• Toyota 86

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Subaru BRZ

Votes: 5 29.4%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Not 100 percent accurate because we have not seen the 86 complete yet. I could change my vote to the 86 once it comes out. But going by the current models I preferred the slightly more conservative style of the BRZ.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Would you guys choose the Toyota 86 or Subaru BRZ and why?
It's all about how the front end looks in the sheet metal. The recent artist renditions of the 86 based on the Australian filing are pretty "blah" - really a pretty characterless front end. So the question is whether "blah" or "quirky" looks better in actual execution.

Oddly, enough I prefer the 86 renderings with a mock-Supra nose and I don't like the front end of the Supra at all. The rendering on the 86 is a bit more interesting than the plain grill.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Well that photo shop seems like a logical design way to distance the 86 from the BRZ and at least identify the 86 as the Supra's Toyota brother. This was sort of what I envisioned the 86 to look like. Obviously a mule is a mule. It has little bearing on the final design other than headlamps. I personally agree that it looks more natural on the 86 than the Supra. Remember also that the final design of the Supra was really a compromise. What I mean is that the show car was a bit longer and had a longer hood. However the final design had to fit into the platform parameters of the BMW Z4. That made the hood and the overall car shorter thereby compromising the original show car design.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well that photo shop seems like a logical design way to distance the 86 from the BRZ and at least identify the 86 as the Supra's Toyota brother. This was sort of what I envisioned the 86 to look like. Obviously a mule is a mule. It has little bearing on the final design other than headlamps. I personally agree that it looks more natural on the 86 than the Supra. Remember also that the final design of the Supra was really a compromise. What I mean is that the show car was a bit longer and had a longer hood. However the final design had to fit into the platform parameters of the BMW Z4. That made the hood and the overall car shorter thereby compromising the original show car design.
My objection to the Supra goes well beyond the nose, which is more of a minor miscue. All the weird swoops, odd lines and fake vents just make it a hot mess from a styling point of view. I get that Toyota needed to make it look different from its BMW antecedent, but that should have been possible without all the gimmickry. Maybe somethin more like:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Well now your really talking Ferrari Roma as the consummate Euro GT that comes the closest to this picture. The older Supra was significantly larger and seemed a little more GT like. As for the new Supra I would not mind the scoops so much if they were actually "functional" At least with the BRZ Subaru must have had a hand with the front side scoops and behind the front wheels as well. They do actually serve a function and I respect that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well now your really talking Ferrari Roma as the consummate Euro GT that comes the closest to this picture. The older Supra was significantly larger and seemed a little more GT like. As for the new Supra I would not mind the scoops so much if they were actually "functional" At least with the BRZ Subaru must have had a hand with the front side scoops and behind the front wheels as well. They do actually serve a function and I respect that.
If a vent is actually moving air, it has a real purpose. There are a couple of odd details in the new car's styling that look like they actually have an aerodynamic effect. The front wheel well vents are definitely real and evacuating air from the wheel wells would have a couple of beneficial effects. Even the side sills look like they will actually be directing air to keep it from spilling underneath the car. I wish the execution of the rear of the sill was better, but you can't have everything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The build division appears to be 75% Subaru, 25% Toyota approximately. I have seen quit a bit of the new BRZ and find the styling pleasing. Therefore, I plan on cutting out the middle man (Toyota) and buy a BRZ. This will be like the second coming of the Datsun 240Z.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I'd prefer the 86 but more confirmed details needed.
Welcome to the forum @levingt8.
What details would you need to be confirmed to go with the 86?

The build division appears to be 75% Subaru, 25% Toyota approximately. I have seen quit a bit of the new BRZ and find the styling pleasing. Therefore, I plan on cutting out the middle man (Toyota) and buy a BRZ. This will be like the second coming of the Datsun 240Z.
Welcome to the forum @SonofZ.
Very true, the BRZ looks better to me as well, and even better that it usually costs $1000-1500 more over the 86.
Since you mentioned the 240Z, have you seen the Z35 concept?

·
Registered
313 Posts
See this is pure speculation. Other than just some pictures of the separate front end we have not seen a finished car for the new 86. We don't really know what the back looks like on the 86 either. I would agree that the current 2020 discontinued BRZ is better looking than 2020 discontinued 86. However until you see pictures of the new 2022 86 I would not choose one over the other just yet. As its been mentioned if there is still a $1,500 savings the new 86 it would certainly be worth considering.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, I have been following the development of the Nissan Z35 and I have 3 concerns;
Over weight
Over powered
Over priced
The retro styling looks promising and the manual transmission is defiantly a +. Just my $0.02 worth.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nah. Having been a car geek at the time, the 240Z was the combination of an earthquake, a tsunami, and a hurricane. It really landed in a market segment that didn't exist before Datsun made it. Its price competitors were rolling antiques like the Triumph TR-6 and MGB (ladder frames, repurposed OHV sedan engines, live axles) and its performance competition was cars like the Porsche 914-6 and the entry level 911, which were far more expensive.

Its offering of a flexible, powerful (for the time) engine with a sophisticated chassis and great gearbox (only competitor in a car I have driven is the S2000) at a really affordable price was unprecedented. And it hit in a marketplace where sports cars were still hot items. I think the 240Z's only rival for market importance would have been something like the original MG-TC, which introduced the whole idea of mass market sports car to the US.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.