Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, being more interested in the premium model due to it having exactly what I need/want and isnt missing anything important led me to do a little research into the stock Michelin Primacy tires that come on the 17" rims that the Premium model come with. Long story short: These Primacys are apparently NOT that good at all - even in dry, ideal conditions for a summer tire. That kind of sucks. I realize I can swap them out but thats a $1,000 or close to it. hate to feel like you have to change tires right off the showroom floor though. With so many choices, I wonder why Subie picked these out? Sort of frustrating, IMO.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I mean they'll be good enough, definitely will be a little more tail happy than the limited w/ the pilot sports

If you really want good ideal summer tires you should be thinking about upgrading tires anyway, I ordered a limited but I'm still swapping wheels/tires with meatier ones after the winter is over. I usually get indy 500's which is one of the best bangs for your buck imo

·
Registered
115 Posts
So, being more interested in the premium model due to it having exactly what I need/want and isnt missing anything important led me to do a little research into the stock Michelin Primacy tires that come on the 17" rims that the Premium model come with. Long story short: These Primacys are apparently NOT that good at all - even in dry, ideal conditions for a summer tire. That kind of sucks. I realize I can swap them out but thats a $1,000 or close to it. hate to feel like you have to change tires right off the showroom floor though. With so many choices, I wonder why Subie picked these out? Sort of frustrating, IMO.
Break in the engine for 1000 miles then burn rubber and rotate tires and burn rubber again. Then buy what you want in a month or two. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Break in the engine for 1000 miles then burn rubber and rotate tires and burn rubber again. Then buy what you want in a month or two. :)
Maybe not a bad idea! LOL. Its not the end of the world but they could have went with so many other better choices for the Premium that cost even less. Thats the funny thing. Its a high-cost tire!

·
Registered
9 Posts
It depends on what u want. I am an owner of last-gen 86. Personally, I prefer the Primacies over PS4. I want the rear end to rotate and would like to slide around when it's safe to do so. If you want to go to the track and have some serious lap times, just get another set of tire-wheel packages and put on some extreme performance tires like the RE71R.

·
Super Moderator
467 Posts
It depends, unless your pushing it a lot then they are great - extreme tread life as well. But if you want performance then you need a performance tire.

Some reviewers prefer that tire even on track, just for the fun of balancing the rear being a lot more engaging (but of course lower lap times).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It depends, unless your pushing it a lot then they are great - extreme tread life as well. But if you want performance then you need a performance tire.

Some reviewers prefer that tire even on track, just for the fun of balancing the rear being a lot more engaging (but of course lower lap times).
Im sure for track days(I’m only about an hour or so from Watkins Glen and have done many events there) that I’d have a set of track wheels and tires anyways. That’s the right way to do it. :). I just found a good number of reviews about the Primacies that weren’t very good so I got a little nervous.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Well the Primacy's were put on version one to induce oversteer as the FA20 engine was not powerful enough to do so. The FA24 does have the power and torque now so I assume the Primacy's are on the premium BRZ and the base GR86 to offer a lower price. If I get the Premium(which according to Subaru still has the heated seats), you just swap them out for performance or summer performance tires. Your still ahead on cost over the Limited and you get back the grip lost.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The Primacy HP (very important detail, there are many Primacy tires) is a very good tire IMO. It is very predictable at the limit and has long thread life. Just don't expect PS4 levels of grip. For a DD it's a fantastic tire.

·
Registered
322 Posts
On the Subaru of America web site it clearly states that on the BRZ (under interior),there are heated seats for both Premium and Limited. You can see for yourself. I don't know about the GR86.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Correction! Up until yesterday when I checked under "build vehicle" the premium had heated seats. Today I just checked and the Premium no longer offers heated seats. So this was obviously an error that has been corrected by Subaru. Frankly it makes sense. You cannot get away with charging $2500 more for just wheels and tires. I was considering the Premium as in the past it still said it came with heated seats. However, now I'm going for the Lmited. As this will be a daily driver there is no reason not to be comfortable when it gets cold out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It's wrong. There are a whole bunch of wrong things on that part of the site. Well documented that the heated seats are not on the lesser models of either brand.

If you download the BRZ brochure it is correct. Sorry.

The stereo is also upgraded to 8 speakers instead of 6 on the premium. And the premium does not have an amp.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Too bad because with originally the supposed heated seats ,the Premium model was looking like a much better value than the Limited. But again the Limited has to be able to justify its price point more than just wheels and tires. The Premium, however, is still a very good value. If you can live without heated seats all you really need to do is order from the Tire Rack the 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport 4S(which I double checked are available)for about a thousand bucks and you have all the grip of the Limited model.

·
Registered
322 Posts
LanceLane174. If you go to the TireRack.com and shop tires. For vehicle put in 2019 BRZ. For model put in Premium. then go up to tire decision and click on it. It will then ask you questions if you want winter, all season or summer tire. I picked summer. Then it asks what categories are the most important to you with a max 5 star rating of importance. I indicated 5 tires for Wet Road Handling, Dry Road Handling, 3 stars for Longevity and 3 stars for price. It then gave me the results. The tire they recommended was the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. See for your self.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts