Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

What would you like to see on the GR86?Turbo, Supercharger or stay Naturally Aspirated?

• Supercharger

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Naturally Aspirated

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this I think is the hottest topic of our little car here and Car Throttle wrote a pretty good article debating the two contested sides of the arguments.
The Case For And Against A 260bhp Turbo Toyota GT86
After reading this slightly older article from about three months ago I want to hear all your opinions on this.
For or against getting a turbo in the GR86.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Some people want a responsive and high-revving naturally-aspirated motor, yet others want more power. I think Toyota would see great success offering the NA motor as the base motor, and then add a turbo or TRD supercharger for those looking for more power at a higher price. If people will pay the money, Toyota should build it!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some people want a responsive and high-revving naturally-aspirated motor, yet others want more power. I think Toyota would see great success offering the NA motor as the base motor, and then add a turbo or TRD supercharger for those looking for more power at a higher price. If people will pay the money, Toyota should build it!
I couldnt agree more!!
I've said this before that they need to do what chevy did with cobalt.
They had the base, the sport or the SS. The SS came either turboed or Supercharged pending on what the user wanted. Why couldnt Toyota do the same? Like you said if people are willing to shuck out the money why not.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I couldnt agree more!!
I've said this before that they need to do what chevy did with cobalt.
They had the base, the sport or the SS. The SS came either turboed or Supercharged pending on what the user wanted. Why couldnt Toyota do the same? Like you said if people are willing to shuck out the money why not.
What's interesting is Lotus has done something similar with Toyota 4-cylinder engines in the Elise and Toyota 4-cylinder engines in the Evora. Offer one version naturally-aspirated and then add a supercharger and offer that version. All with Toyota hardware. It can be done. Surely the 86 sells enough units to justify the cost of adding FI as an option

·
Registered
71 Posts
What's interesting is Lotus has done something similar with Toyota 4-cylinder engines in the Elise and Toyota 4-cylinder engines in the Evora. Offer one version naturally-aspirated and then add a supercharger and offer that version. All with Toyota hardware. It can be done. Surely the 86 sells enough units to justify the cost of adding FI as an option
I wonder if they've been sharing notes with Lotus on how to improve the 4-cylinder.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You would think so but its laughable on the options toyota offers in their vehicles. I love the vehicles but come on give us a little more. Maybe with the supra 2.0 coming out toyota will start offering more options in some of the vehicles. Fingers crossed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts