Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
278 Posts
Factory specs are 5x100 with + 48 offset. For aftermarket wheels you need to know what width wheel you want, what tire size you plan to run and on what suspension to decide what offset will work for you. Fron what I have seen the 22 is not as forgiving with fitment as the older cars. Fender shape and such has changed the clearances slightly. If I had to offer an opinion.....
If you are unsure on an offset go a little towards the higher side rather than lower. If you go too low the wheels will poke out, look silly and possibly not fot or need trimming. If you go a little too high or add fatter tires down the road you can always add spacers to buy more clearance.

·
Registered
278 Posts
ive ordered 18x9 5x100 and offset 40 with 235/40 r18
That should clear the suspension and fenders fine. The tire is 0.6" taller than OEM which will add a little ride height. Im curious to see if you feel any loss in low end power. I made a similar tire swap to my speed 3 several years ago. The taller tires had an effect similar to lowering the gear ratio. It was noticeably slower off the line, but that actually helped that car. It has serious traction issues being FWD with lots of mods.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wish the stock tires were taller so I could size down and get a mild gear down...instead I might size up and grab the 4.3 rear from the refreshed first gen. I want more sidewall not because of looks but due to northern roads. 235/40 17 on 17x8s seem like a good option as well

·
Registered
110 Posts
I wish the stock tires were taller so I could size down and get a mild gear down...instead I might size up and grab the 4.3 rear from the refreshed first gen. I want more sidewall not because of looks but due to northern roads. 235/40 17 on 17x8s seem like a good option as well
Assuming you mean sizing down from 18s, why not go 17x7.5 215/45 or 17x8 225/45?

That’ll give you slightly better gearing and more tire between you and the road.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I believe by "size up\down" he is referring to the overall tire height. Taller tires effectively make your gear ratio taller which creates less punch off the line but lowers cruising RPM. Shorter tires increase acceleration but move your gearing to an effectively higher ratio raising cruising RPM.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Assuming you mean sizing down from 18s, why not go 17x7.5 215/45 or 17x8 225/45?

That’ll give you slightly better gearing and more tire between you and the road.
225/45 17 is slightly taller than either stock tire choice. That's the what I went with on my 13brz. But I'd like to stay away from making my gearing taller. Yes it'll be a daily but work is 12 miles away. And road trips will be rare without the family which requires a much larger vehicle.

225 is plenty wide, but no real way to get sidewall and not gear the car up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
225/45 17 is slightly taller than either stock tire choice. That's the what I went with on my 13brz. But I'd like to stay away from making my gearing taller. Yes it'll be a daily but work is 12 miles away. And road trips will be rare without the family which requires a much larger vehicle.

Honestly, I’d say stick with 17s and 215/45s. You won’t get lower gearing but you’ll have plenty of sidewall, even for bad roads.

235/40 on 17s is a weird fit in my opinion, and while you’re getting a wider tire, you’re also lowering your ride height which is going to give you a more direct feel of bad roads, unless I’m mistaken.

Also, I’ve heard people mention the lower final drive ratio actually helps the new gen as first gear already feels short enough as it is. I don’t think the gearing will be a problem at all this time around. But. Keep us updated. I’m interested to see what you end up going with.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

so ideally it 17x8 with 225/40 would be perfect for DD and stock power?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts