Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here Subaru Japan covers many key technical details you need to know about the 2022 BRZ, like the new 2.4L engine, its low center of gravity, the dedicated platform and others relating to its driving dynamics. Other details include design, safety, utility and accessories.

A version of everything you will find below is available as a booklet and attached to this post. Its in Japanese.
____

DRIVING

The
"BOXER engine,"
"Rear Wheel Drive," and
"Zenith = ultimate pure sports car," which are the origins of the BRZ name, have been developed with the aim of taking them one step further,
rather than extending them up to now .
That is SUBARU engineering.

I wanted to create a sports car of a new era that
"all riders can enjoy themselves with peace of mind" by combining the unique technologies that SUBARU has continued to refine
SUBARU BRZ DRIVING

A run that can only be created by SUBARU.
Learn more about “DRIVING”

New 2.4L D-4S (*) horizontally opposed engine that realizes linear and desired acceleration

Achieve "linear and desired" acceleration
New 2.4L D-4S (*)
Horizontally opposed engine
Subaru's unique low center of gravity has further evolved the horizontally opposed engine. Thoroughly strengthened intake and exhaust, reduced friction and improved torque. In addition to powerful acceleration, it achieves an engine feel that smoothly blows up to high revs that cannot be obtained with a turbo.
* TOYOTA D-4S (Direct injection 4 stroke gasoline engine Superior version) is a registered trademark of Toyota Motor Corporation.
Ultra-low center of gravity package with ultra-low center of gravity and front-rear weight balance

Ultra-low center of gravity package with ultra-low center of gravity and front-rear weight balance

Extremely low center of gravity and front-rear weight balance
Ultra low center of gravity package
Lightweight aluminum material is used for the roof, hood, fenders, and front housing to achieve an ultra-low center of gravity (center of gravity height of about -4mm compared to conventional models), and the front and rear weight balance is optimized to improve exercise performance. Achieve the desired handling.
I want to ride forever A dedicated platform that utilizes the knowledge of SGP (*) that realizes high-quality driving

"I want to ride forever"
Achieve high-quality driving
Dedicated platform utilizing the knowledge of SGP (*)
Adopting Subaru Global Platform concept, inner frame construction method, and structural adhesive, the front lateral bending rigidity is improved by about 60% and the torsional rigidity is improved by about 50%. A special body skeleton that maximizes FR driving by gathering new engines, aluminum parts, and passengers in the lower center.
(*) Subaru Global Platform
Innovative AT SPORT mode that automatically responds to the driver's intention (AT vehicles only)

Automatically respond to the driver's intention
Innovation AT SPORT mode
(AT cars only)
AT SPORT mode where you can enjoy good driving with the touch of a button. More intuitive driving is possible by automatically performing the optimum shift operation according to the movement of the car and the intention and operation of the driver when cornering.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
DESIGN:

SUBARU BRZ DESIGN (design)

Every shape has meaning.
Learn more about "DESIGN"

A one-of-a-kind exterior that eliminates waste and pursues a sports car feel

Pursuing the uniqueness of a sports car by removing waste
One and only exterior
The design philosophy "DYNAMIC x SOLID" has been further evolved with the "BOLDER" concept. A low center of gravity is expressed by arranging the SUBARU-like hexagon grille wide at the bottom of the bumper.
Functional beauty aerodynamic design that controls even the flow of air

Functional beauty that controls the flow of air
Aerodynamic design
The air flow is thoroughly designed, not just the body shape. Air outlets are set on the front and rear, and the aerodynamic texture of the front bumper duct is pursued to the angle. Controls turbulence around the vehicle body and improves steering stability.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DESIGN (continued):
Cockpit design that enhances the desire to run

Increase the desire to run
Cockpit design
The front view is designed to be horizontal so that you can concentrate on driving. Intuitive operation, high-quality switches, and a meter design that switches between driving modes increase expectations for driving.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SAFETY:
SUBARU BRZ SAFETY (Safety)

The highest level of safety for everyone.
Learn more about "SAFETY"

A driving support system that is safe for both passengers and pedestrians EyeSight standard equipment (AT vehicles only)

A driving support system that is safe for both riders and pedestrians
"EyeSight" standard equipment
(AT cars only)
Pre-crash brake to protect occupants and pedestrians in case of emergency. In addition, it is equipped with a lane protrusion warning and cruise control that follows all vehicle speeds. In addition to safety, driver stress is also reduced. In addition, AT vehicles are equipped with brake assist when reversing as standard equipment.
Collision safety that protects occupants by adopting ultra-high-strength steel plate and knee airbag

Adopted ultra-high-strength steel plate and knee airbag
Collision safety to protect occupants
Lightweight and highly rigid "ultra-high-strength steel plate" has been adopted for the body skeleton and expanded to improve occupant protection performance. A total of seven airbags are used, including curtain airbags that protect against diagonal collisions and knee airbags that protect the legs.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UTILITY:
SUBARU BRZ UTILITY (utility)

I want to be a partner who is close to my life.
Learn more about “UTILITY”

Living space where you can enjoy a comfortable drive

Living space where you can enjoy a comfortable drive

Enjoy a comfortable drive
Living room space
Although it is a sports car, it is a living room space that can seat four people. The backseat also has the practicality of holding a bag for things you want to take out immediately, or a small amount of shopping baggage.
Luggage space that can be used for golf, travel, and circuits

Can be used for golf, travel, and circuits
Luggage space
Sufficient luggage space is secured by loading trunks and bags for travel in the luggage compartment. Furthermore, by folding the rear seats, four tires for golf bags and circuit driving can be loaded.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Subaru's car manufacturing
that
provides mutual feedback between commercial vehicles and GT machines
Except for the widened part, the GT300 machine has many parts in common with commercial cars.
Of course, it may be restricted by regulation, but
the angle of the A pillar and the silhouette flowing to the rear quarter are exactly the same as the new BRZ.
It is also a part that greatly affects aerodynamics in a race machine, and the fact
that such specifications are good is a great attraction and a weapon.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Check out the ultimate pure sports car in detail in the "New SUBARU BRZ Japan Premier Book", a book that talks about the evolution of the SUBARU BRZ!
Also available at SUBARU retailers! *

• □ The appeal of the new SUBARU BRZ, which the development manager talks about
  • □ Evolved points such as engine and EyeSight
  • □ Features of exterior / interior design
  • □ New SUBARU BRZ SUPER GT latest vehicle information
  • □ Test drive impression comment by a professional driver
  • □ Introducing the entire evolution of the new SUBARU BRZ, including information on genuine accessories and STI performance parts !

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Subaru has a video that goes through some of the engineering for the BRZ.

(translated from Japanese)
00:00 Opening: New features
01:10 2.4L horizontally opposed 4-cylinder engine
01:42 Platform
02:11 Ultra-low center of gravity FR package: Low center of gravity with aluminum roof
03:01 Ultra-low center of gravity FR package: "FR" and "BRZ" for SUBARU
03:55 Design & aerodynamic performance
05:24 Safety: EyeSight
06:17 Safety: Collision safety performance
07:10 Ending: After development

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Subaru has a video that goes through some of the engineering for the BRZ.

(translated from Japanese)
00:00 Opening: New features
01:10 2.4L horizontally opposed 4-cylinder engine
01:42 Platform
02:11 Ultra-low center of gravity FR package: Low center of gravity with aluminum roof
03:01 Ultra-low center of gravity FR package: "FR" and "BRZ" for SUBARU
03:55 Design & aerodynamic performance
05:24 Safety: EyeSight
06:17 Safety: Collision safety performance
07:10 Ending: After development

The aluminum roof is great but I hope this time around we finally get a true STi version with a carbon fiber roof and other hardcore performance bits. The big displacement and power bump this time around should make it even more likely to happen.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The aluminum roof is great but I hope this time around we finally get a true STi version with a carbon fiber roof and other hardcore performance bits. The big displacement and power bump this time around should make it even more likely to happen.
View attachment 1023
If there was ever a time to do it it's now because there might not be a next opportunity with everything moving to hybrid and electric.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If there was ever a time to do it it's now because there might not be a next opportunity with everything moving to hybrid and electric.
IMO, as long as the platform, power/torque output, suspension and so on provide a nice baseline, like what we finally got, then a hotter version has some real potential to happen. Plus, I doubt the move towards electrification would stop that. An 86 can still exist.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Personally I have zero interest in STI version. However I am definitely interested in factory performance parts that I can add onto my car in a way that makes the car unique to me.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Personally I have zero interest in STI version. However I am definitely interested in factory performance parts that I can add onto my car in a way that makes the car unique to me.
TRD has stepped up a lot in recent years with performance parts. Anything specific you want to see from them? How about aftermarket companies?

·
Registered
100 Posts
TRD has stepped up a lot in recent years with performance parts. Anything specific you want to see from them? How about aftermarket companies?
If we were dreaming about what factory, TRD, STi, GRMN, or whatever could provide, it would be a flexfuel capability.

I don't understand why its not part of the car, its performance oriented, its environmentally a better fuel (less emissions) and it would allow them to get closer to those turbo peak performance numbers.

But anyway, I really liked what TRD did last time in japan, where they offered so many awesome performance things. Unfortunately it felt like this wasn't part of what I could get done in my country, so perhaps they should make more of an effort to make these performance accessories more clearly and readily available to other markets.

I don't want to have to go onto a Japanese website, find the English version of the pages, and then see the items all in yen.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If we were dreaming about what factory, TRD, STi, GRMN, or whatever could provide, it would be a flexfuel capability.

I don't understand why its not part of the car, its performance oriented, its environmentally a better fuel (less emissions) and it would allow them to get closer to those turbo peak performance numbers.

But anyway, I really liked what TRD did last time in japan, where they offered so many awesome performance things. Unfortunately it felt like this wasn't part of what I could get done in my country, so perhaps they should make more of an effort to make these performance accessories more clearly and readily available to other markets.

I don't want to have to go onto a Japanese website, find the English version of the pages, and then see the items all in yen.
With all that was accomplished with the 86, this time we have a better chance at seeing more aftermarket options for the US, UK and so on. What is aftermarket support like for the 86 and BRZ at the moment?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts