Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Three questions for discussion, purely hypothetical:

1. How many years do you think the new model will be produced?
2. Will there be a facelift in your opinion?
3. When will the performance package be available?

1. I think they will end production by 2025 due to increasing restrictions and the specter of a ban on internal combustion engines. In Norway, already in 2025 banning the sale of new ICE cars.
2. No.
3. Late 2023 - to pick up falling interest.

Feel free to discuss.

·
Registered
42 Posts
yea I heard about 2025; sad to hear, thats another reason I want to get this car, its very cyberpunk imo. this car will be a legend by 2040. Supposedly by 2030 experts estimate that roughly 20 percent of cars on the road will be electric self driving vehicles. the GR86 in 2040 will be looked at the way people look at the mk4 supra, and all the other 90's sports cars. Analog is going to die, and I like the mix of analog and tech on this 86. I hate how over engineered in the wrong places the MK5 is (why spent time and money on pumping fake engine noises into the cabin, among other things). Thats why I have an affinity for 90's sports cars, just the right amount of tech, and I love that Toyota and Nissan and the Americans are bringing back sports cars for this last leg of the combustion engines lifecycle. our kids and their kids will look at these cars they way we look at 80-90s sports cars. I feel 80 years older just writing this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Passenger cars are barely a fraction of the overall emissions. The vast majority of emissions come from industrial production and transportation (look up cargo container emissions + use of bunker fuel - it's a revelation). So for them to try to eliminate gasoline cars is a total disgrace. Don't give up and most importantly be sure to vote for policies that would protect our cherished privilege.

Personally in the US, that means you will want to vote with the right-leaning candidates. Although if things were not so partisan right now, I'd also be content to see an agreement to exempt passenger cars and some vehicles from such onerous regulations that are intended to destroy such a beautiful piece of automotive culture & history.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Passenger cars are barely a fraction of the overall emissions. The vast majority of emissions come from industrial production and transportation (look up cargo container emissions + use of bunker fuel - it's a revelation). So for them to try to eliminate gasoline cars is a total disgrace. Don't give up and most importantly be sure to vote for policies that would protect our cherished privilege.

Personally in the US, that means you will want to vote with the right-leaning candidates. Although if things were not so partisan right now, I'd also be content to see an agreement to exempt passenger cars and some vehicles from such onerous regulations that are intended to destroy such a beautiful piece of automotive culture & history.
Yea, if y'all haven't yet you should sign the SEMA petition, thats abasing the New regulations that the EPA is trying to impose. I will link it down below

Basically the EPA is trying to make morotrsports illegal.

The more advanced way to put it:

is that you cannot buy aftermarket parts for road cars to convert them into race cars. The only people who can build race cars would be multi million dollar companies and teams.

The average person wouldn't be able to buy aftermarket parts and to then track their car. Regular people wouldn't be able to race anything other than stock cars at events. You would have to be hired by one of the large companies.

But how will these companies even find tuners and engineers for their teams if people can't practice on their own cars.

I'm not even going discuss the ramifications on the economy because it be losing the billion dollar business that is the aftermarket. If you want more details press the link above and it outline everything in more detail.

This is only for the US but I think my foreign brothers should sign this too, before it is too late and your countries start implementing what America is doing.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi.

1. I think they will end production by 2025 due to increasing restrictions and the specter of a ban on internal combustion engines. In Norway, already in 2025 banning the sale of new ICE cars.
2. No.

Feel free to discuss.
I think the model will last until maybe 2025-2026

there might be a small facelift maybe 2 years in but I think we’ll see more Limited Edition colors.

and we might see a GRMN version as a last hoorah.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I’d expect Toyota to produce the GR86 as long as it’s commercially viable. New pure ICE vehicles are to be be banned from sale in the U.K. by 2030 so I’d expect sales to increase as the deadline nears as enthusiasts try to buy one while they can. I doubt Toyota will put a lot of development money into the GR86 but several Editions (special colour ,wheels , trim , brakes , suspension changes etc) would be easy to produce at very little development cost. Toyota are already doing this with the Supra and the GT86 so I‘d be surprised if the GR86 didn’t get the same.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'm thinking closer to 2030 in North America. Toyota hasn't been as bullish with its EV plans as other companies have.

In the U.S., Toyota says that electrified vehicles will make up 70% of sales by 2030, the majority of which will be hybrids. Battery electric models and fuel-cell vehicles, combined, will make up 15% of U.S. sales by 2030, according to the company.

From that, it’s interesting to note that even by 2030, Toyota sees models with an internal combustion engine under the hood making up 85% of its U.S. sales at the end of the decade—and that 30% of its U.S. lineup won’t have any form of electrification.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm thinking closer to 2030 in North America. Toyota hasn't been as bullish with its EV plans as other companies have.

In the U.S., Toyota says that electrified vehicles will make up 70% of sales by 2030, the majority of which will be hybrids. Battery electric models and fuel-cell vehicles, combined, will make up 15% of U.S. sales by 2030, according to the company.

From that, it’s interesting to note that even by 2030, Toyota sees models with an internal combustion engine under the hood making up 85% of its U.S. sales at the end of the decade—and that 30% of its U.S. lineup won’t have any form of electrification.

I do remember a Toyota employee on the MKVSupra forums saying that any sporty vehicles made these upcoming years will be grandfathered in depending on its lifecycle. (GR Corolla)
Could take that with a grain of salt but he actually said a lot of things that ended up being true.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I do remember a Toyota employee on the MKVSupra forums saying that any sporty vehicles made these upcoming years will be grandfathered in depending on its lifecycle. (GR Corolla)
Could take that with a grain of salt but he actually said a lot of things that ended up being true.
Interesting insight. Do you think electric sports cars will ever reach the popularity of these standard transmission rear wheel drive sports cars of today?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Interesting insight. Do you think electric sports cars will ever reach the popularity of these standard transmission rear wheel drive sports cars of today?
I personally don’t think so. I do think electric cars have their obvious advantages for daily commutes in the city but as far as performance their main thing is speed, 0-60 (Tesla Plaid model) etc. they always hang their hat on “our car is faster” which is boring and irrelevant. But eventually people will love them because that’s all they would know.

Sports cars are so sacred to enthusiasts because they engage all of our senses. It’s rewarding. The smells, the sounds, the feeling. Even the conversations we have about them is what makes sports cars awesome in my opinion. I think Akio, and a lot of engineers would also agree.

For example, in the end if EVs fully take over, I’d still enjoy being in this forum just shooting the shit with you guys because we all share a common love for sports cars. But again, that’s my 2 cents.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thats sounds like 2 dollars to me hahaha. I agree with you it is definitely more rewarding and drabs all my senses. I enjoy the fact that I am in control of the car, with a manual; as opposed to the car being in control of me in an automatic. If Im not mistaken, electric vehicles have no gears (correct me if im wrong), do you think EVs will ever have gear ratios and throw a manual in for future enthusiasts? I think kids of the future will be racing their EVs regardless living like Dom a quarter mile at a time. Some people just love speed, and white lining between traffic. Personally I've always had the midnight club mentality, where you do what you want on an open stretch of road, never endanger others. The reason I love cars so much is because to me they feel like the primitive ancestor to a gundam. Everything I do I want to do at the highest level possible, and that why I enjoy sports cars, because I want to have full control and speed if I want and drift, and use the car to maximum potential. If I go to a gun range Im not shooting one bullet and walking out, I want the whole pie. Cars are the corporeal embodiment of freedom. Thats why I really fxck with Toyota for giving out a free annual membership to the race tracks when you buy the new GR86, Im trying to see y'all at all those events whipping it like Takumi.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thats sounds like 2 dollars to me hahaha. I agree with you it is definitely more rewarding and drabs all my senses. I enjoy the fact that I am in control of the car, with a manual; as opposed to the car being in control of me in an automatic. If Im not mistaken, electric vehicles have no gears (correct me if im wrong), do you think EVs will ever have gear ratios and throw a manual in for future enthusiasts? I think kids of the future will be racing their EVs regardless living like Dom a quarter mile at a time. Some people just love speed, and white lining between traffic. Personally I've always had the midnight club mentality, where you do what you want on an open stretch of road, never endanger others. The reason I love cars so much is because to me they feel like the primitive ancestor to a gundam. Everything I do I want to do at the highest level possible, and that why I enjoy sports cars, because I want to have full control and speed if I want and drift, and use the car to maximum potential. If I go to a gun range Im not shooting one bullet and walking out, I want the whole pie. Cars are the corporeal embodiment of freedom. Thats why I really fxck with Toyota for giving out a free annual membership to the race tracks when you buy the new GR86, Im trying to see y'all at all those events whipping it like Takumi.
I agree with everything you said and I know I had to put a long answer because it’s complicated! Lol.

I don’t think we’ll get electric vehicles with gears just because it’s not needed. The Porsche Taycan has 2 gears more for efficiency at high end speeds similar to an overdrive gear if I’m not mistaken. As far as rowing your own gears, most people just don’t do it and don’t care for it like we do

I’m hoping that the synthetic fuel Porsche is investing in creates an issue for these governments. Lmao. Toyota is trying all these alternatives as well and they might land on synthetic fuels eventually.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree with everything you said and I know I had to put a long answer because it’s complicated! Lol.

I don’t think we’ll get electric vehicles with gears just because it’s not needed. The Porsche Taycan has 2 gears more for efficiency at high end speeds similar to an overdrive gear if I’m not mistaken. As far as rowing your own gears, most people just don’t do it and don’t care for it like we do

I’m hoping that the synthetic fuel Porsche is investing in creates an issue for these governments. Lmao. Toyota is trying all these alternatives as well and they might land on synthetic fuels eventually.
Well I for one am excited to be an old sack of shxt and go watch the young kids drag racing their EV's, at least the cars will be quiet enough for me to play some music and get the party jumping on strip. Turn the drag strip into the Vegas strip haaannn.

·
Super Moderator
300 Posts
Hi.

2. No.

Feel free to discuss.
So much depends on how governments move on climate change responses (which are seemingly accelerating due to surprisingly good uptake of new electric and hybrid cars). If you get one big market like the US demanding some kind of rapid automobile emissions shift then maybe its out by 2025. Then again what if the law only applies to NEW models, then existing models might be hung onto for as long as they can sell them.

I think I might of written on here before, sports cars are in for a radical shakeup. Because all of them will be heavy, and when your econobox electric car can do 0-60 in under 4 seconds (or less!) then how do sports cars distinguish themselves? Luxury items? And what about when everything is autonomous drive? I mean at some point in the (near?) future will kids growing up in all this even want to engage with motorsport? Sports cars might not even exist as a thing outside of collectors, archivists, and old people once we stop driving them ourselves.

But to answer your question and stop ranting.

1 - Last year I thought it might not be any longer than 2025, this year I think we will see them keep going in a couple of regions until 2027 with a very slight potential to stay on sale in japan until 2030. Eu/UK will be done and dusted by 2025.
2 - Last year I said no, this year I think yes. I think Toyota specifically will want to improve the styling on the splitter and side intakes, and Subaru might want to try something less... angular? No performance from the engine though, unless its a supercharger.
3 - Performance package will probably come quickly to suit track day enthusiasts, guess next year around July? potentially 2023 for the 86 if its delayed.

Also, I expect the performance pack being something you will be able to order separately as an upgrade.

Also, I expect a supercharger special edition near the end. (edit: maybe an eBooster?)

·
Registered
4 Posts
So much depends on how governments move on climate change responses (which are seemingly accelerating due to surprisingly good uptake of new electric and hybrid cars). If you get one big market like the US demanding some kind of rapid automobile emissions shift then maybe its out by 2025. Then again what if the law only applies to NEW models, then existing models might be hung onto for as long as they can sell them.

I think I might of written on here before, sports cars are in for a radical shakeup. Because all of them will be heavy, and when your econobox electric car can do 0-60 in under 4 seconds (or less!) then how do sports cars distinguish themselves? Luxury items? And what about when everything is autonomous drive? I mean at some point in the (near?) future will kids growing up in all this even want to engage with motorsport? Sports cars might not even exist as a thing outside of collectors, archivists, and old people once we stop driving them ourselves.

But to answer your question and stop ranting.

1 - Last year I thought it might not be any longer than 2025, this year I think we will see them keep going in a couple of regions until 2027 with a very slight potential to stay on sale in japan until 2030. Eu/UK will be done and dusted by 2025.
2 - Last year I said no, this year I think yes. I think Toyota specifically will want to improve the styling on the splitter and side intakes, and Subaru might want to try something less... angular? No performance from the engine though, unless its a supercharger.
3 - Performance package will probably come quickly to suit track day enthusiasts, guess next year around July? potentially 2023 for the 86 if its delayed.

Also, I expect the performance pack being something you will be able to order separately as an upgrade.

Also, I expect a supercharger special edition near the end. (edit: maybe an eBooster?)
2025? Not a chance in the US, or many other places in the world which have even less developed electrical infrastructure. Just think about how many low cost ICE automobiles in the current range won't even be replaced by 2025. I don't see this happening anytime soon or maybe even ever in the US despite all the media hype about it. Tons of us in the US hate electric cars and will fight tooth and nail against it. Count how many people are renters, especially in the most leftist markets where housing prices are astronomical. Most of these renters don't have a convenient or viable method of charging a car without owning their own solar power panels on a roof.

2030 in Japan? I doubt it, since they are betting on hydrogen.

In any case, please stop with the fatalist kool-aid that the media and gov politicos are trying to get the common folk to drink. Giving up and resigning ourselves to an electric future at this stage is the wrong sentiment to have. It's folly to just "accept" this level of governmental control and intrusion as a foregone conclusion when the fight against electric cars is far from over. Why not spend your energy saying the opposite instead? How about "one big market" like the EU/UK realizing that ICE cars are super clean nowadays and that Communist China and global trade via container ship is the single most polluting factor on the planet on an exponential basis?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts