Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Japanese car news site Best Car Web, Subaru and Toyota are developing a new hot-hatch that is about the same size as the Impreza, has all-wheel drive, and has a horizontally opposed engine. The all-wheel drive system will not be the same one used in the GR Yaris.

They're reporting that this new car is expected to debut in November 2022.

Motor Authority is reporting that this hatchback will be slotted underneath the WRX in the Subaru lineup and it will have a less powerful version of Subaru's 2.4L boxer engine.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I hope its essentially a bigger version of the GR Yaris that's sold in more markets. Its what we really need.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would guess if Subaru is engineering it one can expect to see a hatchback version of the upcoming WRX with a less powerful engine. If the base WRX engine coming out in 2022 makes say 280 HP a detuned version could make 220 HP with a turbo. By sharing production with Toyota this is how Subaru and Toyota can charge less for this hatchback. Toyota will call it a GR Corolla hatchback but it will have very little in common with the Euro homologated GR Yaris. (My opinion). To detune the engine and reduce HP perhaps we will be looking at smaller displacement. As with the BRZ Toyota will be in charge of the styling.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would guess if Subaru is engineering it one can expect to see a hatchback version of the upcoming WRX with a less powerful engine. If the base WRX engine coming out in 2022 makes say 280 HP a detuned version could make 220 HP with a turbo. By sharing production with Toyota this is how Subaru and Toyota can charge less for this hatchback. Toyota will call it a GR Corolla hatchback but it will have very little in common with the Euro homologated GR Yaris. (My opinion). To detune the engine and reduce HP perhaps we will be looking at smaller displacement. As with the BRZ Toyota will be in charge of the styling.
I think that's the most logical way this goes. Toyota should leave the GR Yaris alone and not share its parts on this project. It's a win win as it brings back the WRX hatch and gives the Corolla hatch a huge boost.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The GR Yaris was orignally designed to be a rally car. In order to homoligate it Toyota had to make a production road car out of it and I assume sell a certain number of units. Based on the technology that is in that car I cannot imagine Toyota is making money on this car. The cost to modify this car into a larger platform(What Americans would want) would be astronomical. Toyota would probably have to charge 60K to break even. No mainstream buyer is going to spend 60K on a hot hatchback. I cannot imagine that the Civic Type R sells in super high volume or even a Hyundai Veloster N. The only logical way is share with Subaru to even make it affordable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts