Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jason Cammisa gets an in-person look at the new BRZ and explains how Subaru improved it over the old car. Particularly the torque curve with the new 2.4L engine.

With some math he calculates that the BRZ will pull harden than a MX-5 Miata.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes and he gave even a better explanation of why the BRZ/86 does NOT need to be turbocharged. Prices keep going up and up. A Veloster N is pushing 35K now. that begins to take it out of the realm of affordability. He correctly points out all the affordable sports cars over the past 30 years that are no longer here because they have been priced out of the market. A Toyota GR Yaris is a wonderful car. Its gotten fabulous reviews. But of course Toyota is not really making any money on it at the price they are selling in Europe. Would I wish it were coming here. You bet.
The problem is I just don't have 50K lying under my mattress to buy it. While well to do car enthusiasts would buy it the car is too small for the American public. People have adjusted to paying higher gas prices now as SUVs and CUV's dominate the market now. If the GR Yaris came out in 2005 or even 2010 it would have been a smash hit. But that time is past. But we still have fun to drive cars 30K or less. They are very few and far between. The BRZ/86 represents that important market. So if it doesn't have the nicest interior, if it does not have a turbo so be it. Accept and be grateful for its uniqueness for what it is. We just lost the 124 Spider. It may not have been everyone's cup of tea(I personally liked its styling) but now we have one less affordable RWD sportscar available to buy. And then with electrification on the horizon what will that mean? The answer is pretty obvious.............

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yes and he gave even a better explanation of why the BRZ/86 does NOT need to be turbocharged. Prices keep going up and up. A Veloster N is pushing 35K now. that begins to take it out of the realm of affordability. He correctly points out all the affordable sports cars over the past 30 years that are no longer here because they have been priced out of the market. A Toyota GR Yaris is a wonderful car. Its gotten fabulous reviews. But of course Toyota is not really making any money on it at the price they are selling in Europe. Would I wish it were coming here. You bet.
The problem is I just don't have 50K lying under my mattress to buy it. While well to do car enthusiasts would buy it the car is too small for the American public. People have adjusted to paying higher gas prices now as SUVs and CUV's dominate the market now. If the GR Yaris came out in 2005 or even 2010 it would have been a smash hit. But that time is past. But we still have fun to drive cars 30K or less. They are very few and far between. The BRZ/86 represents that important market. So if it doesn't have the nicest interior, if it does not have a turbo so be it. Accept and be grateful for its uniqueness for what it is. We just lost the 124 Spider. It may not have been everyone's cup of tea(I personally liked its styling) but now we have one less affordable RWD sportscar available to buy. And then with electrification on the horizon what will that mean? The answer is pretty obvious.............
Well put. There's simply no replacement for displacement. And I rather have a linear power curve any day of the week versus forced induction. You don't see Ferrari throwing turbos in its drivers cars. Its all NA! Best of all, anyone that does want FI, now has a better baseline to do so.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well put. There's simply no replacement for displacement. And I rather have a linear power curve any day of the week versus forced induction. You don't see Ferrari throwing turbos in its drivers cars. Its all NA! Best of all, anyone that does want FI, now has a better baseline to do so.
Well actually all Ferrari's are turbo-ed now except the F12. The Portofino, the Roma the 488 replacement are actually all V8 turbo's. However Ferrari has spent a lot of R & D designing the engines and transmissions to virtually eliminate turbo lag and make the engines feel N/A. But if you research current new Ferrari's on line only the F12 is not turbo-ed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just wondering if it’s possible to have an electrified BRZ/86 in the future in the form of hybrid, plug-in hybrid, or pure electric? And if that comes, possibly without manual tranny, will it still be fun to drive or be considered as a true driver’s car?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well actually all Ferrari's are turbo-ed now except the F12. The Portofino, the Roma the 488 replacement are actually all V8 turbo's. However Ferrari has spent a lot of R & D designing the engines and transmissions to virtually eliminate turbo lag and make the engines feel N/A. But if you research current new Ferrari's on line only the F12 is not turbo-ed.
Didn't realize that. McLaren has also done a lot on turbo lag.
The McLaren P1 was a great example of it all thanks to the 'torque fill' feature.

Just wondering if it’s possible to have an electrified BRZ/86 in the future in the form of hybrid, plug-in hybrid, or pure electric? And if that comes, possibly without manual tranny, will it still be fun to drive or be considered as a true driver’s car?
It is but the market hasn't reached that point yet.
After it happens to the Mustang, Lexus RC, Infiniti Q60, and upmarket coupes like that, then we're next.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It is but the market hasn't reached that point yet.
After it happens to the Mustang, Lexus RC, Infiniti Q60, and upmarket coupes like that, then we're next.
I know it’s coming but no idea how soon since battery tech is still in its infancy. Just wondering if it’s still a good time to consider getting a 86/BRZ, or any other petrol cars, or better wait for awhile and go fully electric.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I know it’s coming but no idea how soon since battery tech is still in its infancy. Just wondering if it’s still a good time to consider getting a 86/BRZ, or any other petrol cars, or better wait for awhile and go fully electric.
We're in for another decade of ICE vehicles.
A key example is Toyota that just invested $200 Million into a US engine plant that strictly focuses on ICE powertrains.

If you wait for better, you'll always be waiting.

Improvements made to the GR86/BRZ are exactly what these cars needed from the start to be near perfect.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Also there is news from Porsche about a new synthetic fuel that may put out less emissions overall then the production
of an EV vehicle. It is in a testing stage right now but early results look promising. Apparently it can be used on existing "ice vehicles". If this is successful that could mean that ice vehicles could hang around for quite some time.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Also there is news from Porsche about a new synthetic fuel that may put out less emissions overall then the production
of an EV vehicle. It is in a testing stage right now but early results look promising. Apparently it can be used on existing "ice vehicles". If this is successful that could mean that ice vehicles could hang around for quite some time.
More macro than that, 2035 is when new ICE car sales will be banned across North America

1 - 10 of 10 Posts