Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Anyone else wondering why Toyota has not said anything about the new GR86? And does anyone think the design will be different (beyond a different front grill)?
Welcome @86fanatics! I've been wondering that myself. I thought when Subaru announced the BRZ that was Toyota being nice and letting them go first but now I'm confused with what the plan is. As far as design goes I don't think there will be a huge difference between the two cars just like the 1st gen.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm sure they will be almost identical, but odd that Toyota has yet to say anything about it.

It's supposed to arrive Summer 2021. I don't know if that means debut or on-sale...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I agree with apex I think we will be seeing info on the Toyota side coming Q1 2021, I would hedge my bets for the end of January beginning of February. I could especially see Toyota having some Superbowl add that shows off the GR86 just like they did with the Supra prior to release. Will be interesting to see though what the differences in bodies will be.

·
Registered
79 Posts
WilloBaggins-Have you looked at the other thread on the forum here. "Odd test mule spotted in Japan". I think it could be possibly the new 86 minus the front and side sill extensions. I've laid out my reasoning why it could be the 86. Let me know what you think. Its a mule but its seems to be a more finished mule. The sill extensions would seem to indicate a more hotted up TRD version of the 86. However the design cues seem logical and reflect what we have been speculating as to how Toyota would differentiate the 86 from the BRZ. It just seems that this mule in the other thread reflects a logical design difference.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I agree with apex I think we will be seeing info on the Toyota side coming Q1 2021, I would hedge my bets for the end of January beginning of February. I could especially see Toyota having some Superbowl add that shows off the GR86 just like they did with the Supra prior to release. Will be interesting to see though what the differences in bodies will be.
WilloBaggins-Have you looked at the other thread on the forum here. "Odd test mule spotted in Japan". I think it could be possibly the new 86 minus the front and side sill extensions. I've laid out my reasoning why it could be the 86. Let me know what you think. Its a mule but its seems to be a more finished mule. The sill extensions would seem to indicate a more hotted up TRD version of the 86. However the design cues seem logical and reflect what we have been speculating as to how Toyota would differentiate the 86 from the BRZ. It just seems that this mule in the other thread reflects a logical design difference.
Safe to say Toyota is well into the final stages. Subaru sure is.
Its possible that the media also knows something but can't reveal the details yet due to an embargo.

·
Registered
79 Posts
As I said previously having seen more photos of this "mule" I am retracting my original opinion by stating
that I do not think this is the new Toyota 86. Rather this appears to me to be a body kit for the current 86.

·
Registered
188 Posts
As I said previously having seen more photos of this "mule" I am retracting my original opinion by stating
that I do not think this is the new Toyota 86. Rather this appears to me to be a body kit for the current 86.
The entire driver and passenger window outline gave it away. Definitely a current model.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts