Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This article is about the magnesium shortage that is due to hit by the end of the year affecting the world's ability to make aluminum. It's far beyond just a chip shortage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This article is about the magnesium shortage that is due to hit by the end of the year affecting the world's ability to make aluminum. It's far beyond just a chip shortage.
My understanding is most of the car's alluminum parts have already been built and the delay on the 86 has been chip related. So in theory it shouldn't effect the 86, but if it effects other 2022 cars it may effect the pricing on well everything...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I hope you're right. I have to believe that they have a ton of body panels, etc. ready and waiting. Fingers crossed.
To be clear, I have absolutely no real knowledge on whether or not they do have these parts complete. Just what I've seen on other threads seemed to indicate that. So my comment was based more on hope than fact.

·
Registered
‘22 CWP BRZ Ordered
72 Posts
Damn, well I just am happy the 86/BRZ is quite simple in terms of chips and materials compared to many other cars.

As long as major pieces are there I think the supply may last decently into 2022. Who knows after that though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It just depends on how last minute their Just In Time process is for parts I suppose. I wish there was some sort of word from Toyota in the midst of all this uncertainty.

·
Registered
705 Posts
@Atanyrhate do you think Toyota/Subaru will require dealers to install the chips if it really comes down to that? Ford did that with the new F-150 and it seems to ease any financial concerns but owners are concerned how good those installs were.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have no idea. My dealer here still has no info from Toyota yet. I'm trying to not think about it until like December, but it's very difficult. I like your avatar btw!
I can help but think how Toyota will model what other like Ford have been doing.
If things don't play out as well as you'd hope, are you going to hold out till later on? (I might)

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah originally I was planning on trying to get one as soon as humanly possible, but I've been thinking about waiting until the first quarter of next year. I do want to see how this plays out first. Now let's see if I can have the discipline...

·
Registered
‘22 CWP BRZ Ordered
72 Posts
@Atanyrhate do you think Toyota/Subaru will require dealers to install the chips if it really comes down to that? Ford did that with the new F-150 and it seems to ease any financial concerns but owners are concerned how good those installs were.
Im a little doubtful of that. The Ford chips were I believe seat related or something. The BRZ is about as simple as a new car can get and probably doesn’t have many chips that could go uninstalled.

·
Super Moderator
467 Posts
Yeah originally I was planning on trying to get one as soon as humanly possible, but I've been thinking about waiting until the first quarter of next year. I do want to see how this plays out first. Now let's see if I can have the discipline...
The only worry I would have about leaving it is a price hike.

I mean that's how markets will work with supply issues, and as its been widely known car makers have been already prioritising the high end cars with the most margin, if they want to sell the low end the base prices will go up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts