Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
I found this video which compare all exhausts for Subaru BRZ

Very helpful if you are thinking which exhausts to upgrade and find the best sound you like.

You can click on the video for all exhausts timestamps & links

Which exhaust you liked the most?
I had the MXP Comp RS Catback exhaust on my 86 and loved the sound, not a lot of drone and sounded nice and deep with some satisfying crackles and pops and to me was the perfect volume for the car and engine. Topped it off with the grimmspeed cold air intake and it was a beautiful symphony of sounds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I found this video which compare all exhausts for Subaru BRZ

Very helpful if you are thinking which exhausts to upgrade and find the best sound you like.

You can click on the video for all exhausts timestamps & links

Which exhaust you liked the most?
I’m not going to lie, I came from a world of v8s. I love a nice sound. I can’t find anything here that doesn’t remind me of a fart can civic. The Borla and magna flow cat backs might be the way to go, but I can’t shake the idea that there might be a header combo out there to get rid of this silly 4-popper farting sound that can make it sound a bit more exotic. I appreciate the video, I hope I do find a combo that makes me really crazy for it

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Limited
15 Posts
I’m not going to lie, I came from a world of v8s. I love a nice sound. I can’t find anything here that doesn’t remind me of a fart can civic. The Borla and magna flow cat backs might be the way to go, but I can’t shake the idea that there might be a header combo out there to get rid of this silly 4-popper farting sound that can make it sound a bit more exotic. I appreciate the video, I hope I do find a combo that makes me really crazy for it
Im looking for a combo too, I want tomei headers for sure but I don't think that is quite enough for me..........

·
Registered
226 Posts
Nice comparison, personally I like a deeper rumble tone, so for me it would be either Borla, Magnaflow or Perrin.
Honestly, I think tip size/length has a great deal to do with that. If you listen to clips of the Remark BOSO axle-back, the super long tip seems to play a big role in how deep it sounds. If you think Trumpet Vs Tuba, the size plays a major part in that.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I would say Injen Super SES has the best non-obnoxious tone. Good mid-range resonance and low-frequency rumble without too much high-pitched crackle.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You know, I gotta say, I had the perrin resonated cat back on my previous gen BRZ, and I thought it was amazing. I didnt want anything super loud, and all I modded was the exhaust (no front pipe or headers) since it was a DD. I was looking for a deeper rumble akin to subie and nothing deafening. This was my use-case and preface to the desired effect.

Okay, so with that said, on this years model the perrin simply doesn't sound right IMO. I don't know how to describe it. Maybe its due to the EL headers? It just sounds flat.
Sources:

This one sounds the best that I could find online for the 2022:

That said, I think the HKS Spec-L exhaust on the new 2022 sounds like the perrin on the old cars.
Take a listen:

Keep this in mind when browsing for exhausts: previous gen exhausts on previous gen BRZ sound comparisons do not directly carry over to the new car.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Does anyone know if this cat back will fit the 22 BRZ

and what other cat backs / front pipes/ headers fit or dont fit

1 - 20 of 47 Posts