Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
2441 - 2460 of 2475 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I drove the new GR86 top of range Auto today; a few surprises 1/ No spare wheel but a good looking pump-up kit and flat boot same as the BRZ and 86 in the USA (or room for an after market Space Saver Spare) 2/ NO GPS in ANY of the models, you need to hook up your Google Maps on IPhone or Android, so there is no audio warning for fixed speed cameras and no handy speed limit sign on the screen. 3/ Both the Top of range Manual and Auto are a snip over $50K on the road 4/ A 7 year Engine and Trans Warranty 5/ Ride is slightly firmer picking up more road imperfections etc around town 5/ I personally thought that the grey on black interior trim was bland compared to the BRZ 6/ Sales staff had no idea whatsoever on delivery times. No other obvious differences except for handling (previously mentioned on various reviews) which with 250K on the clock I didn't test out; so very happy I committed to my BRZ.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,443 ·
I drove the new GR86 top of range Auto today; a few surprises 1/ No spare wheel but a good looking pump-up kit and flat boot same as the BRZ and 86 in the USA (or room for an after market Space Saver Spare) 2/ NO GPS in ANY of the models, you need to hook up your Google Maps on IPhone or Android, so there is no audio warning for fixed speed cameras and no handy speed limit sign on the screen. 3/ Both the Top of range Manual and Auto are a snip over $50K on the road 4/ A 7 year Engine and Trans Warranty 5/ Ride is slightly firmer picking up more road imperfections etc around town 5/ I personally thought that the grey on black interior trim was bland compared to the BRZ 6/ Sales staff had no idea whatsoever on delivery times. No other obvious differences except for handling (previously mentioned on various reviews) which with 250K on the clock I didn't test out; so very happy I committed to my BRZ.
The more I read about the GR86 in Australia, the happier I am that I got the BRZ

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a pre-order on GR86 that I placed earlier this year. After a week of official launch, my dealer still have no information on allocation and customer delivery. Much is the case with most dealer as I gather from other forum members

This week, I managed to test drive both GR86 and BRZ back to back. Sadly both were Auto box. Nevermind Apples to Apples.

Toyota has always been vocal about how they spend months on developing a different suspension tune in the GR86. However, to my surprise, it was the BRZ that blow my mind. Maybe the GR86 might be fun and tail happy when driving ten tens, but in real world, at legal speed limits on Aussie roads (city and 80k zones, that was part of my test drive route) I throughly loved the direct steering, pointy front end and beautiful compliance of the BRZ. Loved the chassis and steering tune on BRZ so much that I ordered one straight away. Small difference, but I did feel something different and better with BRZ

I am looking for a daily driver with occasional track events (if I could really manage a few), and I guess the BRZ with the 44.8k driveaway NSW price tag for Manual S version makes a ton of sense. Plus, it gets a spare wheel, Navigation and available in the beautiful WR Blue pearl.

The GR86 is priced higher at 50.2k driveway (no price discount on either brands) and I am struggling to justify if I should be spend more on Toyota. Capped Price service is cheaper on Toyota, that would save me 1300 over the period of 5 years. 2 years additional drivetrain warranty when Serviced with Toyota. GR86 has a aggressive front bumper design that I have been a massive fan from get go. But the front grill styling alone cannot justify the ~5K price difference.

Also Toyota is actually using steel components instead of aluminum on BRZ, and is simpler to manufacture, so ideally the GR86 should be priced lower than the BRZ (like in US markets)

What am I missing ?

P.S. also I have to be more patient with my order. As I have to let go front spot in the GR86 queue at my local dealership, to a March-23 delivery date provided by my Subaru Dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's great to hear. I ordered my BRZ without a test drive and still to this day have not yet seen one in the flesh. Roll on Saturday delivery - very excited.
Wow! Lucky you, your car is just around the corner. I am sure you will be surprised by the overall look and feel and the packaging. In a good way 🙂

I wish I had placed order for my BRZ much in advance than waiting for GR86 launch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a pre-order on GR86 that I placed earlier this year. After a week of official launch, my dealer still have no information on allocation and customer delivery. Much is the case with most dealer as I gather from other forum members

This week, I managed to test drive both GR86 and BRZ back to back. Sadly both were Auto box. Nevermind Apples to Apples.

Toyota has always been vocal about how they spend months on developing a different suspension tune in the GR86. However, to my surprise, it was the BRZ that blow my mind. Maybe the GR86 might be fun and tail happy when driving ten tens, but in real world, at legal speed limits on Aussie roads (city and 80k zones, that was part of my test drive route) I throughly loved the direct steering, pointy front end and beautiful compliance of the BRZ. Loved the chassis and steering tune on BRZ so much that I ordered one straight away. Small difference, but I did feel something different and better with BRZ

I am looking for a daily driver with occasional track events (if I could really manage a few), and I guess the BRZ with the 44.8k driveaway NSW price tag for Manual S version makes a ton of sense. Plus, it gets a spare wheel, Navigation and available in the beautiful WR Blue pearl.

The GR86 is priced higher at 50.2k driveway (no price discount on either brands) and I am struggling to justify if I should be spend more on Toyota. Capped Price service is cheaper on Toyota, that would save me 1300 over the period of 5 years. 2 years additional drivetrain warranty when Serviced with Toyota. GR86 has a aggressive front bumper design that I have been a massive fan from get go. But the front grill styling alone cannot justify the ~5K price difference.

Also Toyota is actually using steel components instead of aluminum on BRZ, and is simpler to manufacture, so ideally the GR86 should be priced lower than the BRZ (like in US markets)

What am I missing ?

P.S. also I have to be more patient with my order. As I have to let go front spot in the GR86 queue at my local dealership, to a March-23 delivery date provided by my Subaru Dealer.
This is a beautifully written piece of writing. I found myself sheding tears by the time i finished reading it. GO BRZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 86 duckbill spoiler. I'm looking to get a colour matched one for my BRZ. I've seen them in the US on YouTube, but not sure where to get a good quality one in Australia.
AU GR86 doesn't come with the full size duckbill spoiler on GTS model.
The brochure mentions ducktail spoiler but I guess that is what they are calling the integrated spoiler lip design. It's the same design as on BRZ.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have never driven a manual car and i ended up placing an order for a BRZ with a manual transmission. Anyone in the same boat?? Im very excited but worried and nervous at the same time. What if i cant drive my flashy sparkling brand new BRZ out of the dealershop? What if i am stuck in an uphill traffic on my way back home and roll back into a car behind me and get involved in a car accident 10 mins after picking up my brand new sparkling BRZ???? I am so nervous. What should i do??????

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have never driven a manual car and i ended up placing an order for a BRZ with a manual transmission. Anyone in the same boat?? Im very excited but worried and nervous at the same time. What if i cant drive my flashy sparkling brand new BRZ out of the dealershop? What if i am stuck in an uphill traffic on my way back home and roll back into a car behind me and get involved in a car accident 10 mins after picking up my brand new sparkling BRZ???? I am so nervous. What should i do??????
Maybe hire a manual for a weekend so get some time in?

·
Registered
14 Posts
My ETA is Q1 2023. How soon do you think i should start practicing?? I wish i could hire a manual car everyday but i need to think about my budget as well
You'll be fine.. just take your time and spend a bit of time in a quiet area to practice your take offs. I learned out in the country so there was no pressure.

I've got my manual BRZ arriving next week probably. I haven't driven a manual in 16 years, so expecting to be in a similar boat. It's not that bad driving manual.. and now these things have hill start assist it makes the painful things about driving a manual around a city even better. I heard the clutch is light too, so you probably picked one of the best cars to learn a manual with.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Maybe an obvious question… but do you have a manual licence?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,459 ·
These cars and the 1st gen have one of the easiest manual gearboxes to drive. They have a beautiful feel that just feels "right". The car is also geared low so it is actually not easy to stall the car.
I had been driving autos for the previous 4 years after selling my Gen 1 and within a few seconds of jumping in the Gen 2, it was like I had never stopped driving a manual.

2441 - 2460 of 2475 Posts