Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
I wonder why they use an active powered system for that. My ST had something similar, but it was a passive acoustic system that just piped intake growl toward the interior. That's disappointing, then, as it means there isn't a digital file that could be potentially accessed and changed.

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Sport-Tech 6MT, WR Blue
47 Posts
Had the dealer turn off Active Sound Control yesterday. So much better. Yes, it is super quiet in the cabin, but I'll take it. I have an HKS exhaust on order, coming in the new year.

I found myself (at highway speeds or high revs) having the radio volume compete against the engine speaker. They are both terrible, so one had to go :p

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wonder why they use an active powered system for that. My ST had something similar, but it was a passive acoustic system that just piped intake growl toward the interior. That's disappointing, then, as it means there isn't a digital file that could be potentially accessed and changed.
The first gen had a passive setup; it had a sound tube that would pump sound into the cabin. Most people would end up doing a sound tube delete though and I imagine they took note of that and made this implementation instead. Either way, this will likely end up being removed by a lot of people but at least the sound is genuine, albeit artificially enhanced. It might end up being easier to remove this time as well.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
1,179 Posts
The active part is because its similar to how noise cancelling headphones work - it removes certain frequencies, and amplifies others. So it attempts to take out the shit noise and keep the good noise. So its not a sound 'generator' as it is a sound filter and amplifier.

But this isn't a bad thing. Its a good thing. A digital file would mean its purely generated, not based on the real in chassis engine. You get all the fine detail of how engine noises change between load and the dynamics in an analogue way. If you didnt have that real world base, it would be just like a computer game - simulated on limited input.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The active part is because its similar to how noise cancelling headphones work - it removes certain frequencies, and amplifies others. So it attempts to take out the shit noise and keep the good noise. So its not a sound 'generator' as it is a sound filter and amplifier.

But this isn't a bad thing. Its a good thing. A digital file would mean its purely generated, not based on the real in chassis engine. You get all the fine detail of how engine noises change between load and the dynamics in an analogue way. If you didnt have that real world base, it would be just like a computer game - simulated on limited input.
I hate video games, artificial steering weight, and driver aids. I don't even like automatic climate control and prefer a removable panel sunroof to a convenient power one, so the lack of an unrelated electronic sound isn't what I'm disappointed in. If they're going to have an artificial noise generator at all (which I understand with the sound regulations and expectations for NVH making real engine noise is out), the digital file (recording of much nicer sounding engine) would be directly correlated to the engine's speed and load just as it is with the system they have. That could be an algorithm that outputs a sound from the tach signal (meh) or using the microphone they're currently using for input with the output being the corresponding rpm load sound of something exotic. This would in effect be little different than a synthesizer or a mic that amplifies certain frequencies over others. Of course, maybe it would have to be Toyota/Subaru IP for legal or executive pride reasons, which really limits the options for exotic sounding engine selection to . . . I guess just the LFA, but that is an incredible sounding engine. They could even make it selectable—sound off, actual engine in the car as they are doing now, the LFA, and . . . hm, maybe the 2000GT?

·
Registered
501 Posts
So what this sounds like is that people are upset that the systems augments the actual sound of the engine. So then the engine sound is not fake. It is simply louder than it would normally be if it was not augmented. So I guess my question is this. If Subaru and Toyota used a lot more aggressive intake on the twins would you not be getting a similar sound. Therefore the sound generator is simply a cheaper solution to getting intake sound. If this is the case, then its the same as someone speaking in front of an audience but using a microphone. Without the microphone you would not hear them very well. But in fact the microphone does reflect the true sound of a persons voice. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,134 Posts
I have only seen one person claim there is a microphone involved and it amplifies real sound. Until I see it, I dont know if that is actually true.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Ok then. It would be important to find out. If this is artificially produced sound, both Toyota and Subaru would seem to have a lot of options out there. As Duchess said why make it sound like a 4 cylinder. If it is indeed a system that cancels frequencies so that you are actually hearing the true sound of the engine, then that's good enough for me. If this is the case (until someone proves otherwise), what people are really saying is that they do not like the true sound of the NA FA 24. So, by unplugging the system you're simply making the true engine intake noise very quiet. By adding on an HKS exhaust you are amplifying the true exhaust, so you don't have to hear the true intake noise. My Fiat 500 Abarth has a great exhaust noise. However, if you are not on it and just cruising you do hear a higher pitched intake whine that has been enhanced by a cold air intake. I had a 2006 Mini Cooper S that was supercharged. I added an intake which enhanced the supercharger whine. I did not like it, so I put on a Milteck exhaust. That made driving the car much more enjoyable. So, until someone clears this up it seems logical to me that this is amplified sound of the true engine noise.

·
Super Moderator
1,179 Posts
I have only seen one person claim there is a microphone involved and it amplifies real sound. Until I see it, I dont know if that is actually true.
They all do it differently - here is an article going back to 2012!

Note: I'll try find you how its been explained from the toyoburu side.

·
Super Moderator
1,179 Posts
I hate video games, artificial steering weight, and driver aids. I don't even like automatic climate control and prefer a removable panel sunroof to a convenient power one, so the lack of an unrelated electronic sound isn't what I'm disappointed in. If they're going to have an artificial noise generator at all (which I understand with the sound regulations and expectations for NVH making real engine noise is out), the digital file (recording of much nicer sounding engine) would be directly correlated to the engine's speed and load just as it is with the system they have. That could be an algorithm that outputs a sound from the tach signal (meh) or using the microphone they're currently using for input with the output being the corresponding rpm load sound of something exotic. This would in effect be little different than a synthesizer or a mic that amplifies certain frequencies over others. Of course, maybe it would have to be Toyota/Subaru IP for legal or executive pride reasons, which really limits the options for exotic sounding engine selection to . . . I guess just the LFA, but that is an incredible sounding engine. They could even make it selectable—sound off, actual engine in the car as they are doing now, the LFA, and . . . hm, maybe the 2000GT?
It will never make the sounds of those engines with this system.

It comes from the engine. The frequency(or frequencies) of the engine/intake will never suddenly become like another car, our engine is our engine - you cant fake 9000k revs or the speed at which an LFA will ramp up and down using this system. And I guess I shouldn't say if that's good or bad really, as I'm sure its a personal preference, as this isn't a performance metric.

·
Registered
501 Posts
So, what you are saying is that this is more of a sound amplification of the NA FA24 engine. Therefore, it is not "fake"
noise. Perhaps then if there was an aftermarket intake developed or an intake from the STI performance division you would be hearing somewhat similar noise if perhaps not quite as loud inside the cabin. However, as we all know this sound can either be unplugged or mitigated by a decent sounding exhaust like HKS. Personally, I find that most 4-cylinder engines sound OK if a bit lacking compared to an inline or V6. I guess I personally like the noise because it sounds significantly different from most 4 cylinders on the market. Further compared to version one this new one sounds more free revving where version one sounded strained. I don't dislike how a Miata sounds. However, in stock form it doesn't really sound all that special. For me, I want to hear both intake and exhaust noise. It appears the emphasis is primarily on intake noise. Obviously, Subaru and Toyota chose cost over having to develop a decent exhaust sound. However, if they did absolutely nothing the sound inside the cabin would have been much too quiet. That may be fine for an EV but not acceptable for an "ice" sportscar. I think they came up with a decent compromise. As they have said anything else is up to the aftermarket.

·
Registered
349 Posts
It will never make the sounds of those engines with this system.

It comes from the engine. The frequency(or frequencies) of the engine/intake will never suddenly become like another car, our engine is our engine - you cant fake 9000k revs or the speed at which an LFA will ramp up and down using this system. And I guess I shouldn't say if that's good or bad really, as I'm sure its a personal preference, as this isn't a performance metric.
Right, I understand that. I was thinking that if this was a digital sound file that was coming through a speaker—which it isn't—it could effectively sound like anything. Really, even a speaker's output could be put through a synthesizer or some other modifier to change the sound to something else. What, I don't know, I'm just thinking about the possibilities. I mention the LFA only because I can't think of any other great sounding engines that would be Toyota/Subaru IP. And if the whole thing was a sound file, they could make it through the whole 9k rev range by multiplying the actual RPM, which would also serve to make it sound like engine speed was accelerating at a greater rate. They could do a BRM type 15 revving to 11k similarly, but again, IP, and not many really know what that particular engine is (though they should!—1.5L V16, twin superchargers, 11k rpm that sounds like the growl of a dragon overlaid by the shrieks of valkyries . . . from 1950). But, none of this matters as it isn't a digital file and that's fine.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts