Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least that's what some automotive publications agree on. Toyota also has a 4-cylinder Supra that needs to maintain some distance from the new 86.

"Japan's Best Car and domestic MotorTrend both agree that the upcoming sports car will utilize said crossover's 2.4-liter, all-aluminum flat-four, though they argue over its anticipated aspiration. The former claims no turbo, and an approximate power output of 217 horsepower and 177 pound-feet of torque. Meanwhile, the latter says aye to boost and claims an Ascent-paralleling 260 horse and 277 pound-feet."

Down that road as base version of the Supra get hotter so might the 86.

So we might not see the turbo version initially.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree I dont think we will ever see a factory turboed 86 anytime soon especially now that they have the four cylinder supra. I always liked the idea of them doing what Chevy did with the Cobalt SS.
Offer the base sport, then offer the more expensive SS options that came either turboed or supercharged. I had a supercharged 06 cobalt and loved the car, the only issue was it pushed its power to the wrong wheels lol.
But now I think we'll never get the factory option due to the fact that it would completely undermine the Supra 2.0

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We will not see a turbo 86. Trust me.
Its what I figured.

Toyota can get away with reducing the overall weight a bit, up power output by 15-20 hp/torque, improve suspension, etc. A good example is the Miata/MX-5. Mazda never did anything special to it over the years aside from recently adding the RF version.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts