Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've installed a sub & amp I had in a previous car (never had a problem with them before) into the GR86.
For RCA output, I used a wiring harness that plugs in-line with the stock harness going into the factory (premium trim) amp in the trunk. This aftermarket harness goes in between the factory harness and the amp, so it just creates an extension, out of which comes a remote wire and a RCA out box.

The rest is pretty standard stuff: power and ground seem solid.
The amp shows a constant blue (OK) light so it doesn't appear that the power is cutting in/out, but the subwoofer will play, then not, then play, then not intermittently. It MIGHT (not sure) be acting up more when the volume is above 19 on the stock head unit.

Anyone else run into this? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you know the model of amp? I'm thinking the light doesn't quite mean what you think it means. It definitely sounds like some kind of power issue that you might need to get a cap for. Especially if you just added the amp on top of the stock one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know the model of amp? I'm thinking the light doesn't quite mean what you think it means. It definitely sounds like some kind of power issue that you might need to get a cap for. Especially if you just added the amp on top of the stock one.
It's an Alpine MRP-M350. It has a blue LED which indicates power on. When it has no power, LED turns off.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's an Alpine MRP-M350. It has a blue LED which indicates power on. When it has no power, LED turns off.
I'm sure you're probably aware of this - but have you tried testing by playing a single repeating beat that doesn't change and seeing if it cuts out - just wondering if there is a filter cutting out the frequency too low so you're only hearing super low bass (or certain frequencies that only appear sporadically in the song you're playing).

Probably not the issue but thought I'd suggest just incase.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure you're probably aware of this - but have you tried testing by playing a single repeating beat that doesn't change and seeing if it cuts out - just wondering if there is a filter cutting out the frequency too low so you're only hearing super low bass (or certain frequencies that only appear sporadically in the song you're playing).

Probably not the issue but thought I'd suggest just incase.
I didn't try that but it's worth a shot. Thx!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey all,

I've installed a sub & amp I had in a previous car (never had a problem with them before) into the GR86.
For RCA output, I used a wiring harness that plugs in-line with the stock harness going into the factory (premium trim) amp in the trunk. This aftermarket harness goes in between the factory harness and the amp, so it just creates an extension, out of which comes a remote wire and a RCA out box.

The rest is pretty standard stuff: power and ground seem solid.
The amp shows a constant blue (OK) light so it doesn't appear that the power is cutting in/out, but the subwoofer will play, then not, then play, then not intermittently. It MIGHT (not sure) be acting up more when the volume is above 19 on the stock head unit.

Anyone else run into this? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
The wiring harness that plugs straight in doesn't work out the box correctly. I did same thing but had to pull pins and re run them correctly. I also found it sound much better with amp is tied into the Front speakers not the rear speakers when connecting tto stock amp hence the repinning. In My Opinion anyways.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts