Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone planning on modifying their GR86 or BRZ as soon as they get theirs delivered? I think I'm going to wait a little bit before deciding on what I want to do and just enjoy the car stock first.

If you are planning mods, where are you going to start first?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is anyone planning on modifying their GR86 or BRZ as soon as they get theirs delivered? I think I'm going to wait a little bit before deciding on what I want to do and just enjoy the car stock first.

If you are planning mods, where are you going to start first?
I'm planning on getting a rocket bunny kit as soon as it comes out for the new gr86

·
Registered
989 Posts
I think TEIN Street Basis Z Coilovers for the GR86 will help a lot. It did with a friends 86 as part of his mild street build. A wheel/tire set to go with it would be ideal as well as I figure out what specs to go with.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
1,898 Posts
Well firstly I think it seems great stock, just with the numbers. And so I'll be driving her that way for a while.

When (if?) I mod, I'll first look at any and all factory suspension and chassis stuff, then after that I'll most likely look at doing dyno tune with a header replacement (high flow or catless - not sure), and then finally an flex fuel sensor with an E85 tune.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I’ll drive it for six months stock before starting off with wheel, tires, suspension, and a wing
THIS!

It's really the best way to experience any new car before moving on to performance mods.
Any other accessories and/or modifications you would get that aren't performance focused in the first 6 months?

BTW, welcome to the forum :)

·
Super Moderator
1,898 Posts
THIS!

It's really the best way to experience any new car before moving on to performance mods.
Any other accessories and/or modifications you would get that aren't performance focused in the first 6 months?

Well.. There is no best way to mod your car.

How fast and how much, and what you mod is a pretty individual thing.

Some people aren't focusses on track performance and just want stance and looks, some will want to make it a better daily with NVH reduction and other stuff.

Some people will want to mod it straight away too, I mean I won't be surprised to see a race to turbo/sc it! Those crazy kids :p

And honestly some people are thinking they are going to keep it stock and essentially let themselves hang on as a great example (we hope!) one of the last manual na engine sports cars to be produced.

·
Registered
17 Posts
THIS!

Definitely modding right away with the shifter, interior lighting, and some interior pieces like suede or Alcantara if there weren’t any. Saving seats, harness, and steering wheel for later.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Well.. There is no best way to mod your car.

How fast and how much, and what you mod is a pretty individual thing.

Some people aren't focusses on track performance and just want stance and looks, some will want to make it a better daily with NVH reduction and other stuff.

Some people will want to mod it straight away too, I mean I won't be surprised to see a race to turbo/sc it! Those crazy kids :p

And honestly some people are thinking they are going to keep it stock and essentially let themselves hang on as a great example (we hope!) one of the last manual na engine sports cars to be produced.
I just think not rushing into performance mods right away is a good approach. It may not be for everyone, but it does let you appreciate the changes you make even more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I plan on driving it straight to the shop and getting it wrapped. I've got some cool ideas in the works.
As far as performance mods, I will most likely keep the GR 86 Premium just the way it comes. It's already going to be a huge upgrade from what I'm currently driving.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I already have a modded R35 GTR and Z06 Vette. I love the new GR86 for its 6 speed manual, rwd, lightweight, fun driving experience, reliability, that it is a great daily driver as well as track car. But, I do want to do a few things to start off without voiding warranty. Is there a way to lower it on stock bolts? (I hate the big gap between the tire and wheel arches..I don't want it slammed or anything, just to look good).

Also need exhaust for better sound so for warranty I guess I'll go with an upgraded factory exhaust (is that available for the GR86?) I'll have to see how the premium black 18" wheels look when it's lowered or I may get new ones. Tinted windows. And then a K&N air filter window sticker should add about 30 horsepower.

