Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I’m a 20 year old saving up for my first fun car. I’ve had my eye set on the GR86 since it’s initial unveiling, and I do think I’m going to get one when it releases come fall. I’ve never driven a manual, so I’m looking towards the automatic. For daily driving purposes, and just occasional fun, it seems like a better candidate for me. The only thing is, why is the 0-60 time slower? I always thought autos were faster at this day in age? I’m somewhat open to the idea of the manual and learning it for this reason, that being said I also understand that if I get a manual it will be slower, just because of my lack of experience. Feel free to leave opinions on the matter, maybe some recommendations on which to go for, and if you have any insight on the speed discrepancy between the two I would love to read it. Disclaimer for those who don’t know, the times floating around are 6.1 for the manual, and 6.6 for the auto (which isn’t a jaw dropping difference, but there nonetheless).

·
Registered
603 Posts
From my experience (and just preference) i’d get the 86/BRZ with a manual just because of how engaging it is and the chassis is a real treat with all that control. It’s also easy to learn on the twins. With that being said buy what you want and enjoy it, auto or manual.

As far as the auto being slower I always thought it was because the auto was made more for fuel economy (I could be wrong) my friend had one when we all bought our cars.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Okay, so I’m a 20 year old saving up for my first fun car. I’ve had my eye set on the GR86 since it’s initial unveiling, and I do think I’m going to get one when it releases come fall. I’ve never driven a manual, so I’m looking towards the automatic. For daily driving purposes, and just occasional fun, it seems like a better candidate for me. The only thing is, why is the 0-60 time slower? I always thought autos were faster at this day in age? I’m somewhat open to the idea of the manual and learning it for this reason, that being said I also understand that if I get a manual it will be slower, just because of my lack of experience. Feel free to leave opinions on the matter, maybe some recommendations on which to go for, and if you have any insight on the speed discrepancy between the two I would love to read it. Disclaimer for those who don’t know, the times floating around are 6.1 for the manual, and 6.6 for the auto (which isn’t a jaw dropping difference, but there nonetheless).
in the GT86 the automatic transmission gear ratios were all longer than the equivalent ones in the manual gearbox. I believe this is the same situation in the GR86 but the additional power and torque from the new 2.4 engine appear to reduce the performance deficit. If there is no auto option it will be a deal breaker for me the amount of time spent in stop go traffic. I’ve never missed a gear with an automatic and most autos can change gears quicker than I can.

·
Super Moderator
694 Posts
This car has a great auto box, its very strong in that it can actually take a lot of power (more than the manual box), but it is a little old school in its design.

The reason why its slower is because these older automatics use fluid to connect the drivetrain and engine. Imagine a water wheel - but dont imagine a water wheel, if you get what I mean =D.

DEFINITLY learn to drive a manual if you have the chance too! Honestly it will not take long and once you get the hang of it its very cool, and VERY easy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
This car has a great auto box, its very strong in that it can actually take a lot of power (more than the manual box), but it is a little old school in its design.

The reason why its slower is because these older automatics use fluid to connect the drivetrain and engine. Imagine a water wheel - but dont imagine a water wheel, if you get what I mean =D.

DEFINITLY learn to drive a manual if you have the chance too! Honestly it will not take long and once you get the hang of it its very cool, and VERY easy.
Video on the BRZ auto , is the same unit in the GT/GR86?

·
Super Moderator
694 Posts
Video on the BRZ auto , is the same unit in the GT/GR86?

Yeah, its the same unit for 2022 with some improvements. The one thing this unit does well, for its old style, is that it changes gears fairly quickly, and the ECU is programmed reall really well for hard driving.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yeah, its the same unit for 2022 with some improvements. The one thing this unit does well, for its old style, is that it changes gears fairly quickly, and the ECU is programmed reall really well for hard driving.
I‘m used to VAG DSG which are lighting quick. I tested an auto GT86 and it was fine , not as quick shifting as DSG but not far off and way quicker than I could swap gears with a manual box. It’s also nice to change gear with either the paddles or the shift lever 👍

·
Registered
512 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Seikan! In the grand scheme of things 0.5 seconds isn't the end of the world between the two transmissions. and remember the 6.1 in the manual is under ideal conditions and you get each shift right.

If you want to learn stick then there's few better cars to learn on (though I'd recommend practice on other cars too) it's obviously more engaging than an automatic. But depending on your daily commute the auto might be the way to go. Either way you can't really go wrong with either in my opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wouldn’t get hung up on a few tenths of a second 0-60, that’s not what this car is about. It’s a platform to learn how to drive a car on a track, at an autocross event, and to just put a grin on your face whenever you go for a spin. That being said, you’re right typically manuals are slower but IMO the fun of engaging in heel-toe, perfectly matching revs at a track etc. make the manual the go-to for me. Either transmission will be fun to drive!

·
Registered
776 Posts
I wouldn’t get hung up on a few tenths of a second 0-60, that’s not what this car is about. It’s a platform to learn how to drive a car on a track, at an autocross event, and to just put a grin on your face whenever you go for a spin. That being said, you’re right typically manuals are slower but IMO the fun of engaging in heel-toe, perfectly matching revs at a track etc. make the manual the go-to for me. Either transmission will be fun to drive!
Welcome @LacroixDP

Totally agree!
Did you or still do own a 86/BRZ? Or any similar sports car?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Ty! I had a first gen 86 and very much loved it. My DD is a new Corolla Hatch with suspension work, which handles surprisingly well. My track only car is a 335i with a ST PTE conversion.
Welcome to the forum! Are you looking to trade in the Corolla for the GR86? Or are you going to add it to your garage?

·
Registered
663 Posts
If you can go with the Manual for sure. But I don't think you'll be disappointed in the automatic either.

·
Registered
376 Posts
If you don't know how to drive a manual transmission buy the automatic. From what I have read it is a sport transmission. It might be a half second slower in the 0-60 testing. However 0-60 is not real world driving and does not reflect the reality of stop and go traffic. Remember also that this car is built to a price point so don't expect the transmission to be state of the art like Porsche or Ferrari. An 86 or BRZ can still be enjoyable with an automatic transmission particularly now that the new car has so much more torque and at a lower RPM. In day to day driving it is the mid range torque that is the most important. Even with the extra power and torque this is not a straight-line car. Its still about backroad curves and still a momentum car on the track. The new car simply offers more of this than the old car and corrects the torque deficit the old car had. The automatic transmission is not going to change that. Being able to drive a manual transmission is a skill that you can learn. However there is no shame in owning an automatic. It makes the 86 an easier daily driver and easier to sell down the road.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The auto in the GT86 was very nice to use especially with the paddles or gear stick to change manually. With the new 2.4 engine should be even better. I personally don’t see any downside to the auto👍

·
Registered
69 Posts
With the increased torque from the new larger engine combined with the fact it is developed considerably lower in the rev range, the automatic version of the GR 86 or BRZ should be excellent. For those like me who left-foot brake, it is unlikely there will be a performance deficit in the real world.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Ty! I had a first gen 86 and very much loved it. My DD is a new Corolla Hatch with suspension work, which handles surprisingly well. My track only car is a 335i with a ST PTE conversion.
Nice!
Will your GR 86 be getting in some track time as well?
If so, what track focused (and even street) mods would you get?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts