Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! Does the upward trend of the electric revolution concern you when considering getting a GR 86 or BRZ? Seems like most, if not all automakers are shifting towards electrified vehicles(hybrid, plug-in hybrid, and battery electric). Seems like it’s a sign that availability of brand-new pure ICE cars will be less and less. Is this a good or a bad thing?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hi guys! Does the upward trend of the electric revolution concern you when considering getting a GR 86 or BRZ? Seems like most, if not all automakers are shifting towards electrified vehicles(hybrid, plug-in hybrid, and battery electric). Seems like it’s a sign that availability of brand-new pure ICE cars will be less and less. Is this a good or a bad thing?
On the contrary it gives me more of an incentive to get the GR86 or BRZ while I still can because eventually all new cars are going to be hybrid or electric. Just because companies are switching to electric doesn't mean build quality is going to drop on their current lineup or they won't service gas powered cars down the line.

·
Registered
232 Posts

interesting article on electric vehicles the technology S Curve. The GR86 may well be the end of the ICE sports car offering from Toyota. I’m considering the GR86 as possibly my last ICE car as I’m now looking at electric cars for daily duties , VW iD4, MB EQA , Volvo XC40. The amount of time we spend stuck in slow/standing traffic does make a lot of sense of electric vehicles. People who need to do long journeys electric Is not as appealing. Longest journey we do is around 230 miles so now well within range on an iD4 , maybe on the limit for EQA and XC 40.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
1,301 Posts
Not for me. Even if it wasn't a way away for me (Australia is big and not really electric friendly yet), electric cars give me zero interest from a sports car driving perspective.

To be frank, and put my future glasses on, electric cars, I think, will quickly become ... all the same, and electric "sports cars" themselves will probably fade away as an interest for most people. Electric power is instant, there is no real differentiator between a 'sports' car and a 'shitbox' - they will all end up having the ability to do 0-60 times under 4 seconds. There is NOTHING really exotic and patentable about adding bigger batteries and powering electric motors.

I mean it will be light cars (like the GR86) and what comes from being light in handling dynamics and change of direction that will become rare. Our cars will become classic and quirky and never be able to be built again so in short, supoer desirable.

Think about all how boring electric cars are with a single gear, heavy, theshitbox capable of being a supercar, and ADD to that that all of these cars will be fully connected to your dealership, probably monitored for breaking speeds, probably have anti-tampering software, and probably all become completely automated.

And that's the last straw, automation. Once that takes root, add all the other things about the future of electric, and I can see people never even thinking of electric cars for 'performance' the way we do nowdays.

Sorry to be so grim.

But yeah, buy this and keep it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.