·
Registered
560 Posts
For me, I would have to drive it a while to see what I would want to do. If I buy the BRZ, I'm not sure if I need heated seats and the best infotainment system. Coming from a Fiat 500 Abarth, even the base premium car would be an upgrade. Further seat leather(Fiat) is harder to take care of, gets cold in the winter and hot in the summer. A cloth seat might just be the ticket. The main difference then between the BRZ Premium and Limited is the wheels and tires. When you narrow that down, the grip a car has is primarily down to tires. It is certainly easy to swap out the Primacies for Pilot Sport 4's just in 17 inch. Doing that one thing what, think, restore all the added grip that the Limited has. Why not save the 2 grand and spend $600 on tires. Due to where I live an bumpy roads, unless I'm going to track the car, I would not lower it. Then as for power again I would have to see. I live at 7000 feet. The 500 Abarth does pretty well as it is a turbo. I did not do a tune. However I did do an upgraded intake, spark plugs, and a Go Fast Diverter valve. It added a small improvement. I'm sure if I owned the previous BRZ/86 I would definitely do a tune and headers. On this new one I'm not so sure. If I felt the new car felt like it had similar or better power around town than the Abarth, I might just leave it alone. That torque curve, I think by itself, might make the new that much more livable even at 7000 feet. I could do a tune and nothing else. My concern would be that with some intakes and exhausts an engine can actually lose power. So other then a tire swap, I would wait a while and research before I would do anything major to the car.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I already have a modded R35 GTR and Z06 Vette. I love the new GR86 for its 6 speed manual, rwd, lightweight, fun driving experience, reliability, that it is a great daily driver as well as track car. But, I do want to do a few things to start off without voiding warranty. Is there a way to lower it on stock bolts? (I hate the big gap between the tire and wheel arches..I don't want it slammed or anything, just to look good).

Also need exhaust for better sound so for warranty I guess I'll go with an upgraded factory exhaust (is that available for the GR86?) I'll have to see how the premium black 18" wheels look when it's lowered or I may get new ones. Tinted windows. And then a K&N air filter window sticker should add about 30 horsepower.
Any suspension mods will void the suspension warranty if the service department notices it. Had this on my 17 Civic hatch after I put springs on and they were like "Your suspension warranty is void now you know?" I mean yeah, I didn't expect them to cover suspension parts when it's not stock. I read that each company will have an adjustable suspension option if you want that to keep warranty.

How many times have you ever had to get any exhaust parts warrantied? Just get whatever exhaust you want. It's not going to void warranty on anything but the exhaust.

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver Metallic BRZ
56 Posts
Any suspension mods will void the suspension warranty if the service department notices it. Had this on my 17 Civic hatch after I put springs on and they were like "Your suspension warranty is void now you know?" I mean yeah, I didn't expect them to cover suspension parts when it's not stock. I read that each company will have an adjustable suspension option if you want that to keep warranty.

How many times have you ever had to get any exhaust parts warrantied? Just get whatever exhaust you want. It's not going to void warranty on anything but the exhaust.
They legally can’t tell you that unless they can prove that specific part caused a failure.

·
Super Moderator
1,898 Posts

They legally can’t tell you that unless they can prove that specific part caused a failure.
It depends on your mod. Catback is ok. Aero is OK, Suspension is ok. Wheels are OK, All of those things are limited to just the item you have installed.

Everything else though is probably going to raise red flags. In particular modding the ECU gets you into a quagmire as the engine upstream of many many things on the car. Replacing/removing cats or any other kind of potentially illegal mods are running on thin ice.

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Track Bred Premium MT
1,159 Posts
The only modification I’d consider is upgrading the speakers if they’re as crappy as the ones in the previous Toyota’s I’ve owned. Not all 8, probably the mains and maybe add a subwoofer.
A lot of people on the Supra forum I followed complained about theirs, which is pretty sad for a car in the $50k+ price range.

·
Registered
‘22 CWP BRZ Ordered
90 Posts
The only modification I’d consider is upgrading the speakers if they’re as crappy as the ones in the previous Toyota’s I’ve owned. Not all 8, probably the mains and maybe add a subwoofer.
A lot of people on the Supra forum I followed complained about theirs, which is pretty sad for a car in the $50k+ price range.
Supra has the worst speakers of any car I’ve owned lol. The overall sound is okay. Kind of dull mids in my opinion. The worst part is
the subpar design, the stock subs rattle the entire back of the car.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.