Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its not getting 6 seconds without revving it to redline in second - this guy short shifted
Exactly, it doesn't reach peak power until 7,000 RPM. Even so, it still requires a shift to 3rd gear to reach 60mph or100km/h. If the redline was raised closer to 8,000 RPM then it may be possible to reach 60mph in 2nd gear (eliminating the time wasted shifting to 3rd gear). This would likely result in a 5.8s or so.

From what I've seen, it's pretty close in real world acceleration (0-60) to the ND2 Miata. The BRZ/GR86 starts pulling away at higher speeds thanks to a better power-to-weight ratio.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
1,166 Posts
Exactly, it doesn't reach peak power until 7,000 RPM. Even so, it still requires a shift to 3rd gear to reach 60mph or100km/h. If the redline was raised closer to 8,000 RPM then it may be possible to reach 60mph in 2nd gear (eliminating the time wasted shifting to 3rd gear). This would likely result in a 5.8s or so.

From what I've seen, it's pretty close in real world acceleration (0-60) to the ND2 Miata. The BRZ/GR86 starts pulling away at higher speeds thanks to a better power-to-weight ratio.
I'm not sure yet - while yes power drops off after 7k, you are still going faster - with redline at 7400 I feel as though that will be very very close to 60mph.

Also, these gearboxes seem to be far more suitable for harder faster shifts going from what I've seen in reviews.

·
Registered
760 Posts
It is very close to 60mph. But the RPM/gearing/final-drive/tire-size math says you need 3rd gear for 60mph. (And 100kph is 62mph.)

Now if the standard was 0-50mph, the BRZ vs ND2 narrative might be more clearcut. But who cares? It's such an arbitrary metric. If that metric were really important, Subaru (or you) could simply change the final drive. Indeed, Subaru did change it between Gen 1.0 and Gen 1.1 (for better acceleration) , and now back again for Gen 2.0 (for better highway fuel economy) .

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,090 Posts
Car and driver as well as other youtubers have confirmed the manual cars hit exactly 60mph when the rev limiter is hit at the top of 2nd gear. If you are chasing that 0-60 number I have seen it done in the mid 5 second range. 0-100kmh although similar does require a shift to 3rd because that is 62MPH. Still 7 seconds is slow for this car. High 5s to low 6s should be easy unless you are at high elevation.

·
Registered
BRZ S (Limited) Manual Silver
335 Posts
7 seconds to 100kph seems slow. Subaru claim 6.3. Motor Magazine in Australia, in their Sports Car of the Year test, got 6.21. It feels like a low 6s car to me (butt dyno).

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Car and driver has a time deep into the 5 second range. I have done 5.8 0-60 according to my OBDII scanner. Its not all fancy using GPS, but uses the speedo info in the ECU. The "problem" is if you are chasing numbers on paper do NOT shift into 3rd gear to obtain a fast time. In a manual trans car exactly 60mph hits the rev limiter in 2nd gear. If you just bring it all the way to the limit you save .2-.3 seconds.

·
Registered
BRZ S (Limited) Manual Silver
335 Posts
Car and driver has a time deep into the 5 second range. I have done 5.8 0-60 according to my OBDII scanner. Its not all fancy using GPS, but uses the speedo info in the ECU. The "problem" is if you are chasing numbers on paper do NOT shift into 3rd gear to obtain a fast time. In a manual trans car exactly 60mph hits the rev limiter in 2nd gear. If you just bring it all the way to the limit you save .2-.3 seconds.
You won’t get 100kph without hitting the limiter.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You won’t get 100kph without hitting the limiter.
Thats what I said. Just bring 2nd gear all the way up til it bangs the rev limiter. Not ideal for real world performance, but if you are chasing 0-60 times thats how its done.
I suppose 100kph is actually 62mph so that may not be possible. I "Americanized" the numbers. But even to 100kph should be able to happen in 6.0 pretty easy if you have the ps4 tires. It can easily do 3-4 tenths faster than that on better rubber too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts