Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subaru's Japanese website has a very interesting page up that announces a web event with Toyota taking place on April 5th.

Will it be about the BRZ/GR86 or something else?

Subaru-Toyota-event-2.png

·
Registered
30 Posts
Some rumors say this can be for the hot hatch toyota keeps teasing us with. What I dont understand is why would toyota go through the trouble of teaming up with subaru to make something new if they already built the GR yaris. Is it not possible to use most parts of the gr yaris like the engine and such for the future gr corolla?

·
Registered
83 Posts
This websites says they have contacted spokesperson from Australia and confirmed details will be shared locally in the coming weeks.

The person who wrote this article also seems extremely sure that this is the GR86.

I mean if information is coming to dealers in the the next few weeks, this can only be the GR86 in my mind.

Also, check out this very nice render!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I didn't see anything in that article about sharing with dealers.

I'm torn here. The "even better cars" seems very futuristic and makes me think this could be the e-TNGA/Evoltis car.

However, it's also using Toyota GR name on it and having GR execs there. So this HAS to be the GR86. I mean... it's a GR car.

Kind of makes me wonder if maybe the gap between the BRZ and the GR86 launch was just so they could differentiate the two. And hopefully the GR86 is a step up from the BRZ.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I'm torn here. The "even better cars" seems very futuristic and makes me think this could be the e-TNGA/Evoltis car.

However, it's also using Toyota GR name on it and having GR execs there. So this HAS to be the GR86. I mean... it's a GR car.

Kind of makes me wonder if maybe the gap between the BRZ and the GR86 launch was just so they could differentiate the two. And hopefully the GR86 is a step up from the BRZ.
That's what makes me think it's GR86 related because they have Koji Sato speaking for Toyota. I feel they'd have someone else speak if it was for an EV.

·
Registered
83 Posts

Perhaps its my assumption of what sharing locally means. Could be wrong, but excited about what's going to be announced regardless.

"Spokespeople for both brands in Australia were unable to comment or provide further details for the upcoming announcement, however confirmed more information would be shared locally in the coming weeks."

Oh, and its not even better, its ever-better. Ever better might be indicative of improvement of an existing car.

·
Registered
260 Posts

That car is getting revealed at the Shanghai Motor Show which is from April 21-28. Which makes it more likely this event on the 5th is about the GR86/BRZ.

·
Registered
355 Posts
It could actually be the GR86 and BRZ. Didn't think that initially because the outgoing 86 and BRZ have these lines running along the front badge but the 2022 BRZ does not. Its completely flat this time around.

2022 BRZ

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sounds like an ICE car to me. GR has never been involved with BEVs just yet. And when it comes to performance cars, I don’t see BEVs replacing ICE cars anytime soon. As of the moment, GR is synonymous with ICE cars.

·
Registered
355 Posts
No I have sit once in a GT86 on a car sell-show in 2013. I was not intrested in that car realy much at that time.
Any specific things about it you didn't like that really stood out? Do you see them being addressed in the 2022 BRZ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I dont think it is about the GR86. First off, the pictures of the logos could be a stock image with absolutely no meaning behind it. Second, it makes n sense that it will be the GR86. The two companies already settles to GR86/BRZ formula. Yes Toyota president told GR to make it different from the BRZ, but why would they reach out to subaru to help them do it? Yes subaru will manufacture it, but based on the advertisement, they will be making a car that will benefit both companies. Subaru helping toyota make a better 86 so toyota can take the sells away from the BRZ makes no sense.
I think this could be the GR corolla, or a FW revival. Subaru is long due for a performance hatchback and toyota wants to have one for the states. Logically this makes sense. Another option is subaru bringing back a performance hatchback and toyota using that platform to make a FWD sports car, like the Celica. But I think the GR corolla makes the most sense.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That car is getting revealed at the Shanghai Motor Show which is from April 21-28. Which makes it more likely this event on the 5th is about the GR86/BRZ.

The BRZ is already made though. I dont think Subaru would be in talks with Toyota to make a better BRZ if they already have it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I dont think it is about the GR86. First off, the pictures of the logos could be a stock image with absolutely no meaning behind it. Second, it makes n sense that it will be the GR86. The two companies already settles to GR86/BRZ formula. Yes Toyota president told GR to make it different from the BRZ, but why would they reach out to subaru to help them do it? Yes subaru will manufacture it, but based on the advertisement, they will be making a car that will benefit both companies. Subaru helping toyota make a better 86 so toyota can take the sells away from the BRZ makes no sense.
I think this could be the GR corolla, or a FW revival. Subaru is long due for a performance hatchback and toyota wants to have one for the states. Logically this makes sense. Another option is subaru bringing back a performance hatchback and toyota using that platform to make a FWD sports car, like the Celica. But I think the GR corolla makes the most sense.
I like where your head is at, but I can't see Subaru partnering with Toyota on a WRX.

Besides there are some new spy photos out in the past few weeks of the upcoming WRX, so I think it's almost here. Or could Toyota just re-brand a version of the WRX for themselves???

1 - 20 of 42 Posts