Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

What would you like to see on the GR86?Turbo, Supercharger or stay Naturally Aspirated?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this I think is the hottest topic of our little car here and Car Throttle wrote a pretty good article debating the two contested sides of the arguments.
The Case For And Against A 260bhp Turbo Toyota GT86
After reading this slightly older article from about three months ago I want to hear all your opinions on this.
For or against getting a turbo in the GR86.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Some people want a responsive and high-revving naturally-aspirated motor, yet others want more power. I think Toyota would see great success offering the NA motor as the base motor, and then add a turbo or TRD supercharger for those looking for more power at a higher price. If people will pay the money, Toyota should build it!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some people want a responsive and high-revving naturally-aspirated motor, yet others want more power. I think Toyota would see great success offering the NA motor as the base motor, and then add a turbo or TRD supercharger for those looking for more power at a higher price. If people will pay the money, Toyota should build it!
I couldnt agree more!!
I've said this before that they need to do what chevy did with cobalt.
They had the base, the sport or the SS. The SS came either turboed or Supercharged pending on what the user wanted. Why couldnt Toyota do the same? Like you said if people are willing to shuck out the money why not.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I couldnt agree more!!
I've said this before that they need to do what chevy did with cobalt.
They had the base, the sport or the SS. The SS came either turboed or Supercharged pending on what the user wanted. Why couldnt Toyota do the same? Like you said if people are willing to shuck out the money why not.
What's interesting is Lotus has done something similar with Toyota 4-cylinder engines in the Elise and Toyota 4-cylinder engines in the Evora. Offer one version naturally-aspirated and then add a supercharger and offer that version. All with Toyota hardware. It can be done. Surely the 86 sells enough units to justify the cost of adding FI as an option

·
Registered
133 Posts
What's interesting is Lotus has done something similar with Toyota 4-cylinder engines in the Elise and Toyota 4-cylinder engines in the Evora. Offer one version naturally-aspirated and then add a supercharger and offer that version. All with Toyota hardware. It can be done. Surely the 86 sells enough units to justify the cost of adding FI as an option
I wonder if they've been sharing notes with Lotus on how to improve the 4-cylinder.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You would think so but its laughable on the options toyota offers in their vehicles. I love the vehicles but come on give us a little more. Maybe with the supra 2.0 coming out toyota will start offering more options in some of the vehicles. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Even the Forester is getting a turbo now! Though it's only available in Japan.

The Subaru Forester buyers can now get the crossover with a 1.8-liter turbocharged four-cylinder boxer engine. Before you get too excited, the new offering is only available in Japan at the moment.

Internally, Subaru refers to the 1.8-liter mill as the CB18. The powerplant features dual overhead camshafts and direct injection In the Forester, it produces 174 horsepower (130 kilowatts) and 221 pound-feet (300 Newton-meters) of torque, which is the same output as in the new Levorg wagon.

The 1.8-liter powerplant is available in the Forest Sport. The model also uses a CVT gearbox and all-wheel drive. Subie tunes it with specific damper and coil spring settings. The outside has a black grille and 18-inch wheels with a dark metallic finish. Inside, there's a mix of ultra-suede and leather upholstery.

The Forester Sport retails for 3,289,000 yen ($31,400.22 at current exchange rates) after Japan's 10 percent consumption tax.

Motor1.com reached out to Subaru of America to find out if there's any chance the company would bring this turbocharged Forester to the US. Unfortunately, the automaker does not comment on future products.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If I was Toyota I'd offer a base NA version available in auto and manual, then a turbo version ONLY available in manual, so it doesnt really affect the 2.0 Supra's sales.
I think most people have generally already chosen their prefered transmission well before starting to shop around for a car What do you guys think?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I was Toyota I'd offer a base NA version available in auto and manual, then a turbo version ONLY available in manual, so it doesnt really affect the 2.0 Supra's sales.
I think most people have generally already chosen their prefered transmission well before starting to shop around for a car What do you guys think?
I've been hoping and saying they need to do this for years! Its exactly what Chevy did with the Cobalt, they had the base model, a sport model that had the better engine and manual, then they had the SS which pending on the year either came with a supercharged or turboed engine and only came in manual.
I think they could really make some damn good money with this strategy.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Am I the only NA fan. haha

I'd just love to see a bit more power. Nothing crazy. Like 240-250 would be ideal. From a great NA enigne.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Am I the only NA fan. haha

I'd just love to see a bit more power. Nothing crazy. Like 240-250 would be ideal. From a great NA enigne.
I agree, I like NA as long as there's a good torque band. 240hp sounds decent for this car !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts