Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yes-That has been spoken about for some time about the Miata rolling. This really a Mazda engineer philosophical approach to the average sports car driver. From their perspective the built in body roll is a tool to be used by the average driver to explore the handling limits of the car and how far a driver will push it. The ND Miata has always had this trait. A lot of people disagree with this approach but Mazda feels its the correct approach. Even the original BRZ was a much flatter cornering car than the Miata. The general opinion is that a "stock" Miata is a better back road car than a track car. The problem is that if you go with an RF(assuming you don't like a full blown convertible), even in Club spec you can easily approach 40K with average options. Granted the interior quality is a step above even the 2022 BRZ/86 and in acceleration right off the line the featherweight Miata might initially jump out a half a car length ahead of a BRZ/GR86.
However, the Miata is always going to relegated as a 2nd car due to its size and interior room. Further as Matt and Kristen have demonstrated the BRZ/GR86 is not only a decent track car it is a very good back roads car as well. And one thing I will say about the interior engine noise. Whether or not its completely fake or not it still sounds better than the original car to me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really good stuff Matt and Kristen on this drive. One thing that stood out to me was when they mentioned that the Miata rolls more in the corners than the BRZ.
I had an MX-5 right after my MY15 86 and I only kept it 10 months as it just didn't feel anywhere near as safe and solid as the 86. It wasn't what I expected. I definitely agree with the body roll. Mind you, I went to a Mustang after the MX-5 and F me dead... that thing was nowhere near as good as the 86 regarding handling. The 86 spoilt me for life, hence why going to the BRZ now that they finally got the 2nd generation sorted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts