Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very likely going to be buying a GR86 on launch, but the only thing making it very likely and not definitive is the stock brakes. I track about 5 times or so a year and like to canyon drive, so I would like a nice set of brakes. Unfortunately just some pads wont cut it with the stock 2 piston front and 1 piston rear setup.

Reading around the forum, it sounds like AP Racing or CSG's Brembo GT kits are great options for someone looking for an upgrade in the current toyota 86 platform. But, those kits run $2000 and don't upgrade the rear calipers. The current performance pack for the BRZ runs $1200, and include wheels and dampers (which to be fair I would be replacing anyways, but still).

I haven't been able to find a post discussing brake bias alterations when only adding a BBK in the front, leaving the rear calipers stock. Perhaps I still have a lot to learn, but would that not alter the brake bias?

So I guess my questions come down to brake bias confusion and value considerations.

Thanks everyone

·
Super Moderator
451 Posts
I'm very likely going to be buying a GR86 on launch, but the only thing making it very likely and not definitive is the stock brakes. I track about 5 times or so a year and like to canyon drive, so I would like a nice set of brakes. Unfortunately just some pads wont cut it with the stock 2 piston front and 1 piston rear setup.

Reading around the forum, it sounds like AP Racing or CSG's Brembo GT kits are great options for someone looking for an upgrade in the current toyota 86 platform. But, those kits run $2000 and don't upgrade the rear calipers. The current performance pack for the BRZ runs $1200, and include wheels and dampers (which to be fair I would be replacing anyways, but still).

I haven't been able to find a post discussing brake bias alterations when only adding a BBK in the front, leaving the rear calipers stock. Perhaps I still have a lot to learn, but would that not alter the brake bias?

So I guess my questions come down to brake bias confusion and value considerations.

Thanks everyone
You could just do the brake pad and brake lines and you will be able to brake hard all day. If you want to increase breaking power further, like if you are wanting ultimate time attack then yeah the cheapest way into it is to wait for the performance pack, or find someone will to sell you them second hand from the first edition.

Remember you might be able to sell your own brakes to buy the new ones and potentially make it a bit easier on the wallet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I track about 10 times a year and have been doing so for awhile. This car is pretty light I doubt you'll need to upgrade to a BBK. I agree with comments above, unless you're doing time attack or something very serious/competitive..

Some SS brake lines with good brake fluid (motul, etc) and some aggressive pads like carbotech or somethings similar should be more than enough to get that quick bite and more firm pedal pressure.

Just these basic mods will be enough to do a 30 minute hot lap around most tracks with a car this light. If the car was 3500 lbs, i might have a different opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts