Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you care that the manual GR 86 doesn't have any of the active safety features listed below?

"But one thing that’s stuck out to me since driving the car last week is that Toyota omits a group of active safety features for those who do go go for three pedals. Now, the manual is technically the standard transmission, so I suppose you could look at it from the perspective that these features are bundled with the automatic. (The auto was a $700 optional extra for the old 86, though Toyota hasn’t said if or how much more an auto will be for this new one.)

These are the features MT models miss:

• Pre-collision braking
  • Adaptive cruise control
  • Pre-collision throttle management
  • Lane departure warning
  • Sway warning
  • Lead vehicle start assist
  • High beam assist
Now, the first three — particularly adaptive cruise control — seem either pointless or technically challenging to do in conjunction with a stick. I won’t begrudge Toyota for that. Or, more appropriately Subaru, since both the GR 86 and BRZ use Subaru’s EyeSight 3 suite.

The rest of the list isn’t really powertrain-related, so I’ve been wondering why manual customers are getting the shaft (heh) regarding their inclusion. I reached out to Toyota’s PR team for a bit of insight, and I was pretty much told to go ask Subaru:

You are correct that these active safety features aren’t available on the MT version of the car. I’ll have to defer to Subaru on the development of the system and if certain features could be offered that work with a Manual Transmission, for your reference the car uses Subaru EyeSight Version 3. I will add that active safety offerings like these are an important aspect of our products, so we’re continuing to monitor customer feedback for their needs in future model years.
So I have asked Subaru, and will update this with whatever response I get. Of course, I don’t think for a minute that anyone desiring a manual would care so much to lose high beam assist that they’d rather spring for the auto. Hell, they’d probably pay these companies to delete lane departure warning if they could.

But I imagine there are manual buyers out there who might rather have some of these features than not. That they’re missing from cars with the standard transmission — even with the Premium package equipped, with the nice Alcantara seats, rear cross-traffic alert and so on — is weird to me.

It’s especially weird because manufacturers have made a big deal about expanding a base suite of safety-related functions across their entire lineup. For example, every Nissan Versa comes with lane departure warning, high beam assist and automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection. That’s a subcompact that starts under $15,000; the GR 86 is a sports car that costs almost twice that. I understand the type of buyers Toyota and Subaru are courting here likely won’t shed a tear over losing that stuff, but the GR 86 is nevertheless a member of a broader range that universally has these things.

Anyway, that is all. The GR 86 is still a really cool car! It’s just odd that the manual lacks safety features that have nothing to do with the transmission." ~
Source

·
Registered
2023 Toyota GR ハチロク
291 Posts
My current car (2001 Acura EL) doesn't have those features either. lol. I don't see why it's a problem. People too dependent on these extra car safety systems these days. They're nice to have but you should still be driving like you don't have those extra features and still be as safe.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My current car (2001 Acura EL) doesn't have those features either. lol. I don't see why it's a problem. People too dependent on these extra car safety systems these days. They're nice to have but you should still be driving like you don't have those extra features and still be as safe.
I totally agree.
Hopefully it won't be an excuse for insurance companies to charge us a bit more.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Some people need it though. Lmao. There’s a lot of people who can’t drive as well as they think they do

·
Registered
23 Posts
My Mexican spec MX-5 literally only has stability control lol (and ABS and airbags obvs). I don't mind about any of those features and I would rather save and not pay for them.

·
Registered
322 Posts
To answer the original question. No I don't care that the manual is missing a lot of the safety dudads on it.
In my opinion and (I stress my opinion only), These types of safety systems are best served on larger SUV's and CUV's. My reasoning-They are larger, they take up a lot of the road width, they are more challenging to park in tight spaces and sometimes normal spaces, due to styling concerns in many cases you have an impeded "greenhouse view" making it difficult to see out of. In addition because you are sitting higher up your field if vision is compromised when lower height vehicles are close behind you and along side of you. Finally now matter how well engineered they are unless you are getting one with a sporting firmer suspension or have the money to afford a highend luxury sport SUV like Porsche, BMW, Mercedes your average one of these vehicles suffer from a higher center of gravity. So any type of stability system, awd etc. is beneficial to these type of vehicles. Without all these systems the average person who drives these vehicles would have their safety compromised. With a much smaller vehicle that has a low center of gravity, excellent visability, you simply do not need to waste your money on these things. In addition to being an excellent handler with fast acting steering, you the driver can use all your senses to help you navigate around in traffic and on the highway. That's why the base car in a manual transmission is so appealing and the best value to have.

·
Registered
'14 BMW M235i (Previously '13 GT86, '09 Audi S4)
9 Posts
I'm glad the manual has none of this. My current car has all that stuff and causes more trouble than it solves. The lane departure warning and blindspot monitoring is very distracting, The emergency braking has nearly caused 2 accidents where it has picked up parked cars and stopped dead in the middle of the road. The system also goes nuts and I get a bunch of errors when the sun is low in the sky and/or its raining. Radar cruise is nice if you do a lot of highway driving. Im not sure if its just BMWs implementation that sucks, but thats all I have experienced.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Impreza Wagon CVT :(
23 Posts
It seems that I may be in the minority when I say that I'm actually disappointed that the MT versions of the GRZ will not come with these industry standard safety features. They are one of the reasons why the Veloster N is still on my list. The 2021+ Veloster N's come with most of that safety package despite having a manual. These systems really don't add much weight. A couple grams per sensor and the rest is computer code. There is absolutely no reason why Lane Departure Warning, Lead Vehicle Start Assist, High Beam Assist, and Pre-Collision Braking couldn't be used on a manual. PCB may stall your car if you don't press the clutch in time and the revs drop low enough, but I'd rather stall out than hit the car in front.

Any enthusiast can say, "Oh, well I don't needs those systems because I'm a good driver." I can tell you now anyone who says that isn't as good as they think. People make mistakes. It probably isn't you 99% of the time, but another driver. These systems help you from being hit by them. And if it saves you from being an idiot for that other 1%, then it's worth whatever inconveniences it has. I'm still going to preorder a GR86 as soon as I can, but I'm disappointed in Toyota and Subaru for not engineering a way to include these features on the manual version.

I have 5 years of experience with Subaru's EyeSight system in my Impreza, so if anyone has any questions on how it works, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I applaud Toyota for realising that most people who are really into driving (and are die hard manual fans) don't want the car nagging them or making its own decisions. I want to be the one that decides when to dip my headlights or what danger I'm in without getting distracted by bleeps etc.
I only feel sorry for those that have to drive an auto due to a disability and don't want that stuff. Overall I think Toyota have got it spot on though.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Like the Supra which only comes in an automatic and is more expensive than the an 86/BRZ, the automatic version
has these safety features. If an individual feels these features are important they can always buy the automatic version of these cars. With the extra power and recalibration of the automatic the performance is not that far off the manual in the new cars. The manual is the cheaper version and the simpler version. it could very well be that the automatic version outsells the manual version now with the extra power. So it makes sense from a profitability standpoint to include them in the automatic version. The resale on the auto may be better than the manual down the road. I think that's where Toyota and Subaru are going with the new cars. Now that both cars have the torque dip resolved as well as lower down torque these cars are a lot more usable. Certainly it is easier to make a case for the automatic now where version one was a stretch.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Like the Supra which only comes in an automatic and is more expensive than the an 86/BRZ, the automatic version
has these safety features. If an individual feels these features are important they can always buy the automatic version of these cars. With the extra power and recalibration of the automatic the performance is not that far off the manual in the new cars. The manual is the cheaper version and the simpler version. it could very well be that the automatic version outsells the manual version now with the extra power. So it makes sense from a profitability standpoint to include them in the automatic version. The resale on the auto may be better than the manual down the road. I think that's where Toyota and Subaru are going with the new cars. Now that both cars have the torque dip resolved as well as lower down torque these cars are a lot more usable. Certainly it is easier to make a case for the automatic now where version one was a stretch.
I’ve never had those features before. You make good points. If I buy the GR86 instead of the Supra, I’m going for the manual. Its more engaging to me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good point.
Not an issue in Europe though, those safety features will come standard in the premium MT version, I reckon (looking at the GT86 2013 standard premium version we got at the time). Also the regulations are stricter here obliging manufacturers to comply with essential safety road requirements.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts