Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 BRZ, supercharged, headers, straight pipe, breaks, and a few more things I'm not even sure about in my car lol.

My question is, I need new tires. The way the car is set up it's extremely powerful and fast. I put 100 to 200 miles on it a day and I'm already needing new tires for my rear wheels. The trunk is also stripped so the tail is extremely light. I don't have to accelerate very much for me to feel a loss of control in my rear wheels.

That being said my car scares me allot in the rain lol. I've had a bad accident in the rain before in a similar car and I am not wanting to relive that experience with my new car! Even going 60 on the highway I sometimes can feel my tail end start to fishtail.

What im wanting are a good pair of tires for wet road conditions and also allot of grip and will last me a long time since I put so many miles on my car.

Any suggestions on a good pair? I only need rear tires and im willing to spend 400 but no more than 500$. Not sure what kind of tires that can get me but I've never spent allot on tires before. Usually I go with one of the cheapest options but for this car I want only the best!

Thank you

·
Registered
73 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is really good choice, especially for wet conditions. Good look and be careful. You’re story is one of the reasons I don’t want a supercharger in my BRZ. It gets more nose heavy and more power on the rear. Not a good combi for regular street driving in a rainy climate.

·
Registered
322 Posts
According to the Tire Rack for a 2019 BRX Premium.(Which means 17 inch wheels and tires). I plugged in "Summer Tires and what was the most important for me out of 5 stars-wet performance(4),Dry performance(5),treadwear(3), and price(4). The results were-Bridgestone Potenza Sport, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, Continental Extreme contact Sport. The Michelin had the highest scores.

·
Registered
‘22 CWP BRZ Ordered
72 Posts
According to the Tire Rack for a 2019 BRX Premium.(Which means 17 inch wheels and tires). I plugged in "Summer Tires and what was the most important for me out of 5 stars-wet performance(4),Dry performance(5),treadwear(3), and price(4). The results were-Bridgestone Potenza Sport, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, Continental Extreme contact Sport. The Michelin had the highest scores.
if I’m not mistaken, tire rack scores are mostly consumer-based and not empirically backed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2014 BRZ, supercharged, headers, straight pipe, breaks, and a few more things I'm not even sure about in my car lol.

My question is, I need new tires. The way the car is set up it's extremely powerful and fast. I put 100 to 200 miles on it a day and I'm already needing new tires for my rear wheels. The trunk is also stripped so the tail is extremely light. I don't have to accelerate very much for me to feel a loss of control in my rear wheels.

That being said my car scares me allot in the rain lol. I've had a bad accident in the rain before in a similar car and I am not wanting to relive that experience with my new car! Even going 60 on the highway I sometimes can feel my tail end start to fishtail.

What im wanting are a good pair of tires for wet road conditions and also allot of grip and will last me a long time since I put so many miles on my car.

Any suggestions on a good pair? I only need rear tires and im willing to spend 400 but no more than 500$. Not sure what kind of tires that can get me but I've never spent allot on tires before. Usually I go with one of the cheapest options but for this car I want only the best!

Thank you

Best tire comparison resource I've found to date. He does tons of comparisons in standardized conditions at different testing facilities.

TLDR is Michelin is very, very good at what they do.

·
Super Moderator
467 Posts
They are only 215 tires, if you are throwing supercharger power in them you might need to consider an upgrade in the tire width.

The primacies are fine in the wet, you just need more tire for your power, either that or don't accelerate as hard in the wet - its just physics, once you get a certain amount of power back there its easy to break traction in the wet on any car. High performance tires don't necessarily mean they will be better in the wet, as they are generally all about being strong in the dry.

Wider tires will always help you. (except with hydroplaning)

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you want a more stable rear put everything back that you striped out. From the factory the car has nearly a 50/50 balance
OR maybe move the battery to the trunk.
I was thinking about this and it looks like the mid point is just behind the steering wheel. That means if you add a driver at 150 pounds to the rear of the car then it is even closer to a 50/50 balance
Normally 53% 47%

2815 = 1491.95 + (1323.05 + 150)
2965 = 1491.95 + (1473.05)
Premium 50% 50%

2835 = 1502.55 + (1332.45 + 150)
2985 = 1502.55 + (1482.45)
Limited 50% 50%

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was thinking about this and it looks like the mid point is just behind the steering wheel. That means if you add a driver at 150 pounds to the rear of the car then it is even closer to a 50/50 balance
Normally 53% 47%

2815 = 1491.95 + (1323.05 + 150)
2965 = 1491.95 + (1473.05)
Premium 50% 50%

2835 = 1502.55 + (1332.45 + 150)
2985 = 1502.55 + (1482.45)
Limited 50% 50%
Somebody smart once said on a forum that the cheapest way to get the weight distribution more towards the rear (which I and almost everyone would like I presume) is to pull the wiper lever towards you for a good amount of time to empty the washer fluid.
According to your post this is not true: you should quit your subscription at the health club…
Thanks for the tip 👍🏻

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got a new BRZ coming in the next couple weeks, ordered in August. Was going to put all seasons on the OEM 18 inch rims. Was going to get Continental Ext Cont DPS 06+ in a 215/40 18. Any thoughts on 225/40 18 instead. Think they will work ok was just wondering if anyone had some ideas. Will get some aftermarket wheels for the summer tires in the spring. Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts