Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that I have put some miles on the car, Im curious if anyone else has the same feelings as me about the stock throttle mapping. What I notice is that the throttle is super sensitive initially and then basically dead past 50%. It took me a while to get my take offs and shifts smooth because the tiniest tap of the throttle sends the revs flying up. When I push the throttle about 5% it seems that the ECU tells the throttle to go like 30% open. Then on the flip side of that any pedal position between 50% and wide open basically feels the same to me. I know many manufacturers use this tuning method for underpowered, slow cars to make it seem like there is more punch than there really is. On a car like this it makes it hard to get smooth progressive throttle control. I really hope a tune makes this more linear. It feel like it has one of those goofy pedal commanders on it making the throttle hyperactive.
Anybody else....?

· Registered
2022 GR86 Base MT Halo White
237 Posts
I honestly think they mapped it that way to make the car feel more torque-y. A slightly bigger kick in the rear off the stop and then mellows out for a more linear delivery. Once the tunes and headers come out all will be right with the power curve / mapping. Generally these cars have the biggest gains in the mid range. I have no reason to believe it would be any different this time around just because of the extra .4 liters.

· Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully the tunes will make the throttle less aggressive and more linear. I dont remember that being a thing on the 1st gen cars. Maybe just because low end torque was non-existent. I do love the dynamics of the car for sure. I had it in my head I wasnt going to let this one turn into mods... mods... more mods. But I dont think exhaust and a tune will be enough to keep me content.

· Registered
2022 GR86 Base MT Halo White
237 Posts
I swore to myself to keep it basic; just mods that reduce weight, increase grip, reduce braking distance, and a pro tune.. we'll see what I'm feeling in a year. I honestly love the platform and don't want to regret going too far off the deep end just to do it.

· Registered
2022 Toyota GR 86, Pavement Grey, Premium, MT
626 Posts
Definitely 1st -3rd feels different on the throttle than 4-6. That being said I am going to leave mine alone the first year to see what options come out to make it more linear. It is still fun to drive as it is but could be better with the right tune and mods. It will be a great platform. I always looked at this car as a good starting point and a better starting point than the gen 1.

· Registered
2022 BRZ Limited WRB
506 Posts
I think the throttle mapping is one of the bigger differences between the GR86 and BRZ. The BRZ is supposed to be more linear and the GR86 ramps up quicker - it’ll be interesting to see if the aftermarket tuned (which inevitably will remove the rev hang too) give you the option.

· Registered
2022 Neptune Blue GR86 Base
18 Posts
I've been noticing that when I let off the pedal in the 86 it's a bit jerky. Could that be related to the programming. I'm pretty light-footed with the accelerator and don't really push that far when daily driving.

· Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These cars use the D4S injection system which use 4 low pressure injectors in the intake ports and 4 high pressure direct injectors. There are times the system will run with port only, DI only, both, or none of the injectors being used, especially during deceleration. Sometimes that transition is not very smooth and can be felt. I think that is what you are feeling.

· Registered
49 Posts
I don't know about N/A engine cars. The after market on turbo cars have been really big on performance throttle pedals.
However, these are usually to combat initial turbo lag that affects most small engine turbo cars. Further electronic throttles seem to be one prevalent way to help control fuel economy/emissions. Sometime car manufacturers seem to do a decent job with while others are terrible. I'd say Subaru/Toyota are about in the middle.

· Registered
381 Posts
Did anyone dribe the both cars side by side?

I have my car for 2 weeks now, and it annoys me. Its hard to drive not to fast. You just have to concentrate not to accelerate too fast.
Driving my 72PS Aygo is a real pleasure now.

Toyota should offer the BRZ mapping.

· Registered
14 Posts
I thought I was just getting old. This thing feels jerky and way to jumpy, 1st gear is like riding a wild stallion. It’s very annoying, why try to trick people into thinking it’s fast, it’s not, that’s why it dies out at higher gears and past 50% throttle like other say. It’s frustrating, it’s so hard to modulate.

· Registered
GR86 - Neptune Flavor
256 Posts
There is two modes to the throttle that I am away of

1. 0 - 40 is normal and then nothing, maybe more noise?
2. 0 - 40 is normal, unless you are in turn, at which point, anything beyond initial input is replaced with 150% input and you suddenly find yourself looking through side window going forward.

• Haha
Reactions: TRU-BOOST

· Registered
WRX, Sienna, GR86
43 Posts
I've been poking around the Ecutek discussions for this thing as I realize that will likely be the only solution for cleaning up the throttle map on these. Has anyone heard anything promising there?

I hate the idea of spending ~$1000 just for this. I feel no need for any other modification to how the car drives. Power is good with smooth delivery. Even the rev-hang, doesn't feel like there is any to me. Just this manic gas pedal.

· Registered
2022 Subaru BRZ MT
66 Posts
I've been poking around the Ecutek discussions for this thing as I realize that will likely be the only solution for cleaning up the throttle map on these. Has anyone heard anything promising there?

I hate the idea of spending ~$1000 just for this. I feel no need for any other modification to how the car drives. Power is good with smooth delivery. Even the rev-hang, doesn't feel like there is any to me. Just this manic gas pedal.
You don’t find rev hang to be that bad? Personally I feel like 1-2 sucks and I’m sitting on the clutch for a minute until I can let it out

· Registered
WRX, Sienna, GR86
43 Posts
You don’t find rev hang to be that bad? Personally I feel like 1-2 sucks and I’m sitting on the clutch for a minute until I can let it out
Full disclosure, I only drove my car last Sept and October until I stashed it away for winter. I had it out a few days ago, went around the block to give it some exercise when the roads were clean and dry. Only the weird throttle jumped out at me.

My WRX had absurd rev hang on its original tune. Subsequent factory tunes updated by the dealer via TSBs variably improved it but I was always annoyed by it and the touchy throttle. Finally doing a Cobb OTS stage 1 tune remedied both. The GR86's rev hang I guess is comparable to the tuned WRX. All of my trouble driving it smooth seems to come from the touchy throttle. I'll have to focus on it a little more in the spring to really put my finger on it. Anyhow I'd assume any sort of tune will also curtail rev-hang.

· Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I dont notice rev hang at all and I have owned more manual cars than I can count over the last 25 years. The 1-2 shift does require and additional second or so for the revs to fall but that is because that shift has the farthest spread in ratio change, not because there is any lag or hang. Most of the time its shifting technique to blame.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts