Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2018 it was reported that Toyota was looking for ways to revive the Celica and MR2. This information was leaked by Masayuki Kai, an engineer involved in development of the 2020+ Supra.

A new trademark for "Celica" was filed but seems to be more of a housekeeping move to retain rights to the name and nothing more, for now. Toyota will have three years to use it. After that, a new application to retain the name will be required.

Could a next-generation Celica arrive during the early 2020's?
Blue Green Text White Line

·
Registered
415 Posts
While I'd love to see the Celica name to come back, I don't see where it would fit in the Toyota lineup with the GR86 and the Supra.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As much as I would love for them to bring back the mr2 and celica, I don't want them to be rebadged cars like the 86 and mkv supra. I want them to be actual toyotas.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The last few Celica's were FWD. Maybe Toyota is going to do the "Ford" thing and assign the name to an SUV or Crossover.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well clearly Toyota is not going to do a FWD coupe as the previous Celica was. Why cannibalize coupe sales. Further to add the Celica name to the GR86 seems rather confusing and pointless. They are not going to tack it on to the Corolla range either as that would not make any sense. Therefore logic dictates that the name may migrate to the SUV/Crossover market much like Mitsubishi did with its Eclipse Cross. Toyota may want to add a sportier model to one of its smaller crossovers. The Celica represented fwd sport coupes. Maybe Toyota is developing some crossover competition to the Hyundai Kona N. The CHR could be a great candidate for a mechanical make over. Style wise it already looks the part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts