1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw this come up when I was doing my daily 2022 BRZ search for news
Someone trying to sell their spot for a new BRZ for cash
2022 Subaru BRZ Sport-tech in Silver - cars & trucks - by owner

Considering we can't even get a semi realistic eta for our pre-orders I am kind of happy that Subaru Australia is strict with dealers here and if the person that ordered a car decides they don't want it, it has to go to the next person on Subaru Australia's order list, not the dealer's.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm tolerant of this...if someone is silly enough to a) not place their own pre-order and b) pay somebody CDN $2000 for a spot in line, they either have stupid money and don't care, or they are stupid...and you can't fix stupid. It's a victimless "crime" at worst.

I don't know how it is in Canada, but in the US the deposit for a pre-order isn't a binding contract with the dealer. You can change your mind and the dealer will refund the USD $1000 pre-order deposit. I could see that a dealer might also renege on the pre-order, refund your $1000 deposit, and sell "your" car to the highest bidder.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm tolerant of this...if someone is silly enough to a) not place their own pre-order and b) pay somebody CDN $2000 for a spot in line, they either have stupid money and don't care, or they are stupid...and you can't fix stupid. It's a victimless "crime" at worst.

I don't know how it is in Canada, but in the US the deposit for a pre-order isn't a binding contract with the dealer. You can change your mind and the dealer will refund the USD $1000 pre-order deposit. I could see that a dealer might also renege on the pre-order, refund your $1000 deposit, and sell "your" car to the highest bidder.
Here in Australia the order is usually subject to finance approval or test drive if a vehicle the dealer can't show you before delivery, but the order is not transferable nor should it be.
If you don't or can't proceed, then you lose your spot in the queue.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Here in Australia the order is usually subject to finance approval or test drive if a vehicle the dealer can't show you before delivery, but the order is not transferable nor should it be.
If you don't or can't proceed, then you lose your spot in the queue.
I see. Sounds like it is a loose contract, which can be broken by non-performance by the buyer.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see. Sounds like it is a loose contract, which can be broken by non-performance by the buyer.
Not really. Takes into account that whilst someone might qualify for finance at the time of ordering, if the dealer cannot supply the vehicle, the buyer may not qualify for finance at the time it eventually arrives and that is due to the delay which is not the fault of the buyer.
The test drive part is case by case and between the dealer and buyer.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Not really. Takes into account that whilst someone might qualify for finance at the time of ordering, if the dealer cannot supply the vehicle, the buyer may not qualify for finance at the time it eventually arrives and that is due to the delay which is not the fault of the buyer.
The test drive part is case by case and between the dealer and buyer.
I was thrown off by "If you don't or can't proceed, then you lose your spot in the queue", as it sounded like the buyer is at liberty to terminate their commitment for convenience rather than for cause.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thrown off by "If you don't or can't proceed, then you lose your spot in the queue", as it sounded like the buyer is at liberty to terminate their commitment for convenience rather than for cause.
I think Subaru Australia is actually allowing people to simply back out which to me is wrong. To me you either make a commitment or you don't. I assume they have taken that approach due to it being a new unseen car that they can't offer a test drive of. To me, if you can't make the commitment then don't pre-order it.
Finance falling through due to time, is acceptable as that is out of the buyer's control when they can't even provide a delivery date.

·
Registered
Awaiting a 2022 GR86 premium in Trueno blue
56 Posts
Hah, this fellow is local to me,
AFAIK, all deposits at dealers are refundable as there are tons of people waiting and they'd just give the car to the next guy in line.

Not sure if you'd be able to transfer your spot to someone else, maybe it's up to the dealer..

Not something I asked about as I have no intention of doing such, I just want my car!

·
Registered
GR86, RAV4, NX 200t
34 Posts
Just trying to make a quick buck haha. He could pass it on the someone else with charging them. All deposits in Canada are refundable prior to approval of financing or sale documents.

That reminds me I need to call my rep and see if they my VIN yet.

·
Registered
Awaiting a 2022 GR86 premium in Trueno blue
56 Posts
I've been told my wait is going to be like 4 months
The agony....
I guess upside is winter should be over by the time I get it hahaha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts