Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I'm almost finished with my break-in period, and was planning on changing the engine oil + filter, and maybe the diff/trans fluid as well.
I went through the owners manual but couldn't find torque specs for the drain plugs, only the amount of fluid to replace. Does anyone know this information, or have a service manual they can share? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello everyone,
I'm almost finished with my break-in period, and was planning on changing the engine oil + filter, and maybe the diff/trans fluid as well.
I went through the owners manual but couldn't find torque specs for the drain plugs, only the amount of fluid to replace. Does anyone know this information, or have a service manual they can share? Thanks in advance!
Is the diff/trans fluid also necessary to replace after the break-in period? Asking out of general curiosity.

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,412 Posts
I use the grunt torque method. Using a standard size 1\4" drive ratchet tighten the drain plug until you let out a little grunt. But just a little one not a full size giving birth kind of grunt.

·
Registered
86 Posts
From the owners manual pg 382
with a filter 5.3 qt
without filter 5.1 qt

the only torque spec I've seen in the manual is for the wheels, I dont see the oil drain plug spec.

I would also like to know where I can find a service manual. I've done a few searches and seem to find nothing each time.
the only thing I've found is the owners manuals we already have: 2022 Toyota 86 Manuals & Warranties | Toyota Owners

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the diff/trans fluid also necessary to replace after the break-in period? Asking out of general curiosity.
I've read enough to know that there's always a group that says no, and a group that says yes.
For me personally, I don't mind spending a little bit for new fluid since I DIY at home, and gives me some peace of mind.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If it’s an aluminium crush washer combined with a M14 plug = 35-40 NM for the oil pan.
I believe its an M16 for the drain plug and the crush washers I was given were copper, not sure if they are the correct material though.

I just found this which is for the last generation, I'd imagine a lot of these should be the same for the the GR86.
DIY: 86 Tightening Torque Values - Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

In that thread is says the oil drain plug spec is 28.9 ft lb for the last generation of twins.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts