Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's according to Best Car Web, a Japanese scoop website. Could this make a stronger case for a FA24 powered Toyota GR86 and Subaru BRZ?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep , if wrx 2021 Is powered by Fa24 turbo , the brz and 86 Will be NA for sure , it's no sense to use in two different car the same engine with that price difference
Very true, it has always been like that.
If Subaru really hits it on the nail with this WRX then it could open up aftermarket support even more for both Subie's. Can't wait to see how things play out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does this mean that a GR86 could reliability have up to 415 BHP with an aftermarket turbo and tuning pack?

"The new STI-spec FA24 will reportedly get a reinforced crankshaft, beefier pistons, and, naturally, more boost pressure. Subaru engineers are said to be benchmarking the 2.0-liter turbo found in the Mercedes-AMG A 45, CLA 45, and new GLA 45, which makes an impressive 415 horsepower and 368 lb-ft of torque in "S" guise (and "only" 382 ponies and 354 lb-ft in regular spec). In addition, the next-gen STI will receive a version of Subaru's full-time symmetrical all-wheel drive system and enhanced braking capability."

·
Registered
697 Posts
Does this mean that a GR86 could reliability have up to 415 BHP with an aftermarket turbo and tuning pack?

"The new STI-spec FA24 will reportedly get a reinforced crankshaft, beefier pistons, and, naturally, more boost pressure. Subaru engineers are said to be benchmarking the 2.0-liter turbo found in the Mercedes-AMG A 45, CLA 45, and new GLA 45, which makes an impressive 415 horsepower and 368 lb-ft of torque in "S" guise (and "only" 382 ponies and 354 lb-ft in regular spec). In addition, the next-gen STI will receive a version of Subaru's full-time symmetrical all-wheel drive system and enhanced braking capability."

Not necessarily, as the head engineer has said that the FA24 in the twins was redesigned in a way and wasn’t just a “let’s take off the turbo.”

it should be more reliable then the previous engine with all the updated internals but only time will tell.

·
Registered
‘22 CWP BRZ Ordered
90 Posts
I wonder how difficult and expensive an engine swap would be. It's a shame it's not the same to provide a simple upgrade path to 415 bhp.
If it's the same basic differences as last get, basically impossible. Turbo is too low, no space for the downpipe, I believe bolt pattern for trans and starter location is different, etc.

·
Registered
22 BRZ
269 Posts
I wonder how difficult and expensive an engine swap would be. It's a shame it's not the same to provide a simple upgrade path to 415 bhp.
Probably doesn't make much sense. Would just wait for an aftermarket company to come out with a kit, shouldn't be too long. 415 would be a lot in a car like this though. I doubt I will, but if for some reason I need more power and I want to keep the same platform I'm definitely going to go supercharger.

·
Registered
162 Posts
300 hp should be easy with turbo or SC on this motor once they get ahold of it for a bit. I mean it's already been out on the Ascent since 2019 so it's got to be a reasonably reliable engine at this point. From the wiki....

FA24D[edit]
Like the preceding FA20D, the FA24D uses the Toyota D-4S fuel injection system, which combines direct and port injection. It has the same displacement as the FA24F turbocharged engine with an identical 94×86 mm bore and stroke, but the compression level is increased to 12.5:1.[16][17] Fitting the existing FA24F, with its bottom-mounted turbo, to the second generation Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86 would have required raising the price and overall center of gravity, so natural aspiration was chosen instead. The torque curve was revised, with peak torque coming at a lower engine speed in the FA24D, and without the significant torque decrease between 3,000–5,000 RPM exhibited by the FA20D, which resulted from tuning that engine for fuel economy.[18] In addition, an oil cooler has been added to the engine.[19]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Raise the price, I dgaf. I’d love a turbo manual lightweight rwd sports car, and I’d pay good $ for one. Toyota really missed the ball there. I’m still getting a GR86, but man, I’d have killed for turbo.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Raise the price, I dgaf. I’d love a turbo manual lightweight rwd sports car, and I’d pay good $ for one. Toyota really missed the ball there. I’m still getting a GR86, but man, I’d have killed for turbo.
They didn’t miss anything. It’s called not playing with their own money. Lmao.

With the GR Corolla coming out soon and the turbo 4 Supra on sale, last thing they would want to do is eat other sales in their own lineup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.