Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

Toyota & Subaru Event April 5th "Let's Make Ever-Better Cars Together!"

11K views 41 replies 10 participants last post by  Blighty 
#1 ·
Subaru's Japanese website has a very interesting page up that announces a web event with Toyota taking place on April 5th.

Will it be about the BRZ/GR86 or something else?

Font Screenshot Circle Number Parallel

See less See more
#3 ·
Some rumors say this can be for the hot hatch toyota keeps teasing us with. What I dont understand is why would toyota go through the trouble of teaming up with subaru to make something new if they already built the GR yaris. Is it not possible to use most parts of the gr yaris like the engine and such for the future gr corolla?

#4 · (Edited)
This websites says they have contacted spokesperson from Australia and confirmed details will be shared locally in the coming weeks.

The person who wrote this article also seems extremely sure that this is the GR86.

I mean if information is coming to dealers in the the next few weeks, this can only be the GR86 in my mind.

Also, check out this very nice render!

#5 ·
I didn't see anything in that article about sharing with dealers.

I'm torn here. The "even better cars" seems very futuristic and makes me think this could be the e-TNGA/Evoltis car.

However, it's also using Toyota GR name on it and having GR execs there. So this HAS to be the GR86. I mean... it's a GR car.

Kind of makes me wonder if maybe the gap between the BRZ and the GR86 launch was just so they could differentiate the two. And hopefully the GR86 is a step up from the BRZ.

#6 ·
I didn't see anything in that article about sharing with dealers.

I'm torn here. The "even better cars" seems very futuristic and makes me think this could be the e-TNGA/Evoltis car.

However, it's also using Toyota GR name on it and having GR execs there. So this HAS to be the GR86. I mean... it's a GR car.

Kind of makes me wonder if maybe the gap between the BRZ and the GR86 launch was just so they could differentiate the two. And hopefully the GR86 is a step up from the BRZ.
That's what makes me think it's GR86 related because they have Koji Sato speaking for Toyota. I feel they'd have someone else speak if it was for an EV.

#17 ·
I dont think it is about the GR86. First off, the pictures of the logos could be a stock image with absolutely no meaning behind it. Second, it makes n sense that it will be the GR86. The two companies already settles to GR86/BRZ formula. Yes Toyota president told GR to make it different from the BRZ, but why would they reach out to subaru to help them do it? Yes subaru will manufacture it, but based on the advertisement, they will be making a car that will benefit both companies. Subaru helping toyota make a better 86 so toyota can take the sells away from the BRZ makes no sense.
I think this could be the GR corolla, or a FW revival. Subaru is long due for a performance hatchback and toyota wants to have one for the states. Logically this makes sense. Another option is subaru bringing back a performance hatchback and toyota using that platform to make a FWD sports car, like the Celica. But I think the GR corolla makes the most sense.

#19 ·
I dont think it is about the GR86. First off, the pictures of the logos could be a stock image with absolutely no meaning behind it. Second, it makes n sense that it will be the GR86. The two companies already settles to GR86/BRZ formula. Yes Toyota president told GR to make it different from the BRZ, but why would they reach out to subaru to help them do it? Yes subaru will manufacture it, but based on the advertisement, they will be making a car that will benefit both companies. Subaru helping toyota make a better 86 so toyota can take the sells away from the BRZ makes no sense.
I think this could be the GR corolla, or a FW revival. Subaru is long due for a performance hatchback and toyota wants to have one for the states. Logically this makes sense. Another option is subaru bringing back a performance hatchback and toyota using that platform to make a FWD sports car, like the Celica. But I think the GR corolla makes the most sense.
I like where your head is at, but I can't see Subaru partnering with Toyota on a WRX.

Besides there are some new spy photos out in the past few weeks of the upcoming WRX, so I think it's almost here. Or could Toyota just re-brand a version of the WRX for themselves???

#21 · (Edited)
I just discovered five patent applications from both Subaru and Toyota that cover this partnership!

These documents are about the body of an electric vehicle and sections of the body structure. They show a sedan but I'm not sure we can be 100% on that just yet.

Its likely the rumored hot hatch that's also mentioned above and Toyobaru showing a sedan in patents gets close enough to that without completely giving the final model away.

This makes things even more exciting. It plays into what we've been hearing about e-TNGA platform development and will go a long way to boost performance. And there's really no other way to do a hot hatch in 2022+

Attachments

#25 ·
I just discovered five patent applications from both Subaru and Toyota that cover this partnership!

These documents are about the body of an electric vehicle and sections of the body structure. They show a sedan but I'm not sure we can be 100% on that just yet.

Its likely the rumored hot hatch that's also mentioned above and Toyobaru showing a sedan in patents gets close enough to that without completely giving the final model away.

This makes things even more exciting. It plays into what we've been hearing about e-TNGA platform development and will go a long way to boost performance. And there's really no other way to do a hot hatch in 2022+
Not much to go on from the shape they use but regardless this is very very interesting. I hope it's a performance electric sedan rather than an economy car.

Nice job finding this @apex!

#24 ·
Not when there's been a lot of legitimate things going on the in background for a while and many clear examples in recent times of what consumers actually want. Its also unusual for information of this detail to be used as a prank from an automaker, or anyone really.

#29 ·
Here is my NEW idea! For those who read my original idea I posted a few days ago, I still think that it is a strong possibility but I was thinking of something new the other day. I think this april 5th event IS in fact about the GR86. Both Toyota and Subaru will make an 86 that is eligible to be sold in Europe. This can be via engine changes or even a hybrid. The time line makes sense. First they already produced the BRZ/86. Then they announced it cant be sold in Europe for emissions or whatever. Toyota delays their reveal b/c they know they want to make the 86 available for the European market. So Akio Toyoda tells his team to make the car perform different then the BRZ. I think what he means by this is, make it eligible to be sold in Europe. Think about it, the brz/86 twins are already perfect for what it stands for. What more change could they possibly add without changing the selling price? I have a feeling they will talk about a hybrid GR86 or some type of more eco friendly GR86. And honestly, it makes sense even for the US market. Similar handling, the 86 will definitely faster and have more horse power then the BRZ, but won't have a manual trans (unless hybrid and manual is possible). The brz will be the slower of the 2, be NA, and provide a manual tranny.

#32 ·
Not seen anything about the GR86 not being eligible to be sold in Europe, it's only the BRZ as Subaru's used up all their carbon allowance producing relatively polluting cars. Whereas Toyota have more of a margin to play with thanks to making a lot of hybrid & economical cars. I really really hope the GR86 makes it to the UK anyway.

#36 ·
A press release with GR86 specs can be found in this thread:

These videos show the two cars in action.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.