Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Photos of the 2022 Subaru BRZ (prototype) posted today already provide hints of what we could expect in production models. Specifically with the suspension, drivetrain, wheels and tires. Yes, its not much to go off of for now, but still a clear and early indication that Subaru and Toyota are serious about improving both models.

Starting with wheels & tires, these come directly from the GR Yaris as it seems. Tires are Michelin Pilot Sport 4's like the outgoing BRZ where its an option. Only difference is, on the hatch its 10mm wider at 225/40R18. Here, no one knows the size yet but these are indeed PS4's (see close-up image below)

Same size as the GR Yaris?

I sure hope so because it complements the wider rear track of the GR Yaris and helps to separate it from regular Yaris models, and might just be an upgrade for the 2022+ GR86/BRZ to improve handling. This prototype does appear wider out back and in the front, notice the fender vent?...

2022_Subaru_BRZ_Michelin_PIlot_4S_Tires.jpg

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 pictures from the Michelin site:

1597357159454.png

Underbody photos don't reveal much and so far it looks to be more of the same.
Should we expect changes to the multilink rear suspension setup? I don't know. Toyota/Subaru can easily get away with offering a setup similar to first-generation models with some tuning and some actual changes to feel different enough... it is an entry-level sports car after all.
2022_Subaru_BRZ_Suspension.jpg

First-Generation:

See the rest of the spy shots here:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Headlights are flush with the body now.

Side skirts are now a separate panel

Subaru Eyesight looks to be installed.

The fender bumps are elongated towards the front and back of the car, making them look more subtle.

Lexus F style fender exit vent. Note that both the bumper and fender vents are functional. It runs parallel with the front bumper intake when viewed from the side

The rear quarter windows now have a Hofmeister kink, good since BMW abandoned it I guess it’s fair game XD

Duckbill spoiler in the trunk lid with CMHSL.

Exhaust tips are the same but the muffler is new.

There are little fins under the rear bumper directly behind the wheels

Brakes look the same so no real power or weight change.

Doors are new, they meet the fender a little further forward, and the belt line looks to have been raised a bit.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope not just you I was thinking the same thing, I can also see a fair amount of Supra influence especially on the full side view of the car.
I wonder how much more 2000GT the GR86 will look because these shots show the BRZ.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Where’s the GR86 badge on the trunk? Can you point out? What about the current 86 badge, will they retain it or be modified?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Where’s the GR86 badge on the trunk? Can you point out? What about the current 86 badge, will they retain it or be modified?
1598453125417.png
Inked2022_Subaru__BRZ_Spy_Photo_GR86.org_09_LI.jpg

If you look closely at the picture I marked with red you can see a square badge on the lower RH side of trunk that looks alot like the GR badge thats on the supra(its also in the same exact spot), also there is a badge in the middle of the trunk but its hard to tell if its Toyota or Subaru, by the size I'd say its a Toyota badge.
Also evidence I think its the Toyota is the front bumper on this first picture, it looks alot like the side view of the Supra.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great! Now I see it. Feels like a Toyota badge for me also as Subaru badge is more elongated. Despite being twinned with the BRZ, I do hope that they will be more differentiated this time around, like the Toyota Supra / BMW Z4.
View attachment 245 View attachment 246
If you look closely at the picture I marked with red you can see a square badge on the lower RH side of trunk that looks alot like the GR badge thats on the supra(its also in the same exact spot), also there is a badge in the middle of the trunk but its hard to tell if its Toyota or Subaru, by the size I'd say its a Toyota badge.
Also evidence I think its the Toyota is the front bumper on this first picture, it looks alot like the side view of the Supra.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Great! Now I see it. Feels like a Toyota badge for me also as Subaru badge is more elongated. Despite being twinned with the BRZ, I do hope that they will be more differentiated this time around, like the Toyota Supra / BMW Z4.
That's my hope as well. Make the cars have their own distinct style and identity and maybe even tuned differently. I said in another discussion that I am hopeful that down the road we get a more powerful, different look STI version of the BRZ and a GRMN 86, obviously they would be more expensive but I'd say there's definitely people that would pay the money.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As great as it sounds, I do believe there is no way Toyota will allow the 86 to outmuscle the Supra 2.0. I think they’ll just offer sporty kits and some performance enhancements from TRD and GR or like the STi tS for the BRZ; but they probably won’t touch the powerplant.

I am hoping Toyota and Subaru to bring in some sort of hybrid/electrification into the 86/BRZ but that sounds like it’s not happening at the moment. But at least for now the good news for us enthusiasts is the manual transmission is going to live for another generation with the twins.
That's my hope as well. Make the cars have their own distinct style and identity and maybe even tuned differently. I said in another discussion that I am hopeful that down the road we get a more powerful, different look STI version of the BRZ and a GRMN 86, obviously they would be more expensive but I'd say there's definitely people that would pay the money.

·
Registered
136 Posts
As great as it sounds, I do believe there is no way Toyota will allow the 86 to outmuscle the Supra 2.0. I think they’ll just offer sporty kits and some performance enhancements from TRD and GR or like the STi tS for the BRZ; but they probably won’t touch the powerplant.

I am hoping Toyota and Subaru to bring in some sort of hybrid/electrification into the 86/BRZ but that sounds like it’s not happening at the moment. But at least for now the good news for us enthusiasts is the manual transmission is going to live for another generation with the twins.
Yeah like I said its more of just wishful thinking lol. But who knows we could possibly get a higher powered car that still slots under the supra but like i said I wont hold my breath for it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
To me the current Supra looks more like the Toyota 2000 then the upcoming GT86/BRZ. Looking at the silhouette on both I did not realize how long the hood of the 2000 was. Seating looks like it is almost on the rear axle. The new Supra has a similar greenhouse to the 2000. The BRZ/86 looks very different to me than the 2000 or Supra.

·
Registered
136 Posts
To me the current Supra looks more like the Toyota 2000 then the upcoming GT86/BRZ. Looking at the silhouette on both I did not realize how long the hood of the 2000 was. Seating looks like it is almost on the rear axle. The new Supra has a similar greenhouse to the 2000. The BRZ/86 looks very different to me than the 2000 or Supra.
I agree, although to me you can still see styling cues from the Supra and 2000GT on the new vehicles along with the last gen.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts