Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I briefly considered the new Civic Si, but local Honda dealers completely killed all enthusiasm I had for the car. Markups and not being allowed to test drive aside, getting text-bombed after an initial inquiry was a huge turnoff. These messages blew up my phone for a minute straight and likely only stopped because I blocked the number:
Terrestrial plant Font Screenshot Darkness Software

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't get the comparison here. One is a sports car, the other is a sporty sedan...
From 00:19 - 00:30 in the video:
"Two of the newest budget-friendly enthusiast cars. They're both manual, they both weigh in at under 3,000 lbs, and they start at pretty much the same price."

Sure, they sit at different points on the fun-practicality spectrum, but plenty of people would and do cross-shop them for the reasons above.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't get the comparison here. One is a sports car, the other is a sporty sedan...
True, but they're quite comparable in a number of ways, particularly if you aren't married to one use case vs the other.

I have a deposit on a GR86 and a Honda SI. I'll be going with the 86, but I cross shopped these for quite a while.

The SI is in even shorter supply than the 86/BRZ and Honda dealers are marking them up 3-10k where I'm located. Absurd.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My last 4 cars were Honda Civic Si's. They were great cars but the build quality has really decreased. No 2 door coupe. No heated seats. Cheap interior. Old engine with less horse power. Big as a old Accord. Maybe Honda should make a new Prelude or CRX. Something sporty under 40k CAD.

The new GR86 is better in every way ( except you can't use the back seats and the trunk is tiny).

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR86 Premium MT Black
80 Posts
My last 4 cars were Honda Civic Si's. They were great cars but the build quality has really decreased. No 2 door coupe. No heated seats. Cheap interior. Big as a old Accord. Maybe Honda should make a new Prelude or CRX. Something sporty under 40k CAD.

The new GR86 is better in every way ( except you can't use the back seats and the trunk is tiny).
Even though the trunk is tiny, I still love rolling up to a grocery store in it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Were the GR86 not available, the Si would have been on my short list. With the Maverick having such a long waiting list and AWD not available with the hybrid, the Si might have been the only thing on the list, disappointing as it is (as I've usually found them to be) and with too small an engine for its size that I wouldn't have much faith in. Interior aside, seeing these drag races, it would have been a massive downgrade from my ST in performance and practicality.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Were the GR86 not available, the Si would have been on my short list. With the Maverick having such a long waiting list and AWD not available with the hybrid, the Si might have been the only thing on the list, disappointing as it is (as I've usually found them to be) and with too small an engine for its size that I wouldn't have much faith in. Interior aside, seeing these drag races, it would have been a massive downgrade from my ST in performance and practicality.
A Maverick? I guess I stand corrected. I didn't realize people's short lists are that all over the place :LOL:

·
Registered
339 Posts
A Maverick? I guess I stand corrected. I didn't realize people's short lists are that all over the place :LOL:
I thought I'd be stuck with no fun option and the Maverick is cheap and practical with the ability to tow my boat (if I ever get the chance to build it). I won't buy VW or Hyundai, so the Si was the only possible acceptable car of some entertainment value and even that has just come out (can't stand the last body style). Thankfully, the GR was introduced and fixed what turned me off the first gen.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I briefly considered the new Civic Si, but local Honda dealers completely killed all enthusiasm I had for the car. Markups and not being allowed to test drive aside, getting text-bombed after an initial inquiry was a huge turnoff. These messages blew up my phone for a minute straight and likely only stopped because I blocked the number: View attachment 8272
That’s awful. F that place

·
Registered
499 Posts
I don't like the look of the SI. The hatchback is far prettier. If the BRZ had fallen through I would have waited for an A Spec Integra. I actually think the Integra is a prettier car then even the Honda Hatchback. In terms of performance the 86 is faster but not by leaps and bounds. I just wanted a RWD sportscar having had FWD hatchbacks since 2006. However, I would have made an exception for the Integra as I think it has a great chassis. The Elantra N is quicker and probably quicker than the GR86. However, it's just plain ugly and I will no longer allow myself to by a car I don't find attractive regardless of performance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The integra seems great though the decision to make the manual only available on the top tier trim is tough. I’d imagine it’s to further differentiate it in the market from the Si. I’m very curious to see the Integra type S.

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR86 Premium 6MT Raven Black, 2003 VW GTI VR6 6MT Reflex Silver
22 Posts
I'm really shocked to hear that people actually like the styling of the new Integra. Bringing it back from the dead looking like a Honda Accord Crosstour with a Genesis coupe rear end. Not a good look in my opinion.

I am not shocked about the Maverick, I personally wouldn't cross-shop the two, rather, in addition to. AWD with a turbo ecoboost pushing 250hp, I will have one someday sitting next to the GR. Also if you haven't seen it check out the SEMA build by Tucci Hotrods...yes please! If I didn't want the GR more I would have gotten the Maverick first.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm shocked that people want the Integra to look just like it did over 20 years ago. The Integra is part of the Acura corporate line up. Styling evolves like anything else. Further the Integra has always been based on the Honda Civic. Therefore, in order to keep its price in the affordable range, Acura is limited in its options. If they decided to go with a 2DR coupe today it would not only be too expensive, but it would also not sell in the numbers necessary for profitability for a FWD vehicle. That point is laid bare by the fact that no car company selling cars in the US is offering a 2DR fastback coupe. I personally think the Integra is better looking than the Honda Civic hatch. The front end is very rounded and looks way better than the awkward styling of the Civic. As for the Maverick, it looks to be a very good value if you need a pickup truck. I would never personally own a truck unless I was hauling things on a regular basis. Just owning one as a regular personal vehicle I have never quite understood. Trucks are big, take up a lot of space and don't ride as well as a sedan and even some sports cars. Further they typically don't handle as well either compared to hot hatch or a sportscar or sports sedan. Fuel economy is usually worse as well. It is a good thing that we now have the Maverick and the Hyundai Santa Cruz. They at least offer a price that is in the realm of affordability. Most trucks now on the market start north of 30K completely stripped out. Then if you get into a full-size truck and you load it up with options you are paying north of 55K. Large trucks take up too much room on the road and in parking lots. Unless it is vital for one's business of hauling things or traveling with equipment or supplies to job sites, trucks should be limited to the rental market only and then only when needed. They should not be allowed as a personal vehicle. My opinion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts