Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I ordered my 2010 WRX, I optioned it with the under-seat subwoofer and have always been really happy that I did. The stereo without it ('premium' model, back when premium was the top spec) was OK, but lacked depth and the regular speakers couldn't push much bass without sounding flappy.

Does anyone know if such a thing is possible in the 2022 BRZ, or is there not enough space under the seat? I don't want a trunk mounted sub taking up already limited cargo space, but it would be great to have a bit of extra bass on a discrete amplifier.

I'm 48 y/o and definitely don't need anything that will set off car alarms as I drive by, or anything, I just like full dynamic range when I listen to music.

·
Registered
262 Posts
When I ordered my 2010 WRX, I optioned it with the under-seat subwoofer and have always been really happy that I did. The stereo without it ('premium' model, back when premium was the top spec) was OK, but lacked depth and the regular speakers couldn't push much bass without sounding flappy.

Does anyone know if such a thing is possible in the 2022 BRZ, or is there not enough space under the seat? I don't want a trunk mounted sub taking up already limited cargo space, but it would be great to have a bit of extra bass on a discrete amplifier.

I'm 48 y/o and definitely don't need anything that will set off car alarms as I drive by, or anything, I just like full dynamic range when I listen to music.
You should be able to. Check out Crutchfield. They have a couple of compact subs. Prices are good.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Get a good set of aftermarket speaker upgrades with a proper amplifier to power them, and you won't need a subwoofer.
I got a fantastic set of Hertz DCX 165.3 6 1/2” 2-way speakers.They replaced my door speakers. I thought I was gonna add a sub until I heard them in my car. Didn’t need it. I added a Pioneer 4-channel, 40 watt amp. That went under the passenger seat. This went into my 2013 Prius. I highly recommend Hertz speakers. I also had a pair in my 2000 MR2 Spider.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry guys there's just no way 6.5 inch door speakers are going to get you anywhere close to the bass a sub delivers as they're just too small for the woofer to give you the lows. I tried to run this in my Rav 4 with a JBL 4 channel amp that delivers 55 watt rms x 4 coupled with 4 JBL 55-60 watt speakers. I ended up bridging two of the amps channel to drive a 10 inch 100 watt kicker sub along with amplified front speakers only. The rears were just fill anyway so it still sounds great.

For this car I am thinking a spare tyre sub setup, they're hidden and more cost effective than a custom enclosure for the trunk. But if you like an underseat sub this might be overkill for you..

Examples of the spare tyre sub

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sorry guys there's just no way 6.5 inch door speakers are going to get you anywhere close to the bass a sub delivers as they're just too small for the woofer to give you the lows. I tried to run this in my Rav 4 with a JBL 4 channel amp that delivers 55 watt rms x 4 coupled with 4 JBL 55-60 watt speakers. I ended up bridging two of the amps channel to drive a 10 inch 100 watt kicker sub along with amplified front speakers only. The rears were just fill anyway so it still sounds great.

For this car I am thinking a spare tyre sub setup, they're hidden and more cost effective than a custom enclosure for the trunk. But if you like an underseat sub this might be overkill for you..

Examples of the spare tyre sub
[/URL]
[/URL]
There is an option for a Kicker sub from Toyota. From the picture I saw, it goes against the side of the trunk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts