Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to put a dash cam up, thinking the garmin 2 mini. Are people powering from the battery or just USB port?

Hardwire to the battery sounds like tearing apart the dash.

·
Registered
2022 Pavement GR86 , 2019 Shelby GT350R
963 Posts
Need to put a dash cam up, thinking the garmin 2 mini. Are people powering from the battery or just USB port?

I have a NIB Black Vue DR900X- 2CH Plus. I'll be powering mine directly from a switched fuse, and discretely running the wire up the A pillar (which side, who knows yet) and the camera will sit above my Uniden R7. The glovebox door is easily removed, and I believe the fuse panel is there. I really don't believe ANY disassembly of the dash will be necessary. I document my installation and share with the group, but my car arrives next month.....

·
Registered
2022 White BRZ
210 Posts
Just for everyone's knowledge sake: there is a 12v outlet behind the glove box. That is how I ran the cabling in the first gen (hid the cable between the roof lining going down to the right a pillar and into the glove box).

I cant find the confirmation, but I'm like 95% sure it (the outlet) is in the gen 2 as well.

edit: for anyone who wants to check their 2022, this is where the location is on the first gen

·
Registered
144 Posts
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Car Trunk

Digital camera Camera Camera lens Point-and-shoot camera Camera accessory

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Vehicle Font

Right now I have a the Rexing and Nextbase they are to the 12 V outlet but going to hard wire to activate parking mode. They both have rear cams. The Rexing I like because the rear cam is on the outside of car so I have a digital mirror without any obstruction of view.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Does hardwiring with a fuse drain your battery? It would be nice for parking mode but I also don't want to come back to a dead car if I have it sit over the weekend.
Many of these advanced dash cams use a separate battery for parking surveillance mode OR have a low battery setting which prevents killing your car battery

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR 86, Pavement Grey, Premium, MT
534 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Have you heard wired your yet? If so what fuse did you wire it too. Going to do mine this weekend.
At first I wired mine to STOP fuse to power my camera but then I realized my camera ends up staying on the whole time. I didn't want to kill my battery (even though the hardwire kit suppose to stop charging when it gets to 11.9v) So I had to switch it to radio which uses the same fuse to only turn on when accessories is on. Pretty much like like using the cigarette lighter.

·
Registered
963 Posts
At first I wired mine to STOP fuse to power my camera but then I realized my camera ends up staying on the whole time. I didn't want to kill my battery (even though the hardwire kit suppose to stop charging when it gets to 11.9v) So I had to switch it to radio which uses the same fuse to only turn on when accessories is on. Pretty much like like using the cigarette lighter.
I’ll look at this tomorrow, because I have to power a Radar Detector, a Dashcam, and a Laser Jammer.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I ended up installing my Rexing V1-4k today. Everything works well it turns on when the car is cranked up and turns off when the car is turned off. The park mode works as well. I moved the car a little after it shut down and it came back on.
The only issue is I can watch the footage on the tiny Rexing unit but I can not watch the video on my computer? I can here the audio but not see the video. I am guessing the computer driver doesn't support the higher resolution? I will try my newer computer at work and see what happens.

·
Registered
Raven Black GR86 Premium 6MT
214 Posts
If your dash cam requires constant 12v in addition to switched 12v, you can grab everything at the OBD2. Use a military splice (guides can be found online for proper splice technique), please don’t use t-taps.

Counting pins from right to left
ground: pin 4, gray wire
switched 12v: pin 8, black wire (far left pin of the top row)
constant 12v: pin 16, red wire (far left pin of the bottom row)

There’s not a whole ton of slack on the connector, but I was able to get enough room to work by removing the left side underdash piece (1 philips screw holding it in) and pulling it out to the left side.
Hand Automotive tire Gesture Finger Automotive lighting

·
Registered
534 Posts
Please share!
This is for a MT Premium car. The fuse block might be different for a automatic. With the Rexin the switched wire which is the red wire goes to the second empty fuse slot below the 7.5 amp fuse that says stop. The constant power wire which is yellow on the Rexin goes in the center row in the first fuse slot right below the other 7.5amp fuse that says AMI. The ground wire under the 10mm head bolt that holds in the fuse block. Hope this helps.
Paint Gas Circuit component Electrical wiring Machine
Liquid Fluid Finger Material property Font

·
Registered
963 Posts
This is for a MT Premium car. The fuse block might be different for a automatic. With the Rexin the switched wire which is the red wire goes to the second empty fuse slot below the 7.5 amp fuse that says stop. The constant power wire which is yellow on the Rexin goes in the center row in the first fuse slot right below the other 7.5amp fuse that says AMI. The ground wire under the 10mm head bolt that holds in the fuse block. Hope this helps.
View attachment 5802 View attachment 5803
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts