Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR86 Premium Neptune Blue
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I just received news that my car will be arriving today at the dealer. I was hoping to have it shipped to me since it’s in Idaho and I’m in California. I’ve been looking at different car shipping companies but can’t seem to find one that is legit and not too expensive. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi everyone, I just received news that my car will be arriving today at the dealer. I was hoping to have it shipped to me since it’s in Idaho and I’m in California. I’ve been looking at different car shipping companies but can’t seem to find one that is legit and not too expensive. Any recommendations?
Good post, this should be interesting. I spend evenings mapping out a proper break in route from Ohio to Georgia on GR86 still in the NW QC quarantine, final dealer destination still far away. Thought of a shipper, am doubtful dealer will take any risk in the contracting, probably all falls on me. Good luck. Neptune blue, rare as can be! You are lucky.

·
Registered
2022 Halo White Toyota GR86 6MT
139 Posts
I had mine shipped from Texas to San Diego. I used "imoveauto". Had a great experience with them. I had been waiting three days to get a driver while using another company. I reached out to imove and they had a driver matched with me same day for about $100 cheaper.
Keep in mind that all these companies are just middle men essentially, so I think it might ultimately come down tothe driver, but again, mine was great and the booking process was simple as well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had mine shipped from Texas to San Diego. I used "imoveauto". Had a great experience with them. I had been waiting three days to get a driver while using another company. I reached out to imove and they had a driver matched with me same day for about $100 cheaper.
Keep in mind that all these companies are just middle men essentially, so I think it might ultimately come down tothe driver, but again, mine was great and the booking process was simple as well.
More details? Single flat bed, multi car carrier, delivered to home address? How did transfer take place to transporter, dealer assist? How were you protected, the over $30,000 vehicle? Internet transaction?

·
Registered
2022 Halo White Toyota GR86 6MT
139 Posts
More details? Single flat bed, multi car carrier, delivered to home address? How did transfer take place to transporter, dealer assist? How were you protected, the over $30,000 vehicle? Internet transaction?
I had mine done on multi car open air carrier (you have the option to book enclosed or open. enclosed was just about $400 more expensive). The transporter took all information for the dealership and had my sales person as POC. He contacted me when he got there, and the three of us synced for pickup. I was protected by the companies insurance which was well over the price of the car. And the transaction was all done online (contract written up, signed, paid).

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had mine done on multi car open air carrier (you have the option to book enclosed or open. enclosed was just about $400 more expensive). The transporter took all information for the dealership and had my sales person as POC. He contacted me when he got there, and the three of us synced for pickup. I was protected by the companies insurance which was well over the price of the car. And the transaction was all done online (contract written up, signed, paid).
Sounds great, thanks! Had no idea. Sounds pretty secure with the sales person involved.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What company was this?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've used Montway several times in the past. Highly recommend. Originally used them based on Rennlist recommendations, and I haven't had a bad experience with them. If shipping something high value, I would use someone all internal like Reliable, but I wouldn't bother with these cars.

With the exception of the internal carriers, these companies are all brokers that post your request on a national board and try to match you with a driver. How they differ can be important though. A few things I've learned fwiw:

1. Price. If your order is posted below market value by your broker, there may not be a company/driver willing to accept if they can just pick up something else at fair value. Some of these brokers will lowball quote you to get you to post with them, and they'll post you below market. If you can't get a transport, they will suggest you can pay more to increase your offer. This may get you the lowest price possible, but it may also delay getting your car.

2. Customer service. Smaller brokers can usually quote you slightly lower prices, but their customer service can vary wildly and may depend on how Junior happens to feel that day. Large brokers like Montway have a reputation to protect and necessarily have to provide good communication to stay in business as a result.

3. Insurance. How rigorously your broker verifies the qualifications and insurance of the drivers they match with can be a big deal if something happens during the trip. Any reputable broker will supply you with a copy of the insurance policy of the transport company when asked. If they won't, DO NOT USE THEM. This is a huge red flag. Also those policies may not cover some things like hail, road debris, etc. I would advise reading it and deciding if you need additional insurance before it ships.

