Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2023, GR86, Neptune Blue, 6MT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I'm not familiar with wheels but have been reading on forums and sites about recommended wheel sizes.

Without any suspension work at the moment, I'm looking at these wheels.

Stage Wheels Belmont 18x8.5 +35
Aodhan AH07 18x8.5 +35
AVID1 AV6 18x8.5 +35

I wanted to do 9.5 but it looks like I would need suspension work in replacing parts that I haven't yet.

I also was looking at wheels such as

JNC JNC026 17x9 +30
JNC JNC006 17x9 +30
Enkei RPF1 17x9 +35

But I don't know if my math is right in these fitting.

· Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
3,175 Posts
+35 and lower is going to make the wheels poke. Some like that look. That is up to you. I prefer something in the +40 range on these.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's your budget? Every wheel you just mentioned here besides the Enkei is borderline garbage lol
2-2.5k for wheels and tires. I was also looking at Cosmic Racing and Kansei. Those wheels looked like they have aggressive set ups that I would need to buy coilovers or more that I'm not doing at the moment. The only expensive wheel I looked at that I would even consider but is outside my range slightly is the Work Emotion T5R for 1800 for the 4. I saw Advan Wheels, the TC4, but out of my range of what I want to really spend. Also, I am doing a white finish. Just my preference with my Neptune Blue. Gotta be white wheels. White accents are what I'm going for on this vehicle. I would prefer 18, but don't mind a 17 either.

I'm looking to do Kumho tires Ecsta PS91s or something.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please avoid stage wheels, aodhan, Avid and JNC. Save a little bit more for a legit set of wheels or buy some 2nd hand instead of these reps.
I don't care if they are reps unless they are made horribly. I'm not familiar with these brands but saw some of them seemed like they were made alright? Question mark behind that because I'm not sure.

· Premium Member
167 Posts
2-2.5k for wheels and tires. I was also looking at Cosmic Racing and Kansei. Those wheels looked like they have aggressive set ups that I would need to buy coilovers or more that I'm not doing at the moment. The only expensive wheel I looked at that I would even consider but is outside my range slightly is the Work Emotion T5R for 1800 for the 4. I saw Advan Wheels, the TC4, but out of my range of what I want to really spend. Also, I am doing a white finish. Just my preference with my Neptune Blue. Gotta be white wheels. White accents are what I'm going for on this vehicle. I would prefer 18, but don't mind a 17 either.

I'm looking to do Kumho tires Ecsta PS91s or something.
Anything work, rays, advan, expect a 6-8 month lead time on your order, just a FYI. As far as brands, Avid and JNC are literally hot doo doo and I wouldn't even run them on my beater. Enkeis are fine, Aodhan is mediocre for the price.

$2,500 for just wheels and tires is pretty rough if you want quality. My recommendation in that price bracket would be this.

SSR GTX01 17x9 +38, Emnotek has these on sale right now $330.38 per wheel which is a FANTASTIC deal given SSR are authentic, lightweight Japanese wheels with strong heritage. They play in a very similar ballpark to rays, advan, work, etc.

And for tires, instead of running those Kumhos I'd recommend Advan Apex V601 (what i have on my TE37s) in the spec of 245/40 which Walmart has for $173.97 per tire. These are 280TW, those Kumhos are 260TW. The Advans also run a little bit "slimmer" and I've been running their 255/35 on my 18x9's with no cutting in the rear (im on coilovers, these tires are fucking fantastic.)

SSR GTX01: $1,321.52
Yokohama Advan Apex V601: $695.88
Total before tax: $2.017.40

IMO, I have confidence in saying that's probably the nicest combination you can have while staying under $2,500 while you mount and balance the wheels and tires. You're not cutting yourself short on a shitty tire nice wheel, or a shitty wheel nice tire. Both of those are extremely good products. In similar specs btw, Emnotek also carries Rays Gramlights. But you're looking at like $400 a wheel there, so it would push you out of your price range. Those are very good quality as well though.

Link to a GR86 running this exact combo of wheel and tire size

· Registered
3,324 Posts
What are the dimensions of quality between good- and poor-quality wheels?

· Premium Member
167 Posts
What are the dimensions of quality between good- and poor-quality wheels?
Wheels on the lower end have always been known to have extremely questionable build quality and are prone to cracks and bends. All of this comes down mainly to how the wheels themselves are manufactured, which to provide a set of wheels for $700 to you as a customer there's going to be very obvious build quality differences when you compare them to a reputable brand. Funny enough, a good read from a guy running JNC's on his FRS.

Brands like XXR and JNC have a hilariously bad rep to the point where running their wheels is a meme. Brands like Aodhan imo aren't the worse thing you could be driving on, but they're heavy and overpriced.

Never cheap out on things between you and the floor. That can be applied to the bed you sleep on, the tires your car is on, the coilovers your car is on. You always get what you pay for. And this isn't to say that there are not very good priced alternatives to spending $4,000 on a set of wheels. Those SSR's i linked him are $1,400 a set.

You just have to do your due diligence as a consumer because the market is more saturated with junk products than quality, especially when it comes to something most view as cosmetic and just want the cheapest shit to put on their car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts