Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was this the performance upgrade that Akio Toyoda wanted from the GR86? When your look at the GR86's horsepower numbers to the BRZ's there's a 4 horsepower difference in favor of the GR86.

Toyota GR86 - 232 horsepower (235 metric hp)
Subaru BRZ - 228 horsepower

·
Registered
151 Posts
No, its not what you think.

In Japan the BRZ and GR86 are both 173kw (232hp, 235ps).

The US spec of the BRZ was 228hp. We don't know if that remains accurate (they are estimates) and we don't know what the GR86 will be in the US.

The most probable outcome is that the US version of the GR86 is exactly the same as the BRZ, just as they are in Japan.

·
Registered
101 Posts

The US spec of the BRZ was 228hp. We don't know if that remains accurate (they are estimates) and we don't know what the GR86 will be in the US.

The most probable outcome is that the US version of the GR86 is exactly the same as the BRZ, just as they are in Japan.
I would assume both the GR86 and BRZ would have the same power output. Will probably be differentiated with tuning setup.

·
Registered
499 Posts

Do you think market specific equipment relating to emissions might why the GR86 is slightly higher?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Do you think market specific equipment relating to emissions might why the GR86 is slightly higher?
The GR86 and BRZ are probably slightly higher in japan due to the premium fuel quality. Its 100 RON in Japan.

I could be wrong, it might be emissions related - I mean the BRZ spec sheet in the US says the car is 13.5:1 compression and this one says 12.5:1 compression, that's not something I expected to see.

If I had one wish it was that Toyota and Subaru made there cars flex-fuel though, it annoys me that I'll need to get the car chipped to have that.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I hope so, I don't want to lose on power, even if it's only a couple more.

·
Registered
163 Posts
And assuming the 86 has 4 more horsepower than the BRZ do you honestly think that's going to make a difference that anyone would notice? In 2017 Subaru and Toyota upped the FA20 engine from 200 to 205 HP in the manual version. But what made the car feel fractionally more lively was the final drive ratio change. And as I said it was only very slightly better. It did not get rid of the torque dip. The engine still sounded a bit rough. You still had to rev the hell out of it to get power. So 232HP if this happens to be on the US version of the 86 will do absolutely nothing on its own. Had Toyota upped the horsepower to 245 on the 86 we would certainly feel a difference. Yet you would still have to change the gearing to take advantage of the extra HP.

·
Registered
273 Posts
the extra 4 hp, if that's even accurate for the US market won't make any real difference. Except bragging rights,

@Blighty where did you see the 12.5:1 vs 13.5:1 compression ratio stats?

·
Registered
499 Posts
The GR86 and BRZ are probably slightly higher in japan due to the premium fuel quality. Its 100 RON in Japan.

I could be wrong, it might be emissions related - I mean the BRZ spec sheet in the US says the car is 13.5:1 compression and this one says 12.5:1 compression, that's not something I expected to see.

If I had one wish it was that Toyota and Subaru made there cars flex-fuel though, it annoys me that I'll need to get the car chipped to have that.
Good point.
It won't matter much in the end anyways when comparing stock vs. stock. The only differences we should feel when driving are more in the suspension setup and other chassis related things.

·
Registered
151 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Excellent breakdown of the specs between both models!

2022 Subaru BRZ
2020 Subaru BRZ
engine4-cylinder horizontally opposed (Boxer), alloy cylinder block and cylinder heads4-cylinder, horizontally opposed (Subaru Boxer), die-cast aluminum alloy cylinder block
displacement2.4-liter2.0-liter
bore x stroke3.70x3.39 in. (94x86 mm)3.39x3.39 in. (86x86 mm)
compression ratio13.5:112.5:1
horsepower228 @ 7000 rpm205 @ 7000 rpm (manual); 200 @ 7000 rpm (automatic)
torque184 lb.-ft. @ 3700 rpm156 lb.-ft. @ 6400 rpm (manual); 151 lb.-ft. @ 6400 rpm (automatic)
valvetrainChain-driven double overhead camshafts (DOHC), 4 valves per cylinder, Dual Active Valve Control System (DAVCS) controls valve timing on intake and exhaust camshaftsChain-driven double overhead camshafts (DOHC), 4 valves per cylinder, Subaru Dual Active Valve Control System variable valve timing on intake and exhaust camshafts
transmissionStandard: 6-speed manual with short-throw shifter
Optional: 6-speed automatic with steering wheel paddle shifters and downshift blipping control
Limited-slip rear differential is standard for all
Standard: 6-speed manual
Optional (Limited only): 6-speed automatic with manual shift mode, downshift blipping control and steering wheel paddle shifters
stability/traction controlVehicle Stability Control with traction control and 5 settingsVehicle Stability Control (VSC) with traction control system (TCS); multi-mode switch with Track mode and TCS Off switch
BRZ tS: STI-tuned Vehicle Stability Control and Traction Control System
suspension4-wheel independent
Front: MacPherson-type struts, lower L-arms, coil springs, stabilizer bar
Rear: Double wishbone, coil springs, stabilizer bar
4-wheel independent
Performance Package (optional for Limited): SACHS® performance dampers
BRZ tS: High-performance STI sport-tuned suspension with SACHS® performance dampers, STI coil springs, plus STI flexible draw stiffener on front crossmember and STI flexible V-bar strut tower braces
wheels17-inch aluminum alloy on Premium
18-inch aluminum alloy on Limited
Limited: 17x7.0 in. aluminum alloy: black w/ machine finish
Performance Package: 17x7.5 in. aluminum alloy: high-luster gray finish
BRZ tS: 18x7.5 in. STI aluminum alloy: matte bronze finish
tires215/45 R17 87W Premium
215/40 R18 85Y Limited
Limited and Performance Package: 215/45 R17 87W summer performance
BRZ tS: 215/40 R18 85Y
brakes4-wheel ventilated discFront: 11.6 in. ventilated disc, dual-piston calipers; Performance Package and BRZ tS: 12.8 in BREMBO® ventilated disc, 4-piston calipers
Rear: Limited: 11.4 in. ventilated disc, single-piston calipers
wheelbase101.4 in.101.2 in.
length167.9 in.166.7 in.
width69.9 in.69.9 in.
height51.6 in.52.0 in.
curb weightEstimated for U.S. model: 6-speed manual: Premium 2815 lbs. Limited 2835 lbs.
Automatic Premium 2864 lbs. Automatic Limited 2881 lbs.
6-speed manual: Limited 2798 lbs. Limited w/ Performance Package 2817 lbs. BRZ tS: 2833 lbs.
6-speed automatic: Limited 2840 lbs.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I will bet they are 100% identical. Any handling differences would be down to shocks, springs, bushings, and sway bars. I think they wear the same tires.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts