Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am 6'1 and I ordered the 2022 BRZ in Australia (preorder with testdrive as one of the conditions). And, my dealer still confident it will be here in December

I did drive my friends' 86 occasionally for the last 5 years (short trips, <50km) and I have enjoyed the drive. Getting in and out the car is a problem 馃槶. I wish I can be more flexible and I can be younger.

For the last one week, I was able to borrow my friend's 86 and did a 250km in total. And, somehow, it caused my lower back to be injured again ( i had the torn ligament 2 months ago and i have recovered and have been playing sport for the last 1 month).

For those who have owned the gen 1 brz/86 and above 6 feet, what is your experience with the long drive? or, was it just because I have a weak back.

I will wait for the test drive with gen 2, but it made me thinking whether i should go with the order or not.

Registered
I'm 6' but I'm all torso, I have the torso of a 6'3" person. L4/L5 intervertebral disk causes me issues every few months so I have to watch my posture. This made me discover I've always slouched too much to fit in most of my cars (mostly BMW 3 series).

I almost sold my ZC6 BRZ when my back injury got worse, but I was able to make it work. I installed an inflatable lumbar support made for corbeau seats which helped so much:

As far as headroom is concerned, this car is better than anything else in its class. I get 1-2 fingers worth of headroom when I sit up straight, which is more than I've ever gotten from any Miata/RX8/S2000

Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
Hello, I am 6'1 and I ordered the 2022 BRZ in Australia (preorder with testdrive as one of the conditions). And, my dealer still confident it will be here in December

I did drive my friends' 86 occasionally for the last 5 years (short trips, <50km) and I have enjoyed the drive. Getting in and out the car is a problem 馃槶. I wish I can be more flexible and I can be younger.

For the last one week, I was able to borrow my friend's 86 and did a 250km in total. And, somehow, it caused my lower back to be injured again ( i had the torn ligament 2 months ago and i have recovered and have been playing sport for the last 1 month).

For those who have owned the gen 1 brz/86 and above 6 feet, what is your experience with the long drive? or, was it just because I have a weak back.

I will wait for the test drive with gen 2, but it made me thinking whether i should go with the order or not.
The seats are supportive and comfortable as these things go, particularly for aggressive driving as they hold you in your seat. BUT I think you will be best served by adding additional lumbar support exactly where you need it - I'd actually recommend that you do it for any car you decide to buy, it might make things less comfortable at first because it will force a posture on your which might be odd, but within a couple of weeks you will be comfortable and will be feeling a shit ton better that your not triggering your back issues.

Registered
I'm only 5'10" but I have had back pain for over 40 years from a motorcycle accident. I always found the seats in the 86 I owned, very comfortable and if anything the way they supported my back made it a pleasure instead of pain.

Registered
22 BRZ
Along with the lumbar support mentioned id also highly recommend doing yoga/stretching and core workouts for the backpain. That along with correcting posture has worked wonders for me over the last 9 years or so. I was working on cars in my early 20s and saw plenty of older guys barely able to move, one as young as 32 having back surgery, so I was doing everything i could to prevent it. Take care of your body, you only get one.

Registered
2007 Honda Civic Si + 2022 BRZ
Might not be an ideal option for most, but I have always changed out the driver's seats in my cars. I'm 6'5" and at times have had back issues (tend to be short term and related to tightness of my hamstrings if not stretching). I actually find a fixed bucket seat to be best for my back and posture. Add in the much lower seating position offered by some of them, it also allows me to fit a helmet which is a necessity. But even many reclinable aftermarket seats will sit lower than OEM. Which then allows a more upright seating position and often allows you to sit a little closer and not have to fully extend your arms to reach the steering wheel which encourages bad posture.

Just a thought!

Registered
Along with the lumbar support mentioned id also highly recommend doing yoga/stretching and core workouts for the backpain. That along with correcting posture has worked wonders for me over the last 9 years or so. I was working on cars in my early 20s and saw plenty of older guys barely able to move, one as young as 32 having back surgery, so I was doing everything i could to prevent it. Take care of your body, you only get one.
100% this.

I have suffered from back pain most of my adult life - ended up having major back surgery in 2018. When I got to Physical Therapy post-op, the guy asks me - what's your goal... my answer - get back in my car and on the track. Lumbar pillows help on long drives.... there's no escaping the math that as your age gets higher, getting in and out of low cars is a slow process.... and NOTHING helped me more than doing basic core strengthening and stretching.

Registered
I'm 6' but I'm all torso, I have the torso of a 6'3" person. L4/L5 intervertebral disk causes me issues every few months so I have to watch my posture. This made me discover I've always slouched too much to fit in most of my cars (mostly BMW 3 series).

I almost sold my ZC6 BRZ when my back injury got worse, but I was able to make it work. I installed an inflatable lumbar support made for corbeau seats which helped so much:

As far as headroom is concerned, this car is better than anything else in its class. I get 1-2 fingers worth of headroom when I sit up straight, which is more than I've ever gotten from any Miata/RX8/S2000
Link to the inflatable lumar support?

Registered
2022 GR86 Track Bred Premium MT
I have a herniated disc in my back. Tried everything imaginable including taking a lot of Vicodin. Had to give up my 2001MR2. The only thing that helped was regular acupuncture treatments. Have been mostly pain free for the last 10 years. It may be covered by your health insurance.

Registered
鈥22 GR86
My husband is ~6鈥2 and ~220 pounds and he fits in my 86 with headroom. He does need to have the seat all the way back and there isn鈥檛 any extra room for him to stretch out his legs. He says the seat is comfortable and he doesn鈥檛 feel too large for it. What really bothers him is getting in and out. His back is mostly okay, but his knees don鈥檛 love the combination of the ride and then trying to get out, haha. He says it just makes his knees/legs feel very stiff. He hasn鈥檛 driven it, so I鈥檓 not sure if that would be even worse. I definitely don鈥檛 think he would love to have it as a daily driver. I am ~5鈥2 and 95 pounds and feel like it鈥檚 the perfect size, haha.

Registered
I'm 6'2" and have plenty of leg and head room. I think I have the seat on the 2nd to last notch, rear-ward. I haven't had any particular issues getting in and out, provided there is enough space to open the door to a decent amount. I haven't had any back pain issues with the seat, but I haven't been on any drives longer than an hour.

Registered
I'm 5'5" so I can't provide direct empathy, only moral support. It's annoying when your body type makes it an issue to fully enjoy a vehicle. I'm also a motorcyclist and there are whole classes of motorcycles I can't even consider.

Is it possible that the pain / flare-up is not the seat per se but rather the strain of the gymnastics required for ingress and egress?

Registered
You know it is an interesting phenomena. In the 1940's and 1950's the height of cars in general were pretty high. That also applied to seating position. Sure there were exceptions but by in large this was the case. Sports cars from Europe were lower but not exceptionally low. Early Porsche's(356's) were on average 52 inches to 53 inches high. Today of course some restored and replica's have gone the drop spindle route so they sit low. I remember my fathers 1966 911. It was a little over 52 inches high. It had a higher step in then this current BRZ. But American cars and American sports cars in the 60's were low.
Corvettes were always less than 50 inches high. Even some large sedans and coupes were only 53 inches high. When I was in my late 20's I got the privilege of driving a Ferrari Dino 246. Now that was a low car. Your average sedan in the late 60's and early 70's was anywhere from 55 to 57 inches high.Then in the 80's things changed. cars started getting taller again. Mustangs that were once 52 inches high crept up to 54 and 55 inches. I assume this may have started with bumper height restrictions but later were influenced by SUV's and then Crossovers. Of course sedans and coupes started to grow in height. Most sports cars from the 70's and 80's from England and Germany were 48 to 52 inches high. However I do not recall their seating positions quite as low as the current BRZ. Consequently not all had the best of head room. Taller drivers would need to slant their seats back at an angle so they could sit in the car.I borrowed a Porsche 944 for a couple of months. that car was only 50 inches high. The seat step in was still slightly higher than this BRZ but not by much. I owned a mid 90's Acura Integra that was a little taller and had a taller seat. I owned an Alfa GTV6. That car was 52.5 inches tall and definitely had a taller step in seat than this BRZ. My RX8 was a taller vehicle as well. After that was a Mini Cooper at 55 inches tall and a Fiat 500 Abarth at 58.5 inches tall. Although I'm 5'6 1/2 it has still been an adjustment for me getting into and out of the BRZ. The seat step in appears to be lower than most Porsche's and approaches the step in height of some exotic cars. The trade off is you have a lot more head room. I am getting used to it after a couple of days of driving this car. Maybe all these Pilates classes I've been taking have allowed my mid to late 60's body to be more limber. I would think that a taller older person will have the most trouble on their knees and back. Perhaps for them a Mustang or a Challenger would be the better fit. I'm not giving up my Pilates classes.

Registered
I learned to sit down bum-first, then pull my head in while swinging feet up and over the sill. In my 124 Spider that鈥檚 not easy and I鈥檓 short. Can鈥檛 imagine trying it with long torso and legs!

Might need to bring back the Chrysler swivel seat from the early 鈥60s! :D
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive exterior

Registered
I've sat in and driven a 2018 Fiat 124 Spider. I can tell you point blank that I found it easier to get in and out of than the BRZ. It may have been because the top down. I'm not sure. The most difficult car I've ever found to get in and out of was a 2015 Lotus Elise. That was just frankly ridiculous. It literally took me a minute or so to figure it out. Once in it was great and actually easy to see out of. I did sit in an early Evora as well. In spite of the early car door post it was easier than an Elise. However, you had no vision out the back. I find I actually have better vision out of the BRZ than I had in my Fiat Abarth. Rear vision on the BRZ is great! But I love the idea of a swivel chair! I think all sportscars should have them.

Registered
2022 GR86 Track Bred Premium MT
The most difficult car I ever tried to get in and out of was a 2020 Supra. Had to duck my head and go in bum first. Getting out was even worse. The car was on the showroom floor. I basically fell out on my hands and knees on the floor. Luckily, there was no one around馃ぃ

Registered
@pngrant54 My 124 Spider is a 2018. I raised the back of the seats 30 mm to sit up higher and now even I at 5鈥5鈥 have to duck getting in with the top up. :LOL:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts