Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
pending purchase either GR86/BRZ
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a comment on one of the past posts that questioned the ability/knowledge of Toyota vs Subaru mechanics when working on the Boxer engine. Is this a legitimate concern and does anyone have any personal or first hand knowledge about this issue. Anticipating the arrival of my GR86 in January and the issue is creating doubts about my choice of cars. Thanks for any input!

Registered
Ordered a 22 Neptune Blue GR86 Manual
Back in the early days of the first gen with the valve spring recalls, IIRC most of the folks who had a problem after the repair were those who took it to toyota. Im sure there were still some subarus that had an issue after as well but I feel like most of the 2013s that had issue after the recall were Scions. I'd like to think though that after 7 years though the Toyota techs have a better understanding of what to do, if they had an issue in the first place.

Registered
pending purchase either GR86/BRZ
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kushkaki, " I'd like to think" and hope you are correct but based on my age/experience, I have a tendency to want assurances and not to "assume" that people do have that " better understanding".

Registered
Kushkaki, " I'd like to think" and hope you are correct but based on my age/experience, I have a tendency to want assurances and not to "assume" that people do have that " better understanding".
You might be referencing I comment I made long ago on here. Kushkaki is on the nose about the spring recall, but also in the beginning Toyota was also working out the supply chain with Subaru as far as dealerships getting parts and etc.

Toyota has been better at servicing/working on the 86/BRZ as opposed to the Supra, but there鈥檚 always the added benefit Subaru techs have working on a full lineup of boxers.(while also having supply)

I see people say 鈥渋t should be the same鈥 for years but in reality Toyota still works on their products more then the collab cars. (Camry, Corolla, 4runner, Tundra etc.)

Not a cause for concern but BRZ owners do have that added benefit.

Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
You know how the saying goes...
"If you want it done right, you gotta do it yourself"
haha!
Absolutely 100%...!! I dont bring my cars to the dealer or any repair shop unless 100% necessary. In the past I have had dealers strip out oil drain plugs, strip\break wheel studs, damage a rim simply puting a car on the lift, and cause more oil leaks than they attempted to fix. Unless there is a MAJOR problem or recall, I will do it myself. People like to think being "professional" at something means you are amazing at it. All it really means is you get paid for it. Mechanics are paid by book hours and not work hours so it is to their advantage to fly through jobs to get them done as fast as possible. With that being said basic subaru repairs and maintenance are incredibly easy. But once you get to anything in the moderate-intense level of difficulty, I sure as heck wouldnt want a toyota tech under my hood. Sure they have been on sale for almost 10 years now, but these are low volume cars. They dont come through the shop like camrys.

Premium Member
Absolutely 100%...!! I dont bring my cars to the dealer or and repair shop unless 100% necessary. In the past I have had dealers strip out oil drain plugs, strip\break wheel studs, damage a rim simply puting a car on the lift, and cause more oil leaks than they attempted to fix. Unless there is a MAJOR problem or recall, I will do it myself. People like to think being "professional" at something means you are amazing at it. All it really means is you get paid for it. Mechanics are paid by book hours and not work hours so it is to their advantage to fly through jobs to get them done as fast as possible. With that being said basic subaru repairs and maintenance are incredibly easy. But once you get to anything in the moderate-intense level of difficulty, I sure as heck wouldnt want a toyota tech under my hood. Sure they have been on sale for almost 10 years now, but these are low volume cars. They dont come through the shop like camrys.
Yeah, book time is what it is.. either you luck out and have a good day, or your life is a hellscape and you make peanuts.

It's why I always end up double checking work if I have to bring it somewhere. Overfilled oil, wheel bolts that are torqued to 'how do you even get these off' levels, etc.

When I had my BMW in the shop it went into Transport mode somehow - luckily I have all the diag software to check things myself and reset. But it's like c'mon check your work.

Registered
There's nothing magic in these engines that should confuse anyone who understands engines, but it seems like there's some magic required to find a competent mechanic. Most people like to think mechanics are crooks, but I don't attribute malice where incompetence better fits. Book pay nonsense only discourages competency and proper diagnosis while encouraging covering up of poor work and blaming continued problems on additional part failures where real diagnosis would have most likely found the true problem in the first place. Frankly, it's a garbage job that's harder, requires more tool purchases, continual education, less stability, and doesn't pay as well as pretty much any of the other trades. The people smart enough to be competent that don't pick a different trade are, therefore, relatively few. Unless I know I found a good mechanic, I treat them as laborers where I do the diagnosis and tell them what likely needs to be done. If it's a brief job, I still do it myself out of convenience and maybe I'm just getting older, but I realized now that I don't have to work on my cars that I don't enjoy it.

Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
True. Many mechanics are incompetent. Many either dont know enough or are just in too much of a hurry. Its the service writers that are the crooks.

Registered
Agree with the above. If i get the 86 it will not be going to Toyota for servicing if i can help it. Here in the Uk and especially around the South East we have a choice of 3 dealership groups and they are all appalling!

One particular group ending with a name of a bird are known to miss or intentionally skip service items/checks but charge top dollar for the privilidge.

To be fair to them they mainly cater for the minicab/uber drivers driving Toyota Priuses. Most of them could not care less for the cars nor do they check the work done.

in Europe it is one of the reasons why Toyota have scrapped the 5 year warranty and offer 3 years as standard. Then if you service your car at a dealer it is renewed for another year with breakdown cover. This is till the car is 10 years old. Not a bad deal if you plan on keeping the car for a few years then replace it for another new one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts