 - 460 of 622 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #441 ·
Hate to say it but I'm starting to believe all this. I have a current gen Forester and I know people who have ordered one and waited 5/6 months for delivery. The Forester would be at the very top of Subaru's priorities and I would imagine the BRZ would be at the bottom so I should not be surprised in learning the news here over the last couple of days. I will however be very pissed off at being lied to if this proves to be correct.
I would have thought that the BRZ would be up the top with it only being a fresh release and with a definite number of pre-orders to fill.
Perhaps USA orders are on hold because they will shift production from Japan to USA assuming they have tooled up for it by now?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would have thought that the BRZ would be up the top with it only being a fresh release and with a definite number of pre-orders to fill.
Perhaps USA orders are on hold because they will shift production from Japan to USA assuming they have tooled up for it by now?
I imagine the number of orders for a Forester / Outback would well and truly outstrip those for the BRZ. I'm sure they would cater to their bread and butter first.
Certainly hope US cars can be produced in the US, that will give the rest of us a far better chance. Has anyone thought of the possibility that they may have closed US orders so they could ramp up the numbers of the 86?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #443 ·
I imagine the number of orders for a Forester / Outback would well and truly outstrip those for the BRZ. I'm sure they would cater to their bread and butter first.
Certainly hope US cars can be produced in the US, that will give the rest of us a far better chance. Has anyone thought of the possibility that they may have closed US orders so they could ramp up the numbers of the 86?
I would think that any car they have a confirmed order for is bread and butter.
US has been getting GR86 since December, just rather random specs by the look. I certainly wouldn't be holding my breath to see a GR86 in Australia at all in 2022 the way it is going.
Manuals to me would be the ones more likely to be built as far less chips to have to get supply of with no "eyesight" technology. That would also tend to put BRZ ahead of a lot of other Subaru vehicles for the same reason. An advantage not having all the lazy driver tech in it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I placed my order on 9th Sep. Just got an email from SA this morning.
Said mine will be in production during next month February 2022 with a delivery of May/June.
It does not make any sense to me why it takes so long.
I would think that any car they have a confirmed order for is bread and butter.
US has been getting GR86 since December, just rather random specs by the look. I certainly wouldn't be holding my breath to see a GR86 in Australia at all in 2022 the way it is going.
Manuals to me would be the ones more likely to be built as far less chips to have to get supply of with no "eyesight" technology. That would also tend to put BRZ ahead of a lot of other Subaru vehicles for the same reason. An advantage not having all the lazy driver tech in it.
Not just a chip shortage, they would also be dealing with COVID restrictions, an aluminium shortage and no doubt other issues directly related. Subaru is a small operation when compared to the major Japanese car makers. I don't know if they have capacity to run seperate model production lines. My guess would be not, so would be restricted to compatible model runs. In the end I think it would come down to the numbers. Who knows what goes on over there, all we can see is the end result but I am quite certain they would be doing whatever possible to fulfill their orders.
The issue I have is the seeming disconnect between the factory and the end of the line..... Us.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #445 ·
Not just a chip shortage, they would also be dealing with COVID restrictions, an aluminium shortage and no doubt other issues directly related. Subaru is a small operation when compared to the major Japanese car makers. I don't know if they have capacity to run seperate model production lines. My guess would be not, so would be restricted to compatible model runs. In the end I think it would come down to the numbers. Who knows what goes on over there, all we can see is the end result but I am quite certain they would be doing whatever possible to fulfill their orders.
The issue I have is the seeming disconnect between the factory and the end of the line..... Us.
They have been running at reduced capacity due to Covid for the past 2 years, so that won't be anything new.
The video that was shared from Youtube shows their production line is essentially automated to allow a mix of anything they want. BRZ, Forester, WRX, GR86, left hand drive or Right hand drive, all on the same run mixed up. (Great video actually)
You are spot on that the communication has been atrocious.

·
Registered
129 Posts
They have been running at reduced capacity due to Covid for the past 2 years, so that won't be anything new.
The video that was shared from Youtube shows their production line is essentially automated to allow a mix of anything they want. BRZ, Forester, WRX, GR86, left hand drive or Right hand drive, all on the same run mixed up. (Great video actually)
You are spot on that the communication has been atrocious.
Yep, I see XV, Levorg and BRZ/86 on the same assembly line, I don't know that other Japanese car makers do that.Subaru have just two assembly lines in Japan. This is the factory I was going to tour. That is before COVID hit. Other plants there produce the actual parts , an engine plant, body and so on. Part of the tour takes you to the body stamping plant. For some reason the engine plant is off limits.Subaru only has one factory outside of Japan and that is in the US, which produce models, but not all, for their own market. In comparison to say Toyota ,Honda etc Subaru is small. I don't believe their operations are quite as automated as the others. Certainly all car makers would be well behind schedule due to the current circumstances in the world. Good video

·
Registered
11 Posts
I placed my order on 9th Sep. Just got an email from SA this morning.
Said mine will be in production during next month February 2022 with a delivery of May/June.
It does not make any sense to me why it takes so long.
When you get a chance, could you ask them why there is such a big gap between production and delivery? Thanks

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #449 ·
We currently have 14 votes on How and When did you order your BRZ (If pre Sep 2021...
Now that we have some info, can we reply to this message with more detail? I will add mine so you know what I mean and hopefully we can get some sort of pattern.
Dealer - September - Build January - Eta Mid February to Early March (Info from dealer)
Rectangle Font Circle Display device Electric blue

Dealer - September - Build January - Eta Mid February to Early March (Info from dealer)

·
Registered
11 Posts
We currently have 14 votes on How and When did you order your BRZ (If pre Sep 2021...
Now that we have some info, can we reply to this message with more detail? I will add mine so you know what I mean and hopefully we can get some sort of pattern.
View attachment 4018

Dealer - September - no information from dealer at all

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dealer - September (SA confirmation email 27/9) - No advised build date - Contract specified Feb / March 2022 delivery (but dealer has hinted BRZ and WRX are delayed since then)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #454 ·
I am compiling this info into a spreadsheet and will share the data once it is complete so we can all see. I would suggest that if your dealer hasn't given you any info, chase them up. Worst that happens is they don't know how to use a computer and just say they don't know.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I suspect these emails are only going to go to "online orders" because they don't have the dealer to harass?
I think that might be the case as well. I just saw a post of this email on Facebook from a fellow Aussie customer and the email came from the Buyonline administrator at SA.

·
Registered
97 Posts
For me…

Dealer - September - no build date - rang dealer mid December and was given verbal that should have car maybe end March….?
Salesman will speak to stock controller Monday and/or SA to see if can get more info.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For me…

Dealer - September - no build date - rang dealer mid December and was given verbal that should have car maybe end March….?
Salesman will speak to stock controller Monday and/or SA to see if can get more info.
Similar story to what I am hearing from my dealer, but still no concrete dates. Basically not much difference to "no update", as he's not sure about everything. Or he's not wanting to tell me about the extent of delay, worrying I would cancel the order...
Not the best experience tbh 😔

·
Registered
4 Posts
Took one for a test drive on Thursday... Had it for about 40 minutes solo which was nice, but couldn't get far into the hills and back in that time. Was the premium model (Coupe S, I think they're called) but Auto (ugh). Note, i've never driven the previous model, but I arrived there in a Fiesta ST (FiST) for comparison sake, and I had a lightly tuned MY17 STI prior to that.

Impressions:
  • Good looking car in the flesh. I've watched lots of videos/photos, and the front looks better in person from normal viewing angles.
  • Interior is pretty nice (for the price). Lots of alcantara-ish stuff, seats are nice (although not quite as hugging as the FiSTs Recaros).
  • Seating position is great. Probably no differnt from the last model, but compared to hot hatch (and WRX seating) you feel much more a part of the car.
  • Sound system is pretty shitty, but the headunit was responsive and clear to read. Hopefully a small amp + deent speakers would fix, but suspect sound deadening is a bit of an issue too (which can be added, but then adding kg's too).
  • Decent amount of road noise from tyres. I didn't travel at highway speeds, but I imagine its not a car for quiet conversations on a road trip. Again, sound deadening?
  • The gauges are a nice blend between novel and useful. Easy to read, plenty of info about the car's operating parameters on the screen. Slightly bugs me that 2/3rds is a proper colour screen and the other third is a LCD white/black gauge that looks close, but not quite the same. Tyre pressure monitor is cool and obviosuly triggers associations to racing sims.
  • Not as sharp/pointy feeling in the steering as the FiST. Still nice, but felt a bit more like dad's NC MX-5 than the FiST. (FWD/RWD aside). Gotta admit, I think I'm maybe just too attached to mechanical rack&pinion.
  • Because it was an auto, it was really tricky to get a sense of its power delivery. Of course it has the usual 'jump' off the line, common to most torque converter cars, and then it built speed quite nicely, but I always find it easier to get a feel for the car (quickly) by some rolling pulls in different gears. Torque converter sort of makes it a little less clear cut with slipping and lock-up.

I'm 90% of the way there - just a question of spending $s on new car vs $s on sensible things.

(I posted this on another Aussie forum, but thought may be of interest here)

·
Super Moderator
694 Posts
Took one for a test drive on Thursday... Had it for about 40 minutes solo which was nice, but couldn't get far into the hills and back in that time. Was the premium model (Coupe S, I think they're called) but Auto (ugh). Note, i've never driven the previous model, but I arrived there in a Fiesta ST (FiST) for comparison sake, and I had a lightly tuned MY17 STI prior to that.

Impressions:
  • Good looking car in the flesh. I've watched lots of videos/photos, and the front looks better in person from normal viewing angles.
  • Interior is pretty nice (for the price). Lots of alcantara-ish stuff, seats are nice (although not quite as hugging as the FiSTs Recaros).
  • Seating position is great. Probably no differnt from the last model, but compared to hot hatch (and WRX seating) you feel much more a part of the car.
  • Sound system is pretty shitty, but the headunit was responsive and clear to read. Hopefully a small amp + deent speakers would fix, but suspect sound deadening is a bit of an issue too (which can be added, but then adding kg's too).
  • Decent amount of road noise from tyres. I didn't travel at highway speeds, but I imagine its not a car for quiet conversations on a road trip. Again, sound deadening?
  • The gauges are a nice blend between novel and useful. Easy to read, plenty of info about the car's operating parameters on the screen. Slightly bugs me that 2/3rds is a proper colour screen and the other third is a LCD white/black gauge that looks close, but not quite the same. Tyre pressure monitor is cool and obviosuly triggers associations to racing sims.
  • Not as sharp/pointy feeling in the steering as the FiST. Still nice, but felt a bit more like dad's NC MX-5 than the FiST. (FWD/RWD aside). Gotta admit, I think I'm maybe just too attached to mechanical rack&pinion.
  • Because it was an auto, it was really tricky to get a sense of its power delivery. Of course it has the usual 'jump' off the line, common to most torque converter cars, and then it built speed quite nicely, but I always find it easier to get a feel for the car (quickly) by some rolling pulls in different gears. Torque converter sort of makes it a little less clear cut with slipping and lock-up.

I'm 90% of the way there - just a question of spending $s on new car vs $s on sensible things.

(I posted this on another Aussie forum, but thought may be of interest here)
Awesome stuff. Such a shame about the manual, what dealer? Not that I'm angling for a drive, but it would be nice to go in and see it.

Also, what model ST doesnt have a power assisted rack? The only car I know without either electric or hydraulic assisted steering was the lotus.

441 - 460 of 622 Posts