Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
2461 - 2475 of 2475 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello all,
I've done a little trip today (about 200km), and now I can hear this coming from the back of the vehicle (wearing and clicking), I had a quick look under the car on the side of the road but couldn't see anything. Also if I'm in 6th and put my foot to the floor and take it off there is a big jolt from the rear.

I have about 1300km on the car and haven't noticed this before now. Any ideas?

·
Registered
28 Posts
You need a manual licence. Unless they have changed it?
Depends on where you live, in SA you be fine.

Do I need a licence to drive a manual or automatic car?
A driver's licence issued in South Australia applies to both automatic and manual vehicles, irrelevant of what type of vehicle you passed your test in. You can legally drive either.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Depends on where you live, in SA you be fine.

Do I need a licence to drive a manual or automatic car?
A driver's licence issued in South Australia applies to both automatic and manual vehicles, irrelevant of what type of vehicle you passed your test in. You can legally drive either.
That's a bit frightening. Then again there's a lot about how we licence drivers that's frightening.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's a bit frightening. Then again there's a lot about how we licence drivers that's frightening.
I learnt manual on road by myself too, it's a weird feeling and quite anxious that you have to adjust all your judgements etc. But I reckon manual is safer than auto, you engage too soon you stall or you money shift it that's about it. I still scared to do parallel parking with a manual though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I learnt manual on road by myself too, it's a weird feeling and quite anxious that you have to adjust all your judgements etc. But I reckon manual is safer than auto, you engage too soon you stall or you money shift it that's about it. I still scared to do parallel parking with a manual though.
I'm about to go hugely off-topic here, be warned...

Unfortunately no it's not. All it takes is an overconfident learner to downshift mid-corner or not understand how to operate the car in an emergency braking situation (both stopping and avoidance) and you've got a lesson learnt the hard way and after it's too late to have done anything differently.

I'm going wildly off-topic, but the lack of decent driver training in general (not just here in Aus) before you get a licence is just woeful. Let alone the fact unlicensed or suspended license holders can purchase a multi-tonne vehicle with all the inertia that entails.

Now excuse me while I go sit on my front deck and yell and kids to get off my lawn. /end rant

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,468 ·
I think Australia does not have a 'manual' license?? I have a full driver's license which I believe legally allows me to drive a manual. I am an immigrant here so I could be wrong but I am pretty sure I can legally drive a manual here with my full driver's license.
NSW certainly has a manual license. Not sure about other states.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Rules change a bit, I grew up in Melbourne. P-platers either sat a manual or auto test. If you wanted to drive manual on p’s, you required to sit the manual test. But, once on full open license, you are free to choose manual even if you did not sit a manual driving test. I live in SA now, there’s no separation of manual or auto licenses at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Picked up the new car this morning. Very happy and I reckon it looks great (I'm biased). I got my son to come along and drive it home for me so I can't speak much yet to how it drives (getting my interlock device swapped over to the BRZ on Tuesday, then all good) - although I may or may not have taken it quickly around the block..Sorry for the spam below, little bit excited - lol.

I''ve gone with:

The STI style pack
STI knob
Quick shifter

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Car Land vehicle Cloud Vehicle Wheel

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Tire
Car Vehicle Steering part Gear shift Automotive design
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
22 Posts
Picked up the new car this morning. Very happy and I reckon it looks great (I'm biased). I got my son to come along and drive it home for me so I can't speak much yet to how it drives (getting my interlock device swapped over to the BRZ on Tuesday, then all good) - although I may or may not have taken it quickly around the block..Sorry for the spam below, little bit excited - lol.

I''ve gone with:

The STI style pack
STI knob
Quick shifter
Congrats on getting the new car mate.

Keen to read your thoughts on the short shifter once you get your interlock device swapped over, I've optioned it on mine as well.

Can see you had the diffuser accessory fitted too. Dunno why they sell it painted silver here whereas JDM get it in piano black so I'll likely get mine shipped over with some other goodies for the new ride once I know roughly when it's due. Reckon you'll paint it or keep it silver?

·
Registered
27 Posts

I''ve gone with:

The STI style pack
STI knob
Quick shifter

View attachment 14421 View attachment 14422
View attachment 14423 View attachment 14424 View attachment 14425 View attachment 14426
Thanks for the photo mate. You're getting me very excited for mine as I got specced exactly the same except for the short shifter.

How are you finding the STI gear knob? Mine is in transit from Japan at the moment.

2461 - 2475 of 2475 Posts