Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2018 it was reported that Toyota was looking for ways to revive the Celica and MR2. This information was leaked by Masayuki Kai, an engineer involved in development of the 2020+ Supra.

A new trademark for "Celica" was filed but seems to be more of a housekeeping move to retain rights to the name and nothing more, for now. Toyota will have three years to use it. After that, a new application to retain the name will be required.

Could a next-generation Celica arrive during the early 2020's?
Blue Green Text White Line

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well clearly Toyota is not going to do a FWD coupe as the previous Celica was. Why cannibalize coupe sales. Further to add the Celica name to the GR86 seems rather confusing and pointless. They are not going to tack it on to the Corolla range either as that would not make any sense. Therefore logic dictates that the name may migrate to the SUV/Crossover market much like Mitsubishi did with its Eclipse Cross. Toyota may want to add a sportier model to one of its smaller crossovers. The Celica represented fwd sport coupes. Maybe Toyota is developing some crossover competition to the Hyundai Kona N. The CHR could be a great candidate for a mechanical make over. Style wise it already looks the part.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I always thought this was a screw up from the get go for Toyota. The original Scion FR-S should have been a Toyota Celica. The 86 name (and FR-S especially) didn’t mean anything to Americans and scion was a failed experiment by this point already. Toyota has a racing heritage and had name recognition with the fairly popular last Gen Celica. They used the car to try and save the Scion brand and it still wasn’t enough. Toyota has never mastered marketing to Americans.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I always thought this was a screw up from the get go for Toyota. The original Scion FR-S should have been a Toyota Celica. The 86 name (and FR-S especially) didn’t mean anything to Americans and scion was a failed experiment by this point already. Toyota has a racing heritage and had name recognition with the fairly popular last Gen Celica. They used the car to try and save the Scion brand and it still wasn’t enough. Toyota has never mastered marketing to Americans.
Great minds think alike, and I thought the same thing as soon as the BRZ/FR-S appeared. Toyota should have branded the car as "Celica" from the beginning. While later models of the Celica were FWD, I believe the Celica was a RWD car from its inception through the 1985 model year. So, Celica and RWD go together just fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.