Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

Trunk Lid Inside Handle

10K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  _hsb_ 
#1 ·
First minor gripe..

The lack of anything to grab to close the trunk lid is crazy to me. Grabbing the painted top of the trunk feels soo.. wrong.

If anyone has "jerry rigged" a pull strap or handle for the inside of their BRZ trunk, please reply with what you did. I'll do the same when I solve the missing handle.

#9 ·
Hatches almost always have some kind of handle/strap to pull down the hatch.

"Trunked" vehicles it is a little more rare I guess, because you don't have to be reaching way above your head in most cases to close a trunk.

Both my '98 and '11 lexus sedans did have a handle

#15 ·
I'm also a bit OCD about this and my cars are usually a bit dusty and I dont like disturbing the dust and leaving prints. For me its not about the functionality its about not disturbing the paint.

Does anyone have a picture of where a handle should go? I dont have my car yet.

I like to 3D print and design stuff and I might try to come up with something if there are mount points nearby.

#22 ·
I touch the paint, because it’s not the first car I’ve ever owned nor will it be the last, and unless
you’ve got rings on or sandpaper for fingertips nothing will happen to the paint by touching it.

I mean, I get wanting to take care of the car as much as possible, but there’s a point where it becomes a bit ridiculous.

#24 ·
I just wanted to follow up to add that I found what I think is the best place to pull the trunk shut. Right at the top of the latch where it meets the trunk there is a squared off ledge thats very easy to hold onto with just your fingertips.
Product Automotive tire Publication Shelf Automotive design

I've also started to shut the door using the bit of trim that extends past the window at the top of the door. Just another trick for us OCD owners 🤣

Wheel Tire Hood Vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive tire Hood Textile Sleeve Bumper

#26 ·
I installed the Perrin trunk handle. You are essentially enlarging an existing hole for a plastic retaining clip to be able to install a rivnut to bolt in the new handle. I just used a stepped drill bit to make it easier and eliminate the risk of punching through. installation was less than 10 minutes and most of the time was removing and reinstalling all the plastic retaining clips.

I also close the door using the black edge trim and almost killed my wife and kids for not doing the same!

#27 ·
I also close the door using the black edge trim and almost killed my wife and kids for not doing the same!
Sounds like they should come with trunk handles standard, purely for the safety of wives & children.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.