4. Phone calls. If you request a quote through one of these sites that gives you multiple quotes, be prepared for a barrage of phone calls, emails, text messages, etc. everyday from multiple brokers. I did this once just to see how Montway compared. For me, these only lasted until the car was shipped, but I know others who have gotten them weeks after their car was shipped.

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR 86, Pavement Grey, Premium, MT
539 Posts
How far of a trip is it. I was going to ship it but decided to fly out with my nephew and drive it back over the weekend. Worked out great and put a huge dent in the 1000 mile break in period

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've used Montway several times in the past. Highly recommend. Originally used them based on Rennlist recommendations, and I haven't had a bad experience with them. If shipping something high value, I would use someone all internal like Reliable, but I wouldn't bother with these cars.

With the exception of the internal carriers, these companies are all brokers that post your request on a national board and try to match you with a driver. How they differ can be important though. A few things I've learned fwiw:

1. Price. If your order is posted below market value by your broker, there may not be a company/driver willing to accept if they can just pick up something else at fair value. Some of these brokers will lowball quote you to get you to post with them, and they'll post you below market. If you can't get a transport, they will suggest you can pay more to increase your offer. This may get you the lowest price possible, but it may also delay getting your car.

2. Customer service. Smaller brokers can usually quote you slightly lower prices, but their customer service can vary wildly and may depend on how Junior happens to feel that day. Large brokers like Montway have a reputation to protect and necessarily have to provide good communication to stay in business as a result.

3. Insurance. How rigorously your broker verifies the qualifications and insurance of the drivers they match with can be a big deal if something happens during the trip. Any reputable broker will supply you with a copy of the insurance policy of the transport company when asked. If they won't, DO NOT USE THEM. This is a huge red flag. Also those policies may not cover some things like hail, road debris, etc. I would advise reading it and deciding if you need additional insurance before it ships.

4. Phone calls. If you request a quote through one of these sites that gives you multiple quotes, be prepared for a barrage of phone calls, emails, text messages, etc. everyday from multiple brokers. I did this once just to see how Montway compared. For me, these only lasted until the car was shipped, but I know others who have gotten them weeks after their car was shipped.
Very informative! Thanks a lot! I was originally considering Montway so really helped out! How long did it take for you to get a driver assigned and the car picked up, shipped and delivered?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How far of a trip is it. I was going to ship it but decided to fly out with my nephew and drive it back over the weekend. Worked out great and put a huge dent in the 1000 mile break in period
I’d be going from Nampa, Idaho to Los Angeles, Ca so about 900 miles give or take. Chose the shipping route due to my job and not being able to be out for too long at the moment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hmm, is it worth trusting such companies? If we are talking about large amounts (and here, I am sure that they are), then I prefer large companies that are market leaders and have a clear and well-established delivery system. For example, such as USPS. This company has been on the world stage for a long time in terms of deliveries and has a clear structure. I can even use Sendungsverfolgung Post track the location and route of my order. And do I have the opportunity to do this when ordering with the help of this company?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yeah well how about shipping from Seattle to Athens Greece. Am hoping to ship two cars in a 40' container. It's tough finding a shipper that can do port to port, seems they would open transport to Mideast and then containerize there to ship to Athens.
I'd much rather stuff a container here, seal it and receive it over there.
No such luck yet.
Advice?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Quality, reliable, and reasonably priced:

·
Registered
5 Posts
shipacardirect was great got my 86 in 3 days from OK to CA and prompt service !

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Track Bred Premium MT
1,056 Posts
Yeah well how about shipping from Seattle to Athens Greece. Am hoping to ship two cars in a 40' container. It's tough finding a shipper that can do port to port, seems they would open transport to Mideast and then containerize there to ship to Athens.
I'd much rather stuff a container here, seal it and receive it over there.
No such luck yet.
Advice?
Wouldn’t it be easier to buy the car in England or even Austria, where its built, and ship it from there?

·
Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
1,516 Posts
For whatever reason this thread is attracting a higher than usual amount of duplicate account spammers posting shipping companies.

Just wanted to let you all know that references to 'Quantum Transport' were removed for that reason.

Otherwise, carry on :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts