Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Pavement GR86 , 2019 Shelby GT350R
853 Posts
Actually it’s not bad. Since it is so high up, the visor goes down without issue. The angle of the visor leaves a perfect amount of room for it to fit. When the sun visor is "fully" down, the edge of it doesn't touch the windshield by maybe less than an 1/8th of an inch.

But I am curious, do the dots blur the image of the dash-cam in your set up? Thats part of the reason why I didn't put mine in the same area as yours. On mine, the lens is in the clear section.
I thought about that during installation and thought, “who cares? It’s not a vacation video.“. Honestly if it is noticeable on playback, that’s fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is for a MT Premium car. The fuse block might be different for a automatic. With the Rexin the switched wire which is the red wire goes to the second empty fuse slot below the 7.5 amp fuse that says stop. The constant power wire which is yellow on the Rexin goes in the center row in the first fuse slot right below the other 7.5amp fuse that says AMI. The ground wire under the 10mm head bolt that holds in the fuse block. Hope this helps.
View attachment 5802 View attachment 5803
Is this behind the driver's side or behind the glove box?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes there is one there too. Just installed my front and back dash cams this weekend. I had an easier time hiding wires in this car. Did everything in under an hour.
I have the factory 12 v outlet in the glovebox run to a triple tap outlet, one for GPS, and the other two for front and back dash cams. The rear setup will be an additional socket tucked beside the rear seat cushion. My rear cam is screwed to a tiny hole in the child restraint tether cover.

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Track Bred Premium MT
770 Posts
I had a Nextbase which got very good reviews on a number of websites. I had it professionally installed and hardwired. I just returned it because it was crap. It wouldn’t stay connected to the blue tooth in the car. I could never view a video in the app, and they don’t have an 800 number for customer service. I just ordered a Street Guardian. I will post once I have it and have used it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ended up installing my Rexing V1-4k today. Everything works well it turns on when the car is cranked up and turns off when the car is turned off. The park mode works as well. I moved the car a little after it shut down and it came back on.
The only issue is I can watch the footage on the tiny Rexing unit but I can not watch the video on my computer? I can here the audio but not see the video. I am guessing the computer driver doesn't support the higher resolution? I will try my newer computer at work and see what happens.
did you end up getting the package V1P-4K that includes the rear camera? I don’t know if I need the rear camera, but don’t want to regret it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is the GR86 rear view mirror powered? I'm imagining that the mirror with auto dimming is. In my Tacoma I'm using a 12 pin adaptor to connect a Garmin Dashcam Mini 2, which has worked fantastic for months. Link below.

My car is arriving soon and I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with this, or uses a similar setup. What I love about it is that I do not need to route wires, and it would free up the 12v in the glovebox for the GR86.

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR 86, Pavement Grey, Premium, MT
426 Posts
did you end up getting the package V1P-4K that includes the rear camera? I don’t know if I need the rear camera, but don’t want to regret it.
Yes I did. I would get it. They both are on and record when you are driving or when the car is bumped while parked and not running. I would definitely get both.

·
Registered
2022 Pavement GR86 , 2019 Shelby GT350R
853 Posts
Is the GR86 rear view mirror powered? I'm imagining that the mirror with auto dimming is. In my Tacoma I'm using a 12 pin adaptor to connect a Garmin Dashcam Mini 2, which has worked fantastic for months. Link below.

My car is arriving soon and I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with this, or uses a similar setup. What I love about it is that I do not need to route wires, and it would free up the 12v in the glovebox for the GR86.

GR86 mirror is NOT powered.

·
Registered
2022 GR86 6AT Base Steel
294 Posts
There is a harness in the roof for powered mirror accessory you could use. It is switched with ignition though, so keep that in mind. You could probably buy the adapter harness cable separately or splice. Check out my Toyota dimming mirror install in howto of this forum for diagram/location. I just added the logic diagram too, later in the thread.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes I did. I would get it. They both are on and record when you are driving or when the car is bumped while parked and not running. I would definitely get both.
Thanks. I got that one. I installed it with the hardwire kit but it seems my camera always stays on ( the screen is on) even when the car is off. Is it supposed to go into some sort of sleep mode with the screen off when you shut the car down?

I wired it exactly like you did. If the wires were backwards, I think it would not power on at all?

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR 86, Pavement Grey, Premium, MT
426 Posts
Yes it should turn off when you turn the key off. And on when you turn the key on. Sounds like your wiring is not quite the same.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts