Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
To me the current Supra looks more like the Toyota 2000 then the upcoming GT86/BRZ. Looking at the silhouette on both I did not realize how long the hood of the 2000 was. Seating looks like it is almost on the rear axle. The new Supra has a similar greenhouse to the 2000. The BRZ/86 looks very different to me than the 2000 or Supra.
I just wonder what would the whole Toyota sports car scene look like now if Nissan did not decline Yamaha’s proposal with the 2000GT project back then...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Its an interesting thought. I think had Nissan gone with Yamaha they would have been further along then Toyota. As it stands Nissan went pretty aggressive in the 70's and 80's on the affordable sports car scene at least in the US with the Z car. Until Toyota came out with the Supra they were a little behind the eight ball. Also remember Nissan prior to the Z had the Datsun 510 and the Datsun 1600 and 2000 roadster that sold in America. Also Mazda had the RX7. Misubishi had the Starion which is still a cool looking car today. Later the Mitsubishi 3000. The 2000 GT of course was a limited production car. Now of course Toyota did come out with the RWD 86 Coupe and the performance Hatchback with the same 16 valve engine. Of course I'm only emphasizing the stuff that came over to our shores. There was a lot more exciting stuff coming out of Japan that did not make it to our shores. But it's a shame we no longer have some of these great RWD sportscars anymore. I loved the original RX7, the Mitsubishi Starion, the original Z. I loved the mid 80's an early 90's Supra, the AWD drive Eclipse. The original MR2 was fun. I loved the simplicity of it. The current 86 embodies most of the personality of these older Japanese affordable sportscars. The one area that it was and is still lacking is clearly the engine. I am hoping that the newer engine addresses some of these deficiencies. And I think more than the extra power and torque is the general overall character of the engine. If its a turbo then minimal turbo lag and available power up to or near red line. A nice exhaust that competes with Hyundai Veloster(Civic R is too quiet) . If its an N/A engine then a Zingy engine feel that is smoother. No torque dip. Nice intake and exhaust noise. I'm certain that both Subaru and Toyota are well aware of the complaints about the current engine. The question is what they can afford to improve if they are building the car to a specific price point.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Its an interesting thought. I think had Nissan gone with Yamaha they would have been further along then Toyota. As it stands Nissan went pretty aggressive in the 70's and 80's on the affordable sports car scene at least in the US with the Z car. Until Toyota came out with the Supra they were a little behind the eight ball. Also remember Nissan prior to the Z had the Datsun 510 and the Datsun 1600 and 2000 roadster that sold in America. Also Mazda had the RX7. Misubishi had the Starion which is still a cool looking car today. Later the Mitsubishi 3000. The 2000 GT of course was a limited production car. Now of course Toyota did come out with the RWD 86 Coupe and the performance Hatchback with the same 16 valve engine. Of course I'm only emphasizing the stuff that came over to our shores. There was a lot more exciting stuff coming out of Japan that did not make it to our shores. But it's a shame we no longer have some of these great RWD sportscars anymore. I loved the original RX7, the Mitsubishi Starion, the original Z. I loved the mid 80's an early 90's Supra, the AWD drive Eclipse. The original MR2 was fun. I loved the simplicity of it. The current 86 embodies most of the personality of these older Japanese affordable sportscars. The one area that it was and is still lacking is clearly the engine. I am hoping that the newer engine addresses some of these deficiencies. And I think more than the extra power and torque is the general overall character of the engine. If its a turbo then minimal turbo lag and available power up to or near red line. A nice exhaust that competes with Hyundai Veloster(Civic R is too quiet) . If its an N/A engine then a Zingy engine feel that is smoother. No torque dip. Nice intake and exhaust noise. I'm certain that both Subaru and Toyota are well aware of the complaints about the current engine. The question is what they can afford to improve if they are building the car to a specific price point.
The GR Yaris was a great example of what Toyota is capable of producing these days.

Too bad the MKV Supra wasn't executed nearly as well.

FORTUNATELY, Toyota and Lexus are getting serious about bringing fun cars back again. In a few years time - when more sporty models come out - we should get a better sense of how they execute. The GR86 will be critical to that.

Other Japanese automakers seem to be joining as well. Nissan really came out swinging with the Z!

·
Registered
136 Posts
The GR Yaris was a great example of what Toyota is capable of producing these days.

FORTUNATELY, Toyota and Lexus are getting serious about bringing fun cars back again. In a few years time - when more sporty models come out - we should get a better sense of how they execute. The GR86 will be critical to that.

Other Japanese automakers seem to be joining as well. Nissan really came out swinging with the Z!
We're also seeing it with the Korean companies as well with Hyundai's N-Line. I'm not saying those vehicles are on the same level as the GR86, Supra, or Z, but still even they are pushing with more fun versions of their cars.

·
Registered
36 Posts
And now more money. For example the Hyundai N is going up in price by over 3 grand for 2021. That's for the manual transmission. The DCT adds $1,500 on top of that. So mid 30's now for a Hyundai Veloster N. Let's hope the 86/BRZ stays at least in the low 30 grand range.

·
Registered
130 Posts

I agree with what you said for the most part but I'm curious as to why you say the MKV wasn't executed well?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
We're also seeing it with the Korean companies as well with Hyundai's N-Line. I'm not saying those vehicles are on the same level as the GR86, Supra, or Z, but still even they are pushing with more fun versions of their cars.
We'll just have to get used to them recycling older platforms or borrowing it and other stuff from an outside source.
The new Lexus IS shares a lot with the outgoing model but is said to feel very different.